ChristyJ

Who's starting 1/1?

Recommended Posts

I agree! If I get tempted at work, I will try to drink water or tea to distract myself and bring emergency snacks just in case. It will be difficult to avoid outings with family and friends, so I am trying to figure out a strategy on how to stay compliant (i.e. bring my own meals or snacks? try to modify my order? suggest restaurants that have compliant options?) Suggestions welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opening the new year with my first Whole30, also. I'll be 40 this year, am married, and have 3 kids (son is 20, daughters are 14 and 9). My mom and dad also live in the same household, so when son's not away at school there are 7 of us (4 adults). I've been doing meal planning for most of the past year, just to make sure we can feed us all and stay on budget, so at least that's not a completely new thing now that I'm diving into Whole30 :)

I'm using Whole30 as a vehicle to help me break unhealthy food habits, and I'm open to the idea of it extending past the first month based on how I feel toward the end. There are certain things that I do not intend to reintroduce, others that will be brought back in a limited way, because I believe that'll just be the healthier option in my case. I'm not here to lose weight, but I'm hopeful that developing a healthier relationship with food will lead to a healthier weight, too.

My biggest challenge will be me. I have a history of sabotage, but I've been learning to live a better way -- the past is where/what I come from (or out of), but I live in and for the future; only I can determine my own actions and reactions. I'm learning to recognize situations when sabotage would be easy, and consciously make better choices instead.

If anyone's wanting to start a group text (or group Skype?) to support each other, I'm interested :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, snacksandsweat said:

Hi everyone, I plan to start Whole 30 on January 1st! This will be my second time (I did my first Whole 30 in June 2017). This past year I fell into a rut with my healthy habits and returned back to binge-eating and out-of-control sugar cravings. I want to reset and get back on track with eating right and nourishing my body so I can improve my energy levels, reduce inflammation, and establish a healthy attitude and relationship with food.

The biggest temptations/challenges that I foresee are succumbing to temptations (candy, chocolate, pastries, chips) at work or social events, and eating out with family (we tend to go to restaurants that are carb-heavy, e.g. noodles, dumplings, rice, etc.). I hope joining this forum will help keep me accountable because I could definitely use the support! 

Hi there! These are the same kind of issues for me, too. I'm usually pretty healthy but this past year I got lazier with my exercise, ate wayyyyy more sweets and treats, and basically got out of touch with my body. I'd love to develop better habits and a better relationship to food!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jihanna said:

Opening the new year with my first Whole30, also. I'll be 40 this year, am married, and have 3 kids (son is 20, daughters are 14 and 9). My mom and dad also live in the same household, so when son's not away at school there are 7 of us (4 adults). I've been doing meal planning for most of the past year, just to make sure we can feed us all and stay on budget, so at least that's not a completely new thing now that I'm diving into Whole30 :)

I'm using Whole30 as a vehicle to help me break unhealthy food habits, and I'm open to the idea of it extending past the first month based on how I feel toward the end. There are certain things that I do not intend to reintroduce, others that will be brought back in a limited way, because I believe that'll just be the healthier option in my case. I'm not here to lose weight, but I'm hopeful that developing a healthier relationship with food will lead to a healthier weight, too.

My biggest challenge will be me. I have a history of sabotage, but I've been learning to live a better way -- the past is where/what I come from (or out of), but I live in and for the future; only I can determine my own actions and reactions. I'm learning to recognize situations when sabotage would be easy, and consciously make better choices instead.

If anyone's wanting to start a group text (or group Skype?) to support each other, I'm interested :)

Hi Jihanna! I'm Gia. I really appreciate so much of what you're saying here (I, too, am my own biggest challenge) and am very impressed with your meal plans for a household of 7! Impressive!

I'd love to be on a Group Text for accountability. Anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll join!  I’m Alison.  I did my first Whole30 in March 2017 after being diagnosed with Hashimotos.  I then moved on to a full-blown AIP diet which I have mostly followed since.  I’ve let some foods that aren’t great for me slip back in in the last 6 months and am eager for a reset.  I don’t need to plan much, because I generally eat this way, I just need to make a concerted effort to not grab nuts, sweets and “gluten-free” baked goods as easy go-tos.

I’m married and homeschool my 3 kids.  No one follows the Whole 30, though I coerced my husband and oldest son to do one a little over a year ago.  My oldest son stays gluten, dairy and soy free at home, and my daughter is also gluten free.  I often eat differently than my family though... I just make up big batches of food for me and then mix and match at each meal.  

My goals will be to follow the program, and up my walking mileage.  I expect to lose a few pounds, not feel gross because of dietary indiscretions, and be ready for a clean slate to reintroduce some foods I need a clear answer on (namely eggs and rice).  My Whole30 will be nightshade, egg (except a little homemade mayo), and nut free.  I eat meat & fish, a little fruit, nightshade free veggies (limiting cruciferous to 2 svg per day), and my primary fats are avocado and olives.  I do best when I have at least 2 svg of starchy carbs per day (usually breakfast and lunch) because of my thyroid.

I’ve told my doctor, a few friends and my family that I will be doing this reset.  I’m looking forward to the accountability and support of this group!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, snacksandsweat said:

I agree! If I get tempted at work, I will try to drink water or tea to distract myself and bring emergency snacks just in case. It will be difficult to avoid outings with family and friends, so I am trying to figure out a strategy on how to stay compliant (i.e. bring my own meals or snacks? try to modify my order? suggest restaurants that have compliant options?) Suggestions welcome!

After my first Whole30 I just completely stopped eating the snacks at work.  I used to be very tempted and would cut up a donut into 4 pieces pretending I'd only eat a quarter of it and finish the whole thing.  Just tell yourself you are not going to eat the snacks at work and the more times you do that, the more automatic it becomes.  (It becomes your new habit).  Don't substitute them with different snacks.  

As far as outings, you should definitely suggest restaurants that have compliant options.  California, Mediterranean and Steakhouse restaurants are the easiest restaurants to order from for me.  Stick to steak, chicken, lamb or fish with no sauce, steamed veggies, baked potatoes and green salads with olive oil & lemon on the side.  Don't make a big deal about your new eating style, be polite when you ask questions and be confident when you order.  Most likely nobody at the table will even notice what you are eating.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, snacksandsweat said:

I agree! If I get tempted at work, I will try to drink water or tea to distract myself and bring emergency snacks just in case. It will be difficult to avoid outings with family and friends, so I am trying to figure out a strategy on how to stay compliant (i.e. bring my own meals or snacks? try to modify my order? suggest restaurants that have compliant options?) Suggestions welcome!

I used to travel a lot for work and would research restaurants in areas I was traveling.  You'll likely find "paleo-friendly" restaurants easier, then modify from there.  There are some threads in the forums about which restaurants have compliant food (some chains do-maybe Chipotle?).  

 

I keep emergency snacks on hand (in my work bag) in part because my hour commute can sometimes turn into a longer one at the end of the day when I tend to be starving.  I usually have a Chomps beef stick in my bag or an Rx bar as a just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYCBlond said:

Hi Jihanna! I'm Gia. I really appreciate so much of what you're saying here (I, too, am my own biggest challenge) and am very impressed with your meal plans for a household of 7! Impressive!

I'd love to be on a Group Text for accountability. Anyone else?

I would do a group text.  I'll provide my # via private message. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! My name is Willa and I plan on starting Whole30 tomorrow, January 1st! This will be my second full whole30 (last one completed in may 2018), with several attempted but failed ones before!

I just graduated university and have recently started working as a nurse, causing disruption in what was once healthy eating habits. With my new schedule of 12 hour day/night shifts, I have been having a really hard time finding my rhythm and keeping my motivation to eat health/exercise. I use to go to the gym 5-6 x per week but have only been going consistently 2-3x per week since starting my new job. Each day I find myself bingeing and using the "I'll start tomorrow, what is one more cookie in the grand scheme of things, etc" excuse. I'm really hoping this whole 30 will kickstart my motivation and allow me to get back a healthier relationship with food and my body. I definitely notice feeling happier and more confident when the foods I put in my body and healthy and nourishing. Im also looking forward to leaving that sugar induced fatigue behind me and improving my overall energy levels! I have gone a little wild on the treats this holiday season....

I am looking forward to keeping in touch with you all over the next month and finding support/recipe motivation when the days start getting tough! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! My name is Stephanie and I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow, 1/1, with my twin sister! She completed a Whole30 a few years back, but this will be my first time and I'm terrified (and excited..more terrified though)! I have a huge obsession with bread and then cutting out social drinks with friends on the weekend will be my main obstacles. I think if I keep meal prepping, keep a positive mindset, and lock myself in my apartment this first go round, I'll be ok! LOL :) I'll be turning to this Whole30 community for a pick me up and guidance, that's for sure! I look forward to being on this journey with all of you like-minded individuals! WE CAN DO THIS!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!  I’m Kasey.  This is my third Whole30.  Fingers crossed my husband commits to this challenge as well.  We both enjoy it.  I’m back in artificial and regular sugar (thanks, Holidays) so we both want to get back to clean eating.   

I’m 37.  School teacher.  Loves to run, crochet, and read.  Love the support of a community committed to the challenge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GraceMelodie said:

After my first Whole30 I just completely stopped eating the snacks at work.  I used to be very tempted and would cut up a donut into 4 pieces pretending I'd only eat a quarter of it and finish the whole thing.  Just tell yourself you are not going to eat the snacks at work and the more times you do that, the more automatic it becomes.  (It becomes your new habit).  Don't substitute them with different snacks.  

As far as outings, you should definitely suggest restaurants that have compliant options.  California, Mediterranean and Steakhouse restaurants are the easiest restaurants to order from for me.  Stick to steak, chicken, lamb or fish with no sauce, steamed veggies, baked potatoes and green salads with olive oil & lemon on the side.  Don't make a big deal about your new eating style, be polite when you ask questions and be confident when you order.  Most likely nobody at the table will even notice what you are eating.  Good luck!

1

@GraceMelodie -- I am relieved to hear I was not the only one who did that with pastries! I would tell myself "just a few bites" but end up bingeing on a whole plate of desserts and then feel horrible after, but then I would do it all over again the next day--such a self-sabotaging cycle!  

5 hours ago, ChristyJ said:

I used to travel a lot for work and would research restaurants in areas I was traveling.  You'll likely find "paleo-friendly" restaurants easier, then modify from there.  There are some threads in the forums about which restaurants have compliant food (some chains do-maybe Chipotle?).  

 

I keep emergency snacks on hand (in my work bag) in part because my hour commute can sometimes turn into a longer one at the end of the day when I tend to be starving.  I usually have a Chomps beef stick in my bag or an Rx bar as a just in case.

 

 @GraceMelodie  and @ChristyJ Thank you, ladies, for these eating out tips!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,  I too decided to start the Whole30 on January 1st; but because I live in New Zealand that means I started today!

 I’ve had a few health issues over the last two years (first a frozen shoulder, really nasty, and the unexplained joint pains).  Most of my life I’ve had issues with eating properly. My bad habits seem to have caught up with me. Time to make a change!

So, I’m a day ahead of the rest of you. It was all going well until my first attempt at mayonnaise. As I  “slowly” drizzled oil into the egg mix my brand new blender enthusiastically sprayed a fine fog of mayonnaise out of the hole in the top. Several adjustments later and I had the situation marginally under control. Unfortunately I still managed to add the oil too quickly and the mayo separated. Attempt 2:  still messy, but under control. Mayonnaise began to thicken nicely. That was when the blender began to disintegrate. The smoke was my first clue that something was wrong. When I took the top off I was greeted with lovely thick mayonnaise mixed with plastic bits. The highlight of day 2 will be returning the blender carcass to the appliance store. 

Hope we you all have a less eventful day 1.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NZ Robin if you have an immersion or stick blender, it makes mayo super easy to make. No letting the egg get to room temperature, no drizzling the oil, just put all ingredients in a tall container just wide enough for the blender to get to the bottom (a pint-size wide mouth mason jar works well) and blend. Here's a more detailed explanation:  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The immersion blender method is exactly what I went with when making my mayo earlier today... I'd tried doing homemade mayo once about a year ago, using a regular blender, and it was definitely a fail - but the stick blender makes it SO EASY. I followed a recipe posted on a different blog site, but the ingredients and method are pretty much the same as what ShannonM816 shared. I used grapeseed today since I'm nearly out of light olive oil, and it turned out good but I'm wanting to grab some avocado oil for my next batch (probably in a few days, at the rate that I go through mayo for salad dressings).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I too will be starting the whole30 on January 1st! I’m 56 years old and my eating habits have taken a toll on my health and weight. I’ve been seeing a physician who practices Holistic medicine and she recommended the Whole30 due to my autoimmune responses. I need all the help and encouragement I can get. My job will make this more challenging, I work long hours on the road and often midnight shifts as a hospice nurse. So drive thru windows have been my enemy. I need suggestions on what to pack for lunches! Appreciate all suggestions and recipes for snacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NanaJan said:

Hi. I too will be starting the whole30 on January 1st! I’m 56 years old and my eating habits have taken a toll on my health and weight. I’ve been seeing a physician who practices Holistic medicine and she recommended the Whole30 due to my autoimmune responses. I need all the help and encouragement I can get. My job will make this more challenging, I work long hours on the road and often midnight shifts as a hospice nurse. So drive thru windows have been my enemy. I need suggestions on what to pack for lunches! Appreciate all suggestions and recipes for snacks.

Definitely get a cooler for your car if you don't already have one, so you can pack anything and not worry about it not being refrigerated. I personally eat a lot of foods cold, but I know some people don't like that, so a lot of this will depend on your personal preferences. Egg casseroles/fritattas are easy to make in big batches and good for breakfast or any time, scotch eggs, hard boiled eggs, grilled or baked chicken, meatballs or burger patties, salmon cakes/patties, tuna or chicken salad, leftovers from a previous meal, salads with lots of different raw or cooked vegetables. If you have a thermos, you can take soup, stew, or chili. Wholly Guacamole makes a couple of compliant flavors of guacamole in little packages that are easy to pack in a lunch, there are brands of olives that come in individual serving size packets. 

For emergency food situations, maybe get some jerky or meat bars (there are some compliant brands listed here, but feel free to use any brands you find that have compliant ingredients:  https://whole30.com/whole30-approved/), some packs of olives, cans or pouches of tuna or salmon -- you may or may not be able to leave them in your car all the time, it depends on what kind of weather you get, but if you have them at home and make sure you keep a couple of options in a purse or bag that you always take with you, you'll know you have something when you need it.  If you're mostly in the same general area, figure out if there are options where you can stop to get food if you forget your lunch or don't pack enough -- this might be restaurants, or it could be grocery stores or convenience stores that carry pre-cooked hard boiled eggs or packaged salads with no cheese or croutons or other non-Whole30 stuff or have salad bars that have good options. 

You can also google something like Whole30 forum food on the go and find past discussions of this -- it comes up a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I’m Alex

I live in Melbourne, Australia so I’m just about to compete Day 1. This is my third Whole 30 attempt. I haven’t made it past Day 21 in my last two attempts

I am 33, and have two fur babies and am getting married in November.

Here’s to an awesome start to 2019!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning, and happy 2019!

For those of us who are just waking up (or yet to do so) to get started on this journey, I wish us good luck and great food. I'm about to grab my first mug of nothing-but-coffee, and I've given myself permission to drink more than 2 today just in case I feel I need extra caffeine due to cutting out all soda (so less caffeine and sugar than usual). In about an hour, I'll make a batch of  this breakfast bake using ground turkey (actually mixing up 2x the turkey sausage and using half of it to make patties to keep aside, then storing the patties and leftover casserole portions in the freezer to make sure I have no breakfast excuses over the next several days).

For those who are finishing out your first day, congratulations and I hope all went well for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jihanna said:

Good morning, and happy 2019!

For those of us who are just waking up (or yet to do so) to get started on this journey, I wish us good luck and great food. I'm about to grab my first mug of nothing-but-coffee, and I've given myself permission to drink more than 2 today just in case I feel I need extra caffeine due to cutting out all soda (so less caffeine and sugar than usual). In about an hour, I'll make a batch of  this breakfast bake using ground turkey (actually mixing up 2x the turkey sausage and using half of it to make patties to keep aside, then storing the patties and leftover casserole portions in the freezer to make sure I have no breakfast excuses over the next several days).

For those who are finishing out your first day, congratulations and I hope all went well for you.

Day 1! And Happy 2019!  That breakfast bake looks great (minus the mushrooms, lol).

We've got this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My name is Janine Kondra I’m new to this forum. I am starting whole 30 today. I wish everyone luck these next 30 days.  I need to be accountable for my actions. I start out fine then I’ll eat one wrong food and will have to start over. This time I’m going to work hard at that   

Edited by Janine kondra
Wanted to add more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am starting my first round of Whole30 today! I’m Melanie, I’m 33 from Sacramento, Ca. My weight is at its highest and confidence is at its lowest. I’ve done harder things in life and want to prove to myself that I can make this change. I believe the way to self esteem is esteemable acts and this is exactly that. I have awful food habits. I sit at my desk at work and snack on crap all day. I am excited to challenge myself with new things to eat and actually think it will be fun because I love to cook. I ate paleo a few years ago and had a good time with the recipes I discovered and how great so many of the things tasted. I’m worried that my busy work schedule coupled with caring for a toddler and a husband will be my biggest challenges, since I’m going this alone. I believe in myself though. I got sober 5 years ago and THAT was hard. (Which makes the giving up alcohol part of the W30 easy!) The opening line of the manifesto totally spoke to me. It reminded me of what I am capable of when I make the decision to change!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, my name is Leah, and I'm starting today also. I'm 41 with two daughters age 12 and 10. My husband and kids will be eating what I prepare but there will also be other food in the house for them that I will avoid. I successfully completed the Whole 30 once before, two years ago. It was a good experience but it was also a big challenge for me and I found by the end I was really looking forward to it ending and struggling a bit to get through those final days. Despite how good I felt doing it, I didn't really form new habits as a result of it- it was more something I got through and then went back to normal. I'm a teacher, and quite passionate about my job, which leads to me going hard all day, often forgetting to eat at all, and drinking coffee all day.  I then fall into bad habits of buying convenience foods or processed foods the kids request. I often find myself eating potato chips on the commute home because I'm so hungry after the work day, then popping frozen pizza in the oven when I get home, and eating unhealthy snacks all evening to make up for a day of no food. It sounds ridiculous, but it's what I keep doing. :( So, I'm doing this to try to get myself back to home-cooking whole foods and being a good role model for my family. I plan to do this for 90 days instead of just 30, this time, in hopes of more effectively establishing life-long healthy habits and routines. I'm also seeking better work-life balance and prioritizing self-care a little more. My biggest challenge will honestly probably be trying to eat breakfast and lunch.

NZ Robin- your blender adventures gave me a belly laugh.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and doing this together! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also starting today. I had a mostly successful whole30 last year. Lost weight, gained energy. Summer travel derailed my new and improved eating habits. 

I turned 50 last year and have a past cancer diagnosis (breast 2015) and a history of depression. I'm super motivated to get through this and stay on top of things after the 30 days. One of my challenges will be wine :( I like to have a glass or so when I cook & this involves more cooking time. I know it's just an association habit I need to break. 

Good luck everyone!!! We got this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now