Who's starting 1/1?

ChristyJ

I cooked FISH! and ate it, too!
It's probably the first time I've eaten any fish in the last 20 years, at the very least. The good news is that it didn't smell fishy at all, from the moment I opened the little seal-packs to the moment I put it in my mouth. Because of that lack of fishy smell and a mild flavor, I was able to actually enjoy eating it. I used very thin flounder fillets that I'd found in LIDL's frozen section, and the recipe was extremely simple - just put fish on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, rub oil on the fish, use microplane to zest grapefruit directly onto the fish (I was probably a little overzealous with the zest, and also rubbed it in slightly), then salt it and bake at 350F for 12-16 minutes (until flaky). We had it with a side salad, which I loaded up with citrus fruits, and some zucchini.

Here's to trying new things :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2019 at 4:32 AM, kellyfoss said:

Day 4 already, guys! So I know it's super early, but I'm already having crazy dreams. Coincidence?? Or just a result of sleeping more deeply for the past few nights? Probably a bit of both. I've also noticed that in only four days, my resting heart rate has dropped from 83 to 75! That's a big deal for me since I have some slight heart issues and I'm making a huge effort to improve my heart health right now. Anyone else noticing anything yet, other than being sleepy and/or cranky? :D

I had a food dream two nights ago that I was at a fancy restaurant and taking forever to order.  I didn't actually order or eat anything in my dream but I kept rereading the ingredient list for bone broth on the menu. :) 

In real life, I went to two restaurants yesterday but didn't eat any restaurant food in either.  I went to the first restaurant for lunch with my two kids and a friend and her kid and just ordered coffee.  We were in Big Bear so I had a big insulated bag of food from the trip with me.  I ate hard boiled eggs, almonds and raw veggies.  My friend was slightly embarrassed that I was eating my own food in the restaurant but I didn't care.  Then, last night after I ate a good, filling, compliant dinner at home, I went to meet friends at a restaurant at 8:30 pm.  They ordered & had cocktails, pizza, olives, bread, salad, dessert and coffee.  I told them I already ate, was doing a Whole30 this month and just drank water.  We were at the restaurant until 11:30 pm and the only thing I was truly tempted by were the salad and olives.  All in all a successful day 4! 

Hi @NZ Robin I hope your Whole30 is going well so far? :) 

I am a Certified Whole30 Coach in NZ and I have a few NZ resources on my website like recipes and also a FB group called KiwisWhoWhole30. 

Hope your first week is going well! I am running a Whole30 group in NZ  that starts 1st Feb! Looking forward to my 5th Whole30 :)

Warm Regards,

Hadley

The Remedy Project

theremedyproject.co.nz

Hi!  I'm Lynne, 52, pediatric oncology nurse, 3 kids 16,18, 20.  This is my 2nd whole30 (I did 45 days), last one was in 2013 and I don't think I ever felt better in my life - really.  Unfortunately, I went on vacation immediately after and never reaped the benefit of understanding how reintroducing the various foods back into my diet affects me.  I jumped all in with travel fast food, vacation wine, little sleep etc...  My hands and feet were so swollen after the first day and no, we didn't fly!  Anyway, 5 days done now and my headache is gone - woohoo!  Looking forward to the amazing sleep and energy I had last time.   

I have to say I was TRULY craving a glass of wine tonight, but instead I planned my meals for next week to pull my focus back to what is important to ME!  

This week - Almond Butter Sesame Zucchini Noodles; Buffalo Chicken Egg Muffins; Simple Salmon w/Butternut Squash Home Fries; Pulled Tandoori Chicken; Spiced Coconut Chicken with Cumin Cauliflower Rice

Are you all familiar with CopyMeThat.com ?  It is a great site and app to pull all your favorite (Whole30) recipes together.  It recognizes recipes on a site and imports it, with the link for copyright purposes, then you can add tags, edit it for your tastes....  It is a life changer!

I'm here to support and get support!  We got this!

Lynne

Good morning and Happy Day 6!

Just wanted to touch base and say that I'm kind of shocked at how easy W30 has been for me. I'm such a sugar fiend, I thought surely I would be jonesing for all the sweet treats and having cravings and headaches but actually, I'm feeling really good and NOT missing my sdessert that I want (after lunch...and dinner...). It's been a nice reminder that I can do things that initially I might have thought felt impossible, but by just allowing it to happen and taking it meal by meal, I know that I've got this. It's really been an eye-opener.

I had my first food dream. There was a massive box of multiple different kinds of slices of cake in my Grandma's house and I was just staring at them. Not eating or anything, juts starting very intensely at beautiful pieces of decadent looking cakes. Clearly, my sugar dragon is hanging out in my subconscious, too.

One other quick thing: it was a friend's birthday yesterday and a group of us went out to lunch. I didn't eat anything - just had a hot peppermint tea and water. And I was really fine with it. Not tempted at all, not hungry or anything. Not talking too much about it, either. I was SO surprised how uncomfortable it made the OTHER people I was with. "What do you mean you're not eating? The food is so amazing here!" "Aw, man, the Whole30 sounds so restrictive and kind of crazy" "Sorry we have to eat all these carbs in front of you!" Seriously! I was so surprised. I guess people think that it's somehow a reflection on them but I just kept things very chill and said, "No, it's all good. Please enjoy your meal. I'm just doing this as a reset for my own system. It's just for 30 days and I really feel fine. Please enjoy yourself" MHU said that those kinds of reactions might happen in FOOD FREEDOM, but I never thought MY friends would actually act that way. SO WEIRD!

Has this happened to anyone else yet? Would love to share strategies of how to talk to people to so they don't get offended and/or try to offer info (but not overshare) about the program without airs of superiority.

Have a great day today, all! Take good care, G.

Good morning! I popped in yesterday to see how ya'll were doing, but didn't post. It was a good day, a busy one : spent the rainy day prepping. We are using NomNomPaleo's books, as well as W30 recipes online. I made the Magic Mushroom powder, a bacon and chicken liver pate, a double batch of mayo (1/3 regular, 2/3 roasted garlic), a double batch of kale "chips" using the above-mentioned MMPowder, Big-O BaconBurgers for dinner (O.M.G.!), and started a crock pot of the Sunday Sauce. It felt like we ate all day...tasting this, munching that...but hubby's numbers were phenomenal! And I am feeling pretty darn good - cramps and bloating are gone, clear headed, no headaches... We both are really getting into creating incredibly delicious food - and eating it! I feel as if I eat a lot more salt than I used to, but no bloating or other signs of water retention. After yesterday's work, today we are out of here, going for a ride -  and packing a good lunch. Enjoy your Sunday!

20190105_164731.jpg

4 hours ago, NYCBlond said:

One other quick thing: it was a friend's birthday yesterday and a group of us went out to lunch. I didn't eat anything - just had a hot peppermint tea and water. And I was really fine with it. Not tempted at all, not hungry or anything. Not talking too much about it, either. I was SO surprised how uncomfortable it made the OTHER people I was with. "What do you mean you're not eating? The food is so amazing here!" "Aw, man, the Whole30 sounds so restrictive and kind of crazy" "Sorry we have to eat all these carbs in front of you!" Seriously! I was so surprised. I guess people think that it's somehow a reflection on them but I just kept things very chill and said, "No, it's all good. Please enjoy your meal. I'm just doing this as a reset for my own system. It's just for 30 days and I really feel fine. Please enjoy yourself" MHU said that those kinds of reactions might happen in FOOD FREEDOM, but I never thought MY friends would actually act that way. SO WEIRD!

Has this happened to anyone else yet? Would love to share strategies of how to talk to people to so they don't get offended and/or try to offer info (but not overshare) about the program without airs of superiority.

Yes, the same thing happened to me but to a lesser extent two nights ago when I went out to dinner with three of my longtime friends.  One of my friends thoughtfully ordered olives so I could have some but I wasn't hungry since I had already eaten dinner at home.  Then she said I was going to lose too much weight and be too skinny if I kept following Whole30.  I assured her my main goal was not to lose weight but rather to have more energy.  I also assured her that I was eating well and I could eat potatoes and squash everyday.  That calmed her down.  Another one of my friends was recently doing Keto so she was the most supportive but she still kept offering me a bite of everything she ordered.  My other friend commented in disbelief at the end of the meal that I had not eaten anything in the 3 hours we were there and apologized to me at the end of the meal.  I assured her I was fine and I loved the ambience of the restaurant and spending time with them.  I have known this group of friends for thirty years (we met in junior high school) so I know part of it is that my eating choices makes them feel self-conscious about their eating choices.  Human beings are super social creatures and we are highly influenced by the people around us.  We have more fun when everyone at the table is indulging or in our case we are more motivated when we have a group that is completing Whole30 with us.  I think your reactions to your friends were spot on.  We can only reassure our friends and family we feel fine and offer information about Whole30 only if they really want to hear it.

Hello ladies! I started Jan 1 as well..This is my 5 or 6 time through, but the 1st I've done in over a year. Last year was a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I had a baby, (viktoriya my LO is 10 mos) lost a a beloved dog of 9 years unexpectedly, lost my mother, moved (and my mother and father in law have moved in with us in the mother-in-law suite in the basement) and have had some health concerns with my father-in-law and my father. My husband recently had a promotion at work which is great, except it has meant a lot of long hours and weekend work...which is not great. 

I am doing another round of Whole30 to re-establish a good relationship with food. This past year I have pretty much been eating what is in front of me, partially bc I didn't make the time to cook healthy meals, and partially because when I was given a chance to eat, shower or sleep, I most always chose sleep (thus continuing the cycle of not eating well). In Sept I started developing Atopic dermatitis on my face, which I had experienced one other time but was able to take antibiotics to clear up. This time I haven't had that choice due to the fact that I am still breast feeding the LO. Needless to say, I have been on 3 separate creams and the areas are just NOW starting to clear up after 5 full days of being on Whole30. I had my suspicions that the dermatitis could be food related, but this will either confirm or dispel my theory. I started out eating sugary treats once in a while..and then it turned into "Oh, well, I'll just have this treat today and eat better tomorrow." Tomorrow started turning into next week, next week to next month...

As someone who has been an anorexic twice, it is extremely important that when I get this lax in my relationship with food, it is only a matter of time before I start going down the dark path leading back to a very very bad place. 

So I am back! Welcome to all of you newbies - there will definitely be difficult days but the physical and mental rewards are amazing! 

Hi. I am Sherry. This is my first Whole 30. Started Dec 31. Turning 50 on Jan 25. Need to lose 50-60 lbs and hoping to lose 25-30 of it by Mid-June when I go to Scotland to graduate with my MBA with Distinction. Need encouragement and looking forward to following this group. I just finished a few of the Whole 30 books and I see reference to daily emails  I am signed up but not receiving them daily. So far one or two mostly advertising third party info. Advice?  Thanks. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ssparker said:

Hi. I am Sherry. This is my first Whole 30. Started Dec 31. Turning 50 on Jan 25. Need to lose 50-60 lbs and hoping to lose 25-30 of it by Mid-June when I go to Scotland to graduate with my MBA with Distinction. Need encouragement and looking forward to following this group. I just finished a few of the Whole 30 books and I see reference to daily emails  I am signed up but not receiving them daily. So far one or two mostly advertising third party info. Advice?  Thanks. 

The daily emails are no longer available. There's now the Whole30 Day By Day book for daily encouragement and journaling.

This year I came up with a word for the year:  Focused.  And I am (hurray!!)!

I did some more prepping today and pulled a couple of items out of the freezer I prepped last week.  A few favorites:  sautéed compliant apple chicken sausage with onions, apples and kale (sometimes I serve it over coconut cauliflower rice), chicken with peppers & onions over cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash and ground chicken with veggies sauce. 

On 1/5/2019 at 9:23 PM, Lynnefair said:

Are you all familiar with CopyMeThat.com ?  It is a great site and app to pull all your favorite (Whole30) recipes together.  It recognizes recipes on a site and imports it, with the link for copyright purposes, then you can add tags, edit it for your tastes....  It is a life changer!

I JUST found this two days ago, and I'm already in love! I happened across it while searching a recipe for my meal plan, and wound up with one of their free accounts... and I've spent my free time these past 2 days trying to get my recipe collection transferred over (I had been printing as PDF, so this "transfer" process is that of going to the recipes online and then using the little Chrome-extension to copy them over to my recipe box). Now that I finally have them all in there, I'm in process of tweaking the titles, tags, etc. I'm seriously thinking of getting the lifetime premium membership in a few months, if I still find it as useful. (I love that it gives you meal planning functionality, too)

Happy end of Day 6, everyone! (and day 7 for Sherry!)
I haven't had to take anything for headache or nausea for the past 2 days, yay! I'm getting more into the flow of how much time I need for cooking if I haven't done the prep ahead of time, also... which honestly is about half of the meals I cook, but that's what I'm used to doing regardless so this is just a matter of different types of food. I'm trying to get into the habit of prepping more ahead of time, where able, though, so I can prevent any during-cooking meltdowns because something doesn't go quite right. One thing I've found helping me while cooking is, oddly, washing dishes as I go... something about it relaxes me and makes me feel like things are going smoothly if I've got the time to clean up along the way.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:14 PM, ChristyJ said:

I'm so excited to start 2019 with the Whole 30!  I went grocery shopping today, and so far I've made a big batch of Thai ginger carrot soup (I'll freeze a bunch of it).  More food prep will be underway over the next two days.

I love having accountability partners.  Please introduce yourself, and let's check in on each other throughout this journey!

I'm Christy.  I turn 50 this year :blink:, so it's especially important to me to get back to eating healthy and working out on a regular basis!  I have two daughters (22 & 19), am married, work full time and have a fun-loving pup at home.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well! I’m on day 7. Today is my first day back at work in two weeks. It will also be my first day having to deal with people questioning my food choices. I am intolerant  to wheat and dairy, so it makes it a bit easier explain why I am doing a whole 30 when people ask. Besides some “want to kill all the things” moments. I feel pretty good. Still craving wine, drinking lots of tea instead. My biggest issue is having patience with the process. I want to see a difference in my waistline today. I need to focus on staying pain free instead. 

Day 7, woop woop! One whole week of Whole30 is just about in the bag. This past weekend was great. My fiancé's mother was super sweet and invited us over for a Whole30 dinner she made last night! I was dying, it was so wonderful - she went out of her way to make sure everything was 100% compliant, down to the ghee and the seasoning on the grilled salmon. There were roasted carrots with dill, a mango salsa, vinegar coleslaw... I was in heaven. So so good, and I think we all felt great about eating a healthy AND delicious meal together.

Also found a Whole Foods near us (we just moved to the area last year) and left with compliant turkey bacon and Primal Kitchen mayo. :D So I was one happy camper. Plus the Tessamae's ketchup I ordered arrived and I spent a blissful lunch eating actual ketchup on my leftover turkey burger. Side effects-wise, I haven't really had any weird Whole30 related dreams but my other half did! He literally dreamed I was stuffing my face with cupcakes and blaming him for not stopping me. Bahaha. Clearly I may be imparting some mild anxieties to him about this without realizing it. He has been eating everything I make and really he's only on his own for lunches, so it's entirely possible that he's getting some of the benefits of this way of eating even though he's not doing it 100%. Weird dreams and all. Personally, I hope he benefits from this just as much as me because we both have physical and mental health goals we want to achieve this year.

Sounds like we're all going strong, let's make week 2 awesome! 

Kelly Voss you are marrying the right mother in law!  What a treat to have someone else cook a compliant meal for you. The woman is a saint. 

Starting day 8 here in New Zealand. So far so good. Mornings are headachey. I suspect that is due to a bit of dehydration over night. I’m not sleeping particularly well, but that has been normal for me over the last 20 years (I’ll turn 60 in March). The cause is also normal, hot flushes. Their duration is, however not normal. Usually they pass after about half an hour. These are quite persistent. I’m also getting them during the day (not the norm).   Hope this is a side affect of sugar withdrawal. 

On the very up side I have a very happy (though blissfully non-compliant) husband. He loves the food, but most of all he loves my doing all of the cooking. Last night he had a mint chocolate after dinner. Later I had my first food dream. I’d accidentally eaten a mint chocolate (how does one “accidentally “ eat chocolate?). I distinctly remember the taste. My only thought was “ Welcome to Day 1: round two”. 

I made it through days 4-6 during unexpected travel and some interesting social situations. A ticket became available for the Bears game in Chicago (I live in Texas, though am from Illinois) on Thursday, so on a whim I bought a plane ticket and went to Chicago for the game. I had dinner out with friends, went to a tailgate, and to a mid-afternoon game in an NFL stadium and did not slip up once! I am so proud of myself. It did help that my brother's girlfriend had done a Whole30 previously and she was happy to assist me in remaining compliant by cooking compliant food and having her house stocked.

My only symptoms thus far have been very minor headaches, sleep disruptions (though I was not a good sleeper to begin with), and I am hot. Like, really really hot. Like, have to change my shirt in the middle of the day hot. Is this normal?!?! I have never been a big meat-eater, and protein has always been the "nutrient" of which I get the least, so I am wondering if that has to do with it. Anyone have any ideas? I am 36, do not appear to have any other menopause or pre-menopause symptoms. This is literally the only negative physiological change I have had with Whole30. I have some NSVs like less bloating and more mid-day energy, so that is what is keeping me going. I would love to hear what y'all think.

Great job to everyone else out there who is on Day 7 and is still going strong! 

Day 7 is in the Bag! Tasted my bacon/chicken liver pate, and it came out really good - had it with sliced apple (my jicama had frozen in the fridge - ?!? Had to toss it). We had the meat sauce (again) for supper tonight, but over baked sweet potatoes instead of zoodles. Dear hubby is downstairs right now, cooking chicken sausage (Aldi's - chicken spinach) for his lunch - he has been very patient and good about sticking with the plan. He brings hard boiled eggs, celery with sunflower butter, avocado with salsa, and whatever his 'main dish' is - today was the meat sauce, tomorrow is the sausage in lettuce wraps. I suggested he bring an apple or a couple small oranges too. He usually has a banana with his breakfast - it helps with the occasional leg cramps from the insulin  - potassium is a diabetic's friend. The man is a lifelong carpenter, and is very active on a daily basis for work, so he needs 'snacks' to keep his blood sugar on an even keel.

I had a late "breakfast" - leftover chicken in (compliant) gravy.  I didn't get to eat anything other than a banana  until almost noon. Interestingly, I found myself feeling drowsy! Tryptophan  effect, anyone? :lol: I grabbed a couple clementine oranges and some nuts/seeds, and headed out into the ice cold winter air  - BRRRRR!!!! - woke me right up!

Tomorrow night will be B.A.S. night (Big A** Salad) - a variety of greens, tomatoes, meats, toasted punkin seeds, and mushrooms, served in quite large bowls. I really  like the W30 caesar dressing, and Mario (hubby) was pleasantly surprised to find that the W30 ranch was excellent - despite lacking dairy and sugar. I do a lot of homemade sides, condiments and main dishes - finding foods in the grocery that we can actually eat on this plan is almost impossible.

Week one done and dusted! Day 8 for me here in Australia. Feeling pretty good today, even though I had a rubbish nights sleep last night. I had a hard time eating anything yesterday, I felt quite nausea's and had very little appetite. This definitely hit my sleep as I think I was hungry.

Made myself breakfast this morning (which I never do) scrambled eggs with clarified butter and smoked salmon. Very delicious. I just need to add some veg in there to fill me up as I was hungry by 10:30 am. 

3 hours ago, HawkeyeE said:

My only symptoms thus far have been very minor headaches, sleep disruptions (though I was not a good sleeper to begin with), and I am hot. Like, really really hot. Like, have to change my shirt in the middle of the day hot. Is this normal?!?! I have never been a big meat-eater, and protein has always been the "nutrient" of which I get the least, so I am wondering if that has to do with it. Anyone have any ideas? I am 36, do not appear to have any other menopause or pre-menopause symptoms. This is literally the only negative physiological change I have had with Whole30. I have some NSVs like less bloating and more mid-day energy, so that is what is keeping me going. I would love to hear what y'all 

Sounds hormonal.  I got night sweats on my first Whole30 and I’m not menopausal.  Take it as a sign that this is really making a change in your body!

Hey everyone!! I just started whole30 on 1/1...well, actually 12/31, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've had a bit of a hard time food prepping for longer than a week at  time, but it's only week 2, so I have a feeling I'll get better as time passes. 

I've been reading a ton of comments and posts this evening. Its SO great to have this forum!! 

How has everyone's moods been? I find that I have a ton more energy, but am a little edgy in the evenings. Am I just crazy or can this make you get a little wonky before your body adjusts? Looking forward to hearing from everyone and to this awesome adventure!!

Day 7 has gone well so far.  It was my first day back to work so I made sure to eat a full breakfast (eggs, coffee, fruit & veggies) and pack a good lunch (ground beef, sweet potato, & a carrot).  I didn't eat the catered breakfast and lunch that we always have on the first day back after winter break but I enjoyed not having to stand in line with 100 other employees waiting to get food. :) I am looking forward to dinner tonight: roasted chicken, onions & butternut squash.  Yum!!  I had a lot of energy today and am feeling much better than I did over the weekend.  On Day 5 I had tummy trouble and slept 10 hours.  Cheers to finishing up our first week!!

Archived