January 2 Start Date! Anyone else?

Laurenacc

Day 13 here!  My husband and I are doing great.  He's had a harder time since he's had to travel, but overall we haven't had too many problems.  He feels great - I am feeling good too, but am tired a lot.  I'm sleeping great - but find it hard to get out of bed.  I think my SAD might be rearing its head.  I'm trying to get back on my supplements and have been using my UV light.  Hopefully I perk up soon.  

Overall though, I think it helps we were already big on weekend meal prep, and we were eating a lot like Whole30 - just with alcohol and bread.  I love the challenge of seeking out new recipes and trying new things.  If anyone needs any help in this arena I am happy to answer questions!  

I can't believe we are all almost half way there!  We are doing this!  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Whole30 really is flying by.  I was planning on doing an AIP after the first 30 days of standard Whole30 but am going to have to just do a normal reintroduction since I found out I'll be traveling to Costa Rica for an All Inclusive at the end of February.  Will have to pick up the AIP version in March!  Hope everyone's doing well this Friday.  Remember to stay busy this weekend!

Here we are on Day 19...and tearing it up!! :D

Good past few days...at least from a learning perspective. I'd had a number of days where I was eating too late to get to yoga and that was making me frustrated, but there were other wins. For example:

Friday was the first day I had a meal out since this W30 started. This was a work lunch, and we were at a Mexican restaurant, where I'd normally get a cheese slathered chimichanga, eat all the rice and beans, and I can neither confirm nor deny that I might have in that former life had a 'rita as well. Aaaand by the end I'd be stuffed and ready for nap!WELL. Current Whole30 me quizzed the server on every possible part of my lunch selection: does this have sugar? Agave? Filler? etc. What I wound up with was: Sliced steak, onions and peppers fajita style (totally compliant!) accompanied by pico de gallo (again NO sugar and compliant--a squeeze of lime on top).

Saturday we had a busy run around day, which included a baby shower. Ate before hand, quizzed the caterer and drank fizzy water with double lime in a champagne flute all afternoon. Classy!

By Saturday late afternoon though, I was getting HUNGRY...so went an unusual route and made from scratch POKE and 'SUSHI' ROLLS. Did I mention from scratch? SO good. SO SO SO good. And utterly compliant. Made spicy tuna with sushi grade tuna and whole30 mayo mixed with coconut aminos, a splash or three of fish sauce, garlic powder, minced thai chilis, toasted sesame seeds and some crazy voodoo magic because I tell you, it was better than the order out kind for SURE. The 'rolls' were avocado, lettuce, carrot, cucumber, cabbage and tuna and both the rolls and the poke bowl had 21 Seasoning Salute from TJ's sprinkled over it which was amazing. 

Sunday was a finish things up day, so did not get to a cooking WOD, but we have plenty going on in the fridge to get started, including a SOUS VIDE shredded pork which we had over sweet potatoes and with a nice salad tonight. In all, quite a win in the kitchen these past few days.

Tomorrow I have to hit the studio again...took these past few days off, and I'm missing it. That's a great sign, as far as I am concerned.

Anyway to all, have a great week!!

IMG_2267.jpg

Day 22! I love seeing all the photos and recipes. How's everyone doing? I'm at that point where my meals have become easy and routine. I still have the urge to snack now and then. That's the main thing I'm dealing with. Exercise is much easier and sleep is better. Who else from 1/2 start date are still out there? I see the light at the end of the tunnel! 

Still here going strong.  Energy levels are super, sleep is great, "everything is awesome."  My exercising improving as well.  Did a full hour at 15 MPH on exercise bike and 80 pushups last night.  Before it was either/or not both!  And my bike was around 12.5 MPH.  So I'd say Tiger Blood is kicking in!

DH and I were just discussing how we would most likely keep going with the program like 80% of the time.  It just makes sense for us to continue to keep us on track during the work week.  On weekends, (after reintro) and on travel, we can relax a little, and moderately enjoy dairy, alcohol, etc.  Once we start working out again, we can really shed some extra weight - which we need to do!  

But overall we are really having fun!  Food is great, we are getting creative, and enjoying ourselves.  

Speaking of reintro - are most people planning to slow roll?  We are starting on the first with red wine :)

I plan on doing the standard 10 day reintroduction.  I'll probably start with Gluten, then Beans, then non-gluten grains and finally dairy. 

This is the order I've chosen because from my previous whole30 I know that dairy and gluten are issues and I want to validate that.  So gluten first, then two things that didn't give me issues (beans and non-gluten grains) and finish with dairy.  That way I will have more time between the items that I 'know' give me problems to really isolate it better. 

I may actually split dairy up into bits and pieces: non-cheese dairy, hard cheese and soft cheese separated from each other. 

I have no fear of slipping now which is also refreshing.  My first whole30 I was so "over it" by now and my second I self sabotaged around this time. :) 

I won't be reintroducing alcohol because I don't drink much anyway.

I think I'm going to try for a mix of slow roll and standard, maybe a day or two slower on some things. I'm fairly certain that soy, gluten, and dairy are all kind of not so good to me anymore, but it will be good for me to really be sure, and by how much. Soy seems a lot less bad to me than gluten, which seems less bad than dairy, but I want to be extra sure. I totally borked my last reintro because I went on vacation right after so, yeah. I am less worried though about finding out what really gives me problems, and more focused on trying to keep up the good habits.

For me it also really makes sense to just try to keep eating mostly this way during the week, especially since husband and I have alternate schedules during the week and so I rarely can share any meals with him then anyway, so I won't have to worry about his distaste for some of my less great cooking "experiments". ;) 

It just generally becomes harder and harder as the year wears on for me to maintain the good habits as after february starts all the family birthdays and then the traveling for work and then the holidays and etc, etc, etc. I started out last year really good with my Whole30 and by the end of the year, I had turned back into a sugar-fiend. Almost every meal started and/or ended with Christmas cookies. And not the paleo kind either.

So I really need to learn to take my time and do this right. I really want a mostly paleo diet to be a lasting lifestyle change for me.

Just a few days left how is everyone doing?  I almost had an issue yesterday.  I went to Whole Foods after an event I was judging and they had some butternut squash with cranberries as one of the sides.  Fortunately before I took the first bite of it I realized, Cranberries - often noncompliant due to sugar, I didn't bother to check if they were or weren't (almost certainly they weren't) so I just avoided that and ate the other food I'd gotten. Darn sneaky sugar.  My sleep is absolutely nuts.  I've gone from 16-18% REM Sleep to a high of 30% last night and generally staying around 22-24%.  So many dreams and such deep sleep!

Since I'm past lunch now we only have 3 and a 1/3rd day left!  Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Final Day!  Breakfast was a Kale, Sundried Tomato and Artichoke Frittata that I topped with half an avocado and EBB Seasoning with a side of Blueberries and Sauerkraut (weird pairing I know but I've been craving sauerkraut so much!).  Lunch is going to be tough today but I have Chicken Tikka Masala I can heat up whenever I get a free moment.  Dinner will be boneless pork spare ribs and some salad!

Excited for reintroduction tomorrow.  I'm starting with gluten > legumes > non-gluten > dairy (mild) > dairy (heavy)

Woohoo! Can't believe we are already finishing Day 30! Where did the time go??? Planning on checking that pesky scale & measurements in the AM to see what changes happened...if any!

I'm planning on continuing with reintro for 15 days- tomorrow (Day 31) will be gluten-free alcohol, 34 with legumes, 37 with gluten-free grains, 40 with dairy, 43 with grains with gluten. 2 weeks left!!!

Congrats everyone!  Finished last night with an awesome dinner of Boneless Pork Rib, Salad and Beets.  It was so good. :) 

It's so interesting how different my 3 whole30s have been.  The first one was hard due to lack of experience with recipes and meal prep.  The second was hard because I'd "been there done that" and ultimately failed at day 25 (somewhat planned) and this one was by far the easiest and seemed the fastest!

I'll post my various "victories" in the other forum.  Wishing everyone well.  I'll be back in March for my AIP Whole30!

Congrats again to everyone for a great Whole30.  I enjoyed our quick blurbs of encouragement to each other and the meal ideas that were shared.  I hope that everyone re-intros well....or continues with mild modifications.  Probably do another about mid-year and then again in Jan....seems to be my pattern.   Blessings for a healthy 2019!

It was a great 30 days!  We started reintro last night with a little red wine.  It was well earned :)

We plan to finish the reintro (in the order recommended) and then go from there.  

Also I just have to share!  We weighed ourselves this morning - I lost 5 lbs and my husband lost 10!  Both our BMIs and Fat % are down too (this is as the scale tells us, so the trend is more important than the number).  We both finally feel good enough to start really working out again.  

We are very happy with our Whole30 and look forward to taking everything we learned and will learn about ourselves forward in our lives.  

Congrats to all!  

How's everyone feeling during reintro? Not sure if anyone is still on this thread now that the initial 30 days are over.

Day 39 coming to an end here- and I can't believe this time next week, I will be completely finished with my whole30 reset & reintro! Crazy! My main concern is pigging out on all the things I've "missed". I noticed this time around that I've been seeing PIZZA in the light at the end of the tunnel more often than I did during my last reset :lol: I'll just need to really evaluate options before I sit down to a meal and figure out what is "worth it". Easier said than done when you keep dreaming about sandwiches...mmm, bread!

I made sure to weigh myself and take measurements the morning of 2/1 (Day 31)- I lost 15.6 lbs :blink:, 2.5 inches from my bust, 2 inches from underbust, 4 inches from waist, and 2 inches from hips. Planning on checking stats again once I'm completely finished the morning of 2/16. 

Day 40 tomorrow with dairy reintro...looking forward to cheese. But I remember during my last dairy reintro, I was totally grossed out by all the items I reintroduced (yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese). Everything tasted disgusting...so I'm wondering if that's going to be a repeat this time around. :wacko:

Welp, 6-ish days left! Home stretch! Woohoo!

Archived