Evening Workout, early bed time, when should I eat?

rosycheeks

Hey guys! I plan on doing my second round in January, except this time I'll also be working out. I typically workout right after work, around 5:30 pm. I'm home by 7:30 and usually in bed by 9:30. I have acid reflux issues so I try not to eat a big meal when I get home. My workouts are of low to moderate intensity. I'm not sure when to eat dinner and whether or not I need to do a pre and/or post workout snack. Should I eat an early dinner before the gym and a small post workout snack?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rosycheeks said:

Should I eat an early dinner before the gym and a small post workout snack?

This makes the most sense to me. Try it for a week or so, and if you feel like it's not working for you, come back and let us know what's going on and we'll see if we can help you figure out something that works better.

• 2 weeks later...

When you say "low to moderate intensity", what type of workout do you do? I'd honestly try to see if you can handle (both the exercise performance and hunger) without any supplemental meals, and then only if you see either hunger/performance being problematic then look to adjust and add an extra meal. For most workout programs your standard diet will likely suffice to get you through just fine - and I'd try with the default meal schedule and then look to adjust, as opposed to worrying about the extra meals up front.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Great to be starting somewhere! Given this plan I think you should likely be able to fuel just based off of stored energy, and not need to add any additional meals to your day. I'd recommend giving it a couple weeks,  but if you do find your workouts really lagging then certainly fine to add in another "template-based" meal (good mix of fat/protein pre-workout of protein-carbs post-workout).

Archived