Who's starting 1/1?

ChristyJ

Day 2...breakfast was a bowl of cherry tomatoes and two sausages (homemade, no sugar or fillers) and W30-compliant ranch dressing... lunch was salad with chicken, tomatoes, and W30 caesar dressing - topped with spiced pepitas...dinner was salmon and homefries (haven't had potatoes in soooo long).  Tasty and filling.

However, I have a couple questions...my body is complaining -  tired, achy, bloated, cramping, :blink: - am I seeing the beginning of carb flu?  I admit to maxing out on holiday sweets for a goodly part of December...how long does it normally take to adjust to these changes? I also noticed I was very cranky this afternoon...mild headache as well...

I spent all day yesterday prepping, today was spent canning 8 quarts of the bone broth. Came home from work to make dinner and mini frittatas for the husband's breakfasts. I am a school bus driver, and have a 4 hour time frame between my runs to get things done at home. The busy-ness might have added to my crankiness.  That, and the lack of sugar :P

28 days to go!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 has been difficult for me, too. I've had a massive headache for most of the day, and nausea kicked in after Meal 2. I finally broke down half an hour ago to take some Tylenol, but I'm going to take nausea meds now because it doesn't feel like I'll keep them down otherwise. I'm calling the chiropractor tomorrow to see when they can work me in to get my neck/back aligned, and hope that's part of the problem so the alignment will help with the headache. I've slept a lot today, partly due to tiredness and partly to hide from the pain. I can't think straight, so going to leave this at that.

I hope we have a better day tomorrow :)

On 12/29/2018 at 6:14 PM, ChristyJ said:

I'm so excited to start 2019 with the Whole 30!  I went grocery shopping today, and so far I've made a big batch of Thai ginger carrot soup (I'll freeze a bunch of it).  More food prep will be underway over the next two days.

I love having accountability partners.  Please introduce yourself, and let's check in on each other throughout this journey!

I'm Christy.  I turn 50 this year :blink:, so it's especially important to me to get back to eating healthy and working out on a regular basis!  I have two daughters (22 & 19), am married, work full time and have a fun-loving pup at home.

Hello Christy,

My name is Beth. This is my second Whole30. I am married, work full time ans I have 2 children; a daughter who is 20 and a son who is 17.  We also have 2 cats and 3 dogs.

I made Melissa’s chicken, sweet potato, and apple hash. I will be cooking a whole chicken tomorrow.

I would love to be one of your accountability partners.

CDEB2D24-2B15-4366-8014-75D0EF736697.jpeg

On 1/1/2019 at 7:27 PM, GraceMelodie said:

I prep/shop every few days and make sure I always have the following on hand:

1. Hard boiled eggs

2. Cooked chicken breast

3. Compliant smoked salmon

4. Avocados

5. Bagged pre-washed greens

6. Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews)

7. Compliant olives

8. Homemade compliant salad dressing (Extra virgen olive oil, apple cider vinegar, compliant dijon mustard, salt & pepper) 

9. Roasted sweet potatoes, white potatoes or butternut squash

10. Raw veggies & fruit (carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers, apples, blueberries, etc.)

11. Coffee and compliant Nutpod coconut creamer 

12. Homemade mayo or compliant pesto

This is my 3rd Whole30 and I have my prep & menus down to a science.  I keep most of my meals pretty simple.  Breakfast is usually eggs, 1/2 avocado, blueberries and greens.  Lunch is a salad with chicken (or left over protein), 1/2 avocado, nuts, & dressing.  Dinner is seared chicken, salmon or steak with roasted sweet potatoes, raw veggies and a simple green salad.  Once or twice a week I'll make something super delicious like slow roasted lamb shanks.  Yum!

Cheers to everyone for finishing Day One!

Thank you thank you!!!!  This evening I prepped turkey meatballs (no breading, obviously, basically just ground turkey and garlic), a salad with grilled chicken for my lunch at work tomorrow, and another piece of grilled chicken in case I want salad at dinner tomorrow. My instapot arrives tomorrow and thanks to you i have a better grocery list for tomorrow. I also was wondering how often i should expect to shop and guessed it would be as often as you say. I like your breakfast and will get some avocados tomorrow :) 

I have to say, the one thing i'm already ready for is the coffee situation. I started getting comfy with black coffee and nothing in it about a year ago and don't have issues, otherwise i'd get nutpod compliant coconut creamer. I do, however, consume lots of almond milk, so I'll be looking into the compliant brands tomorrow. Thanks again! 

• Moderators

Those of you dealing with headaches, tiredness, and other symptoms, to some degree this is normal. Drink lots of water (we recommend aiming for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 ounces), salt your food, and follow the meal template to be sure you're eating enough -- many people are surprised at how large meals are, especially if they're used to eating every couple of hours.

Bloating and other digestive issues can be common, especially if this is a lot more vegetables than you normally eat. Some vegetables seem to cause more issues than others -- cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cabbage, or cauliflower, for instance -- and raw vegetables seem to cause more issues than cooked, so if you're having issues, try cooking all your vegetables and ease up on the cruciferous veggies for a few days and see if that helps.

Day 3 has dawned and I'm feeling slightly better than yesterday but that remains to be seen. Had a killer headache at the end of the day 2 workday and took an Aleve when I got home, which I literally never do but it was that bad. Managed to go to bed at a decent time which I think helped a lot. I wish I could stay home and sleep but work calls! I know I'm feeling the effects of overindulging in alcohol and sweets this holiday season so I'm not too worried about it, just going to keep on truckin' and be thankful this is only a 3-day work week. :) Hope everyone else is hanging in there too, and happy day 3!

I feel human, again. Yesterday was rough (way more than I expected, for some reason), but today's a new day and I'm so very happy that I gave in and took some Tylenol and Zofran before bed because I seriously doubt I'd have slept (or kept down what little I ate before sleep) otherwise. I made a little extra coffee this morning, too, just in case I feel it's needed.

I'm hoping today will provide me with more awake time than yesterday did, but I'm also going to follow my body's cues and not try forcing that. The rest really did do me good, I think, and didn't at all prevent me from sleeping overnight, so it seems obvious that my body needed every moment of time it took. I'm okay with that, I think, it just needs to not happen every day!

Because I slept all day yesterday, I didn't finish my meal plan for this week (Thu-Wed), which means I can't go shopping as early today as I'd have planned to otherwise. The good news is that I do have enough food in the house that I can make something "new" tonight, so it won't matter if I can't hit the grocery store until tomorrow.

I know I had asked about a group chat earlier in this topic, and never actually heard anything about one getting set up (beyond some who said they're interested)... so, I've set one up!

To join the group, PM me directly:
- ask for the GROUP LINK if you want to join online
- ask me to ADD YOU (and provide your phone #) if you want to be added by me
*** If you want to use the app, I suggest using the group link to set things up. If you know you'll only want to use your phone's text service, have me get your # added to the group and I'll send you back the # you'll need to text in order to communicate with us. You CAN join online and communicate via text instead of using the app on your phone, also.

I'll be using GroupMe (https://groupme.com) to manage the group chat. How people in the group take part is up to them -- there's a web portal, app (iOS, Android, and Windows phone), or SMS for sending/receiving messages. I think this will be the easiest option that doesn't require anyone to have a specific app installed, while also giving good management features. For those living outside the US, you may be able to use GroupME via SMS, but would be subject to international rates (if applicable) to a US-based number (all SMS concerns are nil if you opt for the web/app, of course).

Please understand this is NOT intended to replace this forum. Being able to get advice/input from the moderators here is invaluable, and I think it's important that we remember to come here when we need more than moral support and/or prayers from others who are making the same journey. What the text group IS: a place where we can post updates throughout the day, ask if others are experiencing a specific symptom/issue, share pictures of our meals (and comment on the yum factor), etc. I am asking that we keep things compliant, though, so we're truly supporting one another's efforts to do this well.

Day 3!!! Each day thus far I've had a consistant headache, not a throbbing one... it's just "there". Today and tomorrow I have my personal training sessions, then meal prep on Saturday.   Other than the headache I'm doing well.   For me to get through each morning/evening I have incorporated the treadmill before breakfast for 45 minutes,  I don't bring snack food to work, I'm sticking to just 3 meals a day.  I journal my food after each meal,  and as a Christmas gift my daughter gave my husband and I each a journal book to fill out about each of our lives thus far as a memoir.   I'm enjoying filling out a couple of pages each day and thinking about how my daughter will be sitting reading about her mother and her life later on in her journey through life.   This also keeps my mind from wondering to food.  Have a wonderful,  healthy,  safe whole30 day!!

Hi all! Love this thread and would like to join in as an accountability partner as well! I'm 30, not married (in a relationship), and have started this 1-1-19. This is my first go at whole30 and I chose this program as I have dealt with weight and food issues/food issue related health problems for a while now. I am trying to set in some good habits going into the future, and lower my BMI to a normal range. I am prone to depression and have been through MDD a few years ago during grad school. Going into the future, I know setting up these habits now is what it will take to "set me up for success" in the future. Cheers all, we got this!! 

I headed into my personal training today thinking... being on day 3 that I'd really struggle...but to my surprise I was able to complete my full session with some increases in weight! I completed the following..

20 burpees

2 sets of 10 =  37.5 lb rows

2 sets of 10 = 37.50 lb weighed squats

2 sets of 10 = 80 lb kettlebell deadlifts

1 minute plank/45 second plank

2 sets of 5 shoulder/ neck band work

2 sets of battle rope waves

2 sets of battle rope slams

I have the same session tomorrow!

DONE!!!

By the way I'm 57 years young!! 

Hello fellow W30s! Well, I ended up going to bed early last night - just sooooo tired!-_-  I think  I will take some melatonin tonight - I woke every hour throughout the night! Ugh. Glad I have chicken already cooked, so just going to roast veggies for dinner. For anyone on the east coast, a store called : "Ocean State Job Lot" has great prices on compliant oils - Avocado oil, light and EV olive oils, coconut oils...just stopped by there this morning and was thrilled at the prices.  Making mayo, salad dressings and sauces uses up a lot of oil - stocked up for the month. 

We had homefries with our salmon last night - hubby's #s were up, so will plan on making them for breakfast on the weekends, not at night. He loved the mini frittatas (from NomNomPaleo) that we made last night, so he is set with breakfasts for a while. 

Despite the interrupted slumber, I am feeling awake. Still a bit crampy and achy, but not bad overall.  Looking forward to making a big pot of Sunday sauce this weekend...hmmm, is it still Sunday Sauce if I make it on Saturday? :P

27 days to go!

How's everyone doing? Halfway through Day 3! I made these great buffalo ground turkey patties for work lunches this week (mine were easier to flatten than mold into meatballs), paired with sliced green peppers, celery, baby carrots, and a half of an avocado. They traveled very well and were super easy to pull together last night. Yum!

Recipe at link (IGNORE the addition of blue cheese at the end, which is obviously non-compliant, and subbing out ground turkey for ground chicken was delicious). https://physicalkitchness.com/whole30-baked-buffalo-chicken-meatballs/

Day 3 done!  I hope you're all doing well.  I currently have mini bison meatloaves cooking in the oven and can't wait to eat!  I make a lot of mini meatloaves, patties and meatballs using ground chicken, turkey or bison and add various ingredients to them.  The bison ones in the oven have roasted red peppers, kalamata olives and are seasoned with Trader Joes green goddess dressing.  I often add Franks, shredded carrots & celery to make buffalo-style ones.

I'll be pairing some roasted cauliflower with dinner.  Hopefully it's done soon-I'm hungry!

I had today off and ended up sleeping in until 10:30!!!!  I can't remember the last time I slept in that late!  lol

Day 4 for me! Currently eating my lunch, which is compliant green curry chicken, sweet potato and spinach.

Headaches have seemed to pass which is great!Last night I was pretty tired so didn't head into CrossFit, but slept well which is excellent. Don't quite want to "Kill all the things" but definitely more irritable than I normally am.

Planning on making a bunless burger with home fries for dinner tonight!

Hope everyone is doing well

I am Elizabeth, just finishing up day 3 of my first Whole30. I am 36, single, live with a roommate (who is not doing the Whole30), and work in events so my hours are definitely not normal. I am doing this Whole30 to find out if any of the foods I have been eating regularly are causing me distress, and to reset my relationship with food  - I am an emotional eater.

Up to this moment, I have not had any headaches or most other expected symptoms, though I am feeling some fatigue. I am hungry ALL. THE. TIME. though have been getting from lunch to dinner with the help of a handful of almonds and a hard-boiled egg each day.

Because I am cooking for one, I select a recipe from The Whole30 which are for two servings, often "with leftovers". That is my dinner for the night, and then I use the leftovers to craft breakfast and lunches. 

I am also using the Whole30 Day by Day journal/guide. I think that is helping to keep me accountable, as well. 

Looking forward to keeping up with y'all and getting through these next 27 days together!

Tonight's definitely better than last night... no meds so far, and I don't think I'll need them in order to sleep, so that's a vast improvement. My shopping took longer than I wanted (2 stores) and cost more than I wanted (but some of it will carry over to next week, so hopefully I'll see a less than expected bill for next week's groceries!), but it's finally done and I can relax... at least until I wake up tomorrow and have to go organize it all in the fridge, since it's currently just kind of crammed in where I could fit it :D

• Moderators
3 hours ago, HawkeyeE said:

I am hungry ALL. THE. TIME.

Make sure your meals match the meal template (download it here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/) -- so at each meal, have 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein (if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4), then pick one or two of the fats listed on the template in addition to any oil you cook in, and then fill the rest of the plate up with veggies, 2-3 cups. Most people do well with one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (like potato, sweet potato, or other root vegetables like beets, turnips, parsnips, or carrots, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash, or plantains), but right now since you're hungry all the time, it's okay to have more, they can be more filling than other vegetables, and you can always cut back down on them later if you don't feel you need that many.

Day 4 already, guys! So I know it's super early, but I'm already having crazy dreams. Coincidence?? Or just a result of sleeping more deeply for the past few nights? Probably a bit of both. I've also noticed that in only four days, my resting heart rate has dropped from 83 to 75! That's a big deal for me since I have some slight heart issues and I'm making a huge effort to improve my heart health right now. Anyone else noticing anything yet, other than being sleepy and/or cranky? :D

Food-wise I brought leftovers for lunch today. Kale and brussels sprouts salad tossed in lemon mustard dressing I made, with carrots and shredded chicken thighs mixed in. Tonight I think dinner will be some kind of salmon bowl with avocado. Yum! Happy day 4 to all!

Day 4 and good morning :)

Last night, I was actually up later than I've managed in the past few days. It wasn't purposeful, it just sort of happened, and when I saw the time and realized it was after midnight, I quickly stopped what I was doing and went to bed. For the past few days, I've been tired enough by 9pm that I haven't had ANY chance of staying up like this, so it was pretty strange. I also slept rather late as result, so I'm thankful that's still an option right now (though I really do need to be setting my usual alarms again to prepare for kids going back to school).

My head hurts, again (or maybe "still", since I don't think I ever actually got rid of the headache from yesterday... or the day before...), but I did manage to sleep all night without taking anything for it. This morning is another story - I grabbed a couple of Tylenol to help me face a dreary day, been raining all night long and still drizzling out there now.

For now, I need to go deal with all the groceries I bought and didn't organize last night, starting with steaming a dozen eggs in the pressure cooker so I'll have "boiled" eggs on hand. If anyone has a pressure cooker and hasn't yet experienced the awesomeness of steamed eggs, you really should try it:

- put eggs on a trivet without stacking (mine does 12, a very close fit but no stacking and no rubbing up against the pot
- add a cup or so of water (I read once to fill to just beneath eggs, which is what I do, about 1.5 cups for mine and it works well)
- use the manual setting to cook for 4 minutes (some say 5, I like the texture of 4 - not runny, and not rubbery)
- natural pressure release 5 minutes, then quick release anything left
- drain (or remove) and add (to) cool water to cool the eggs
- peel as needed - shell comes off so much more easily (seriously, I haven't mangled a white yet since doing them this way!)

I usually just keep mine in the fridge with the shells on until I'm going to eat them, but it's easy enough to peel them and save in a baggie when going on a trip (or if taking for a lunch, etc.)

A glorious and sunshiney good morning to one and all! :D

Well...that was a bit over the top...:rolleyes:

I took melatonin last night, and managed a straight 5 hours before waking...was able to fall back asleep for the few hours before my alarm went off. The achy/bloated feelings are subsiding - not completely gone, but better. I noticed a mental sharpness this morning that tells me I was probably 'fog-bound' these last several days (or self-involved in my pity party, lol!). The puffiness in my face has gone down a wee bit...it took great restraint NOT to step on the scale. B)

Will be making mayo and chicken liver pate tomorrow (or maybe tonight). The pate will look wonderful shmeared across a slab of jicama or 3...and taste even better. Found a recipe that uses bacon and duck fat - might be able to entice hubby to try it (bacon is the bomb, in his world).

Oh! Speaking of bacon, got my shipment of sugar free bacon from US Wellness Meats.  Expensive, but the quality is outstanding!

This morning's breakfast was chicken salad rolled up in slices of turkey, alongside a hard-boiled egg - not traditional, but fast, easy and yummy. 

Oh, for those who are using NomNomPaleo cookbooks - I used her recipe for cooking chicken breasts, and found a delicious bonus. When the breasts have finished cooking and cooled enough to handle, peel off the skin. Cut the skin into 2" chunks, lay crunchy side down on a foil-lined pan, and cook in a toaster oven at 350-400*F until browned and crispy. Salt and enjoy! My better half wants me to make chicken breasts every week, just for the "chips"...lol

Okay, I hope you all have a great day - and good luck on our first weekend on Whole30...we can DO this!

Day 4 and feeling great! I completed my 2nd personal training session of the week and made it through!  Back to 3 sessions per week next week! 

20 burpees

2 sets of 10 =  37.5 lb rows

2 sets of 10 = 37.50 lb weighed squats

2 sets of 10 = 80 lb kettlebell deadlifts

1 minute plank/45 second plank

2 sets of 5 shoulder/ neck band work

2 sets of battle rope waves

2 sets of battle rope slams

2 sets of 10 of 25 lb floor  press

Planning on making apple cider slow cooker pork butt, bison spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash., rotisserie chicken,  then using the bones for bone broth in the slow cooker to sip in the morning and or evening (since I don't drink coffee!) 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!!

Archived