Who's starting 1/1?

ChristyJ

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to wrap up day 7 with everyone, and looking forward to day 8! This week's busy, with kids going back to school, various appointments that somehow all crammed into this one 5-day period, and also having to plan (and shop) for next week's meals. Today's been a very tired day for me, not exhaustion just sleepiness. I'm horrible about drinking enough water, so I've been trying to make sure that I've constantly got ice to suck on instead, that way I get my water and I convince myself it's okay to not be grabbing a peppermint every time my mouth gets dry. I didn't even want to eat any of the pizza my husband and 14yo brought home today, it honestly didn't even smell good (and pizza has been one of my trigger foods in the past), so I'm obviously making some headway on that front... maybe I'm finally starting to realize that the smell of melty cheese is not a good thing for me :)  I also made the decision to go buy some dairy-free treats for my 9yo (there's a class party tomorrow and I have to provide her treat so she doesn't get the one the parent brings in), rather than making something here at the house - I'm sure I wouldn't have been tempted to eat any of whatever I would've made, but it would feel really strange to bake something for her while I'm on this program for me. She's still got something killer to take in with her, at least, so I did my job. With that, goodnight a bit later than I should even still be awake, and I hope everyone rests well!

Day 8 - won and done. A good day, had a BAS for lunch _and_ dinner...added chicken to the evening bowl. Mario and I turned 3# ground beef, 3/4# sugar free bacon, eggs, finely chopped 'shrooms and onions into two large pans of baked meatballs! Teamwork! He needs easy & quick breakfasts, so this will get him going in the wee hours.  I used the NomNomPaleo recipe for Big-O Bacon burgers, added  3 eggs, and the meatballs came out great.

Mario goes to see his diabetes doctor on Monday- curious to see what comes of it. His numbers have been very good - he's only needed insulin twice this week! Hooo-RAH!  Praying hard that these changes lead to (dare I say it???) complete elimination of meds... Time will tell.

Okay, HawkeyeE was looking for the recipe for Bacon/chicken liver pate - here you go! I did not add the mushrooms. I put the finished product in a glass bowl, smoothed the top, and poured melted duck fat over to seal. Ghee would also work very well for that.

Liver Pâté with Mushroom and Bacon
Ingredients
  3 slices bacon, cut into 3-4 pieces each
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 lb chicken livers
    1 c sliced mushrooms (optional)
    ¼ c. broth for simmering (bone broth)
    2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme (or 1 teas dried)
    1 bay leaf
    ¼ to ½ tsp. of salt
    2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Instructions
    Pan fry the bacon for 2-3 minutes.  Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes more until onion is soft.  Add the garlic and chicken livers, and sauté until the liver is no longer pink.  Add the mushrooms, broth, thyme, bay leaf, and salt.   Allow all of that to simmer for 15 minutes uncovered.
    Remove mixture from the pan. Discard the bay leaf.  Add fresh parsley and purée with an immersion blender or food processor. Refrigerate or freeze individual portions.

Day 9 is done!  I went to dinner with my family to Islands & decided to not to ask a million questions to try to figure out what I could eat there.  Instead I just drank water and made a delicious salad at home afterwards with fresh arugula from my garden, romaine lettuce, raw fennel, compliant bacon bits (leftovers from breakfast), vinaigrette, & chicken breast with this yummy homemade Lebanese garlic paste (think Zankou chicken):

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/01/toum.html

I used extra virgen olive oil because I love it but it would probably be really good with avocado oil or a light olive oil.

@alexandrarown,

Stay strong!!  Have a sweet potato or some other compliant carbs.  I know you can get through the craving!!

Hi Everyone, 

My name is Elise, I'm 33 and I started on 1/1 like all of you! I'm finding it OK so far. I live in Singapore, have been cutting out gluten on and off for 2 years now and I don't have a sweet tooth (lucky me!). The hard part, like previous people have mentioned is the alcohol with friends. I've found sparkling water with lime a great substitution (for now), and in full-on party mode it looks like Gin & Tonic or Vodka Soda ;-) . I'm saving so much money at the moment hahaha (alcohol is CRAZY expensive in Singapore!)

Oh and Cheese!!! I miss cheese! 

But now I'm starting to find things bland, or lacking flavour (i've done salads, SO MANY SALADS! Meatballs, grilled veggies/fish/chicken) but if anyone has some flavourful easy recipe suggestion I'm down! 

My other big concern is travelling to Vietnam in 10 days. And aside from stuffing my face on eggs and bananas at breakfast and bringing a giant packet of almonds, I have no idea how I'm going to keep the Whole30 up! Tips, thoughts, suggestions hugely appreciated. 

Day 10 onwards and upwards :)

Happy day 10, everyone!

Welcome, Elise :) Glad to have you on board with us!

re: food becoming bland... the thing I'm finding works best for me is variety, in the foods and the spicing. So if I know I've got a ton of carrot and celery sticks to get through, I'll mix up a few different dips so I have some quick options (and it really takes no time at all to throw some compliant mayo and spices into a bullet-style blender to whip together a new dip). For meats, the same thing, variety -- like not doing three nights in a row of ground meat dishes, because it's all ground meat even if it's actually turkey, then beef, then chicken (so instead, maybe I'll do a ground meat skillet dish one night, then a meatloaf the next, followed by patties for the third night). Changing the presentation helps with veggies too, sometimes, even if the seasoning will be the same. My family's actually excited about trying out veggie noodles; instead of roasting the batch we got from the market yesterday, I spiralized them instead and I'm going to use them tonight.

re: traveling compliantly... I've done very little of this, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. I did want to give a few ideas of things that have fared well with travel for me in the past. First, raw veggies - I'd go ahead and cut them into whatever shape and size I need to make them most snack-able, so I could grab those before the nuts. Apples and almond butter are a winner in my book, too, but I try to do less fruit than veggies, as a general rule. Boiled eggs get boring, I know, so I will often dice mine and toss them in with some mixed greens; throw a dressing on top and you've got a quick salad (all of which can be carried in good quality baggies, so it's helpful when trying to make the best use of room for packing). If you're flying, make sure your carry-on is insulated so you can properly keep foods cool while on board. For me, it's usually worth having a few fruit-flavored tea bags on hand, too (the kind without anything added to sweeten), so I'm able to drop them into water if it doesn't taste good by itself.

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Holy Cow!!! Day 10 is almost over.... that is crazy. I can tell you all that I haven't been eating enough food. I know this because ever since I had my DS (dear son) when I don't eat enough I get super tired (which could also be from lack of sleep) brain foggy and dizzy. It's just so hard to get enough when I am running after an 11-month-old (in 4 days) and making sure he's not eating random stuff off the floor he shouldn't be. Any suggestions other mamas out there? I did pre-cook 3 extremely large sweet potatoes so that I can just dish out the helpings in the morning for my breakfast and cook the eggs (which are much quicker) - that has made a huge difference. 

Day 10 is a wrap but I was HANGRY today.  I had meetings from 11:30-12:30, 1-3 then worked overtime and didn't get home until almost 8pm so my meal times were out of whack.  I ended up having an Rxbar around 5 to hold me over.  

Overall, I feel good.  I wish I were sleeping a little better, but I think my issues are more hormonally-related when it comes to sleep.  And maybe body temp.  Someone else noted they were running hot.  It's like my hot flashes that have been done for a while have come back in full force.  I'm full out sweating-wet hair kinds of hot flashes! :blink::lol:

I think I'm going to try out some new recipes this weekend-a whole30 pumpkin chili and maybe compliant crab cakes (I don't have a recipe to use, but may make one up with my husband).  I'll also whip up a batch of clam chowder by pretend it's a donut-it's good stuff!

I hope you're all doing well!

4 hours ago, mfustos said:

Holy Cow!!! Day 10 is almost over.... that is crazy. I can tell you all that I haven't been eating enough food. I know this because ever since I had my DS (dear son) when I don't eat enough I get super tired (which could also be from lack of sleep) brain foggy and dizzy. It's just so hard to get enough when I am running after an 11-month-old (in 4 days) and making sure he's not eating random stuff off the floor he shouldn't be. Any suggestions other mamas out there? I did pre-cook 3 extremely large sweet potatoes so that I can just dish out the helpings in the morning for my breakfast and cook the eggs (which are much quicker) - that has made a huge difference. 

Do you have a crockpot?  I like to put a bunch of chicken in the crock with cut up onions, chicken broth and Mrs. Dash.  You can then do all sorts of things with it like have shredded chicken with peppers and onions over cauliflower rice, olives and salsa, shredded chicken with compliant bbq sauce, chicken for salad, etc.

Make a double batch of soup.  There's a great recipe out there for chicken, sweet potato and kale soup that hits protein and veggies (you'll have to add a healthy fat).

Wow, today is day 11! We've passed the 1/3 mark, that's awesome! Historically yesterday and today are supposed to be the "Hardest Days" but I'm not really feeling that yet. My hardest days tend to be in the third week when I get so sick of eggs and sweet potatoes I want to scream. Luckily I use Real Plans and they do a great job of mixing up recipes for a lot of variety. In this past week alone I made a whole roasted chicken with veggies, a steak stir fry with peppers and sweet potato, kahlua pulled pork with red cabbage and mustard sauce, and faux-bolognese over spaghetti squash made with compliant bacon and the leftover pulled pork mixed in. YUM.

I also start to struggle with lack of appetite right around this time - not nausea or anything, just a total disinterest in eating. Especially in the morning for Meal 1. It is an effort to force down my food but I know if I don't I'll be starving in a couple of hours, so I usually just power through it. It typically gets better toward the end of the 30 days when the Tiger Blood kicks in. :D

Hope everyone is having a good week! 

12 hours ago, ChristyJ said:

I made an amazing crab cake recipe last weekend if you would like to take a look and use or adapt it! I used a recipe called " Whole30 Crab Cakes with Lemon Garlic Aioli" by thedefineddish.com. I was incredibly surprised how tasty they were and my boyfriend commented that he didn't think they tasted "healthy" as he comments when something from Whole30 tastes good- which he is incredibly surprised and has now joined in eating the whole30 dinners I have made because he thinks they taste good! I did find it was very difficult to keep the patties together, so the next time around I would play around with the amounts of cassava flour and perhaps add an egg to help keep the pieces together? I'm a beginner cook so maybe some others would have better suggestions.

Link: http://www.thedefineddish.com/whole30-crab-cakes/

Anyways Day 11, here we go! We got this!!! Sometimes on my hardest days, I try and hold on to my "WHY" for doing this. It's all worth it, in my opinion. Have a wonderful day all!

12 hours ago, ChristyJ said:

Day 10 is a wrap but I was HANGRY today.  I had meetings from 11:30-12:30, 1-3 then worked overtime and didn't get home until almost 8pm so my meal times were out of whack.  I ended up having an Rxbar around 5 to hold me over.  

Overall, I feel good.  I wish I were sleeping a little better, but I think my issues are more hormonally-related when it comes to sleep.  And maybe body temp.  Someone else noted they were running hot.  It's like my hot flashes that have been done for a while have come back in full force.  I'm full out sweating-wet hair kinds of hot flashes! :blink::lol:

I think I'm going to try out some new recipes this weekend-a whole30 pumpkin chili and maybe compliant crab cakes (I don't have a recipe to use, but may make one up with my husband).  I'll also whip up a batch of clam chowder by pretend it's a donut-it's good stuff!

I hope you're all doing well!

Sorry all! That previous response was for ChristyJ when she was referring to making those Crab Cakes. 

Day 11 is done!  I have eaten roasted chicken for the last couple of days but that garlic paste I made is so darn good I am not bored yet.   I have also had a UTI the last couple of days which has made the mornings annoying.  I opted not to take antibiotics and instead have eaten probiotics (fermented sauerkraut & fermented coconut) and unsweetened cranberries.  I have also been drinking hot water with a splash of unsweetened cranberry juice throughout the day.  The oddest but also weirdly delicious lunch I had was roasted chicken, hot cranberries, & cold sauerkraut drizzled with olive oil.   The combo of probiotics & cranberries has been working!  Hopefully I will be back to normal by the end of the weekend.  Good luck to everyone!!

Hi everyone. I resisted a plate of bakery goodies and unhealthy choices for meals served at an all day event today. I took my own lunch and snacks. Definitely a non-scale victory. I am past cravings and sugar has NO power over me. Feel relieved and proud. Thank you Whole 30!!!

Day 12 is down!

As I was getting dinner finished up this evening, a family member walked in from an afternoon meeting where food was served... and laid a huge catering tray on the counter. It was filled with a ton of stuff I can't eat... and since it wasn't eaten at all for dinner (that part was nice, since I'd cooked and we all enjoyed what I made!), all that non-compliant nonsense is now in my fridge, ugh. My solution was to tell them that's tomorrow's lunch for everyone except me (I get leftovers from today) -- IF they eat enough to make room for new food to fit in there, then I'll cook what I'd planned for tomorrow, we'll just have it for dinner instead.

I've been busy today, doing a lot of stuff that needed to get done (and have yet more that'll bleed over into tomorrow), and feeling rather accomplished despite the lack of actual "finishing" today. Feeling very tired, too, but not exhausted... just ready to rest. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, because at this point each day has been getting a little bit better than the last for me.

Day 13 is up... and the food dreams have started. All last night my dreams were filled with me catching myself halfway through foods I shouldn't be eating, then feeling sick and running to purge. It sucked... but (thankfully!) I woke up and realized it didn't happen, I didn't actually lose control, and it's been a long time since I've been that happy to wake up out of a dream. My takeaway is that I need to have awareness of what's in front of me / what I'm reaching toward, and a mindfulness of whether I'm hungry or if I'm just reaching to grab something because I'm bored or it's simply there.

My name is Chivon. I am 37, married to the most amazing man EVER. I don’t have babies yet and that includes fur ones too ;)I’m a barista at one of the illustrious Starbucks (can you tell I’m kind of dramatic LOL) in my hometown of Detroit, MI which I wanna run away from annnnnd I’m starting the Whole30 next month. I’m excited about this journey and even more excited to not be alone in this. I love accountability, so this is going to be awesome.

@Jihanna wow! Same happened to me today, but not a dream, at lunch! 

I reached for my boyfriends smoothie to try it and as soon as it hit my tongue I yelled: “Ah! It’s got yoghurt!” And ran around the corner to spit it out (sincere apologies to any passers by!) Oooops 

other than that glad day 13 is over. I’m generally feeling ok aside from still being very bloated and * cough* gassy every time I eat :-(

Hi everyone! I started Whole 30 on Jan 1 but am just now getting to the forum.  I see many of you are doing well.  Yay us!  I was a severe sugar addict mainly in the form of soda.  I drank close to 2 liters a day!  I’ve had so many negative health effects. Hypertension, hyperthyroid which is now after surgery hypothyroid, depression, and an allergy which is unidentifiable but causes me to have to take Zyrtec everyday for the past 3 years! I’m sure this program will at least help with many of my health related issues.  I’m already feeling better even though I still want bread, pasta, chips, etc.  The soda was so bad for me I think I’ve mentally banned it so I’m not really craving that as much.  I didn’t have too many withdrawal symptoms.  I occasionally feel like crying/yelling and a weird one; I experience muscle fatigue all the time.  I’m not tired like wanting to sleep tired, but when I’m walking long distances or hit a long flight of stairs, I’m wiped.  Anyone else experiencing muscle fatigue like I am? 

Anyway, glad to be here and I’m so proud of all of us!

8 hours ago, zesty_ruffles said:

@Jihanna wow! Same happened to me today, but not a dream, at lunch! 

I reached for my boyfriends smoothie to try it and as soon as it hit my tongue I yelled: “Ah! It’s got yoghurt!” And ran around the corner to spit it out (sincere apologies to any passers by!) Oooops 

other than that glad day 13 is over. I’m generally feeling ok aside from still being very bloated and * cough* gassy every time I eat :-(

Yikes! I'd probably have the same reaction, though. I'm honestly scared of accidentally getting something I shouldn't, so I've avoided letting anyone else hand me anything, lol.

re: gas issues... from what I've read elsewhere in the forum, the general suggestion is to check intake of cruciferous veggies (there are a ton of them, but some that most of us are probably eating are cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, turnips, radishes, arugula; it's worth doing a quick search just to see what all's on the list), because they definitely tend to cause gas. Raw tends to cause it more often than cooked, but some people just can't handle much of it (I've got a friend who can't eat broccoli in any way, shape, or form, unless she's prepared to have 2 days of bloating and gas pains).

@Raeann welcome! I don't have the muscle fatigue, but from what I've read suggested to others, I'd say to check your meals against the template to make sure you're taking in enough protein and fat. Other than that, check sleep patterns and water intake (they suggest we drink 1 ounce of water per 2 pounds of body weight, to make sure we're not at risk of dehydration -- I'm a big girl and I know I don't drink nearly as much as is recommended, but I drink water and/or suck on ice all day long, so I think that helps me). I'm glad you're joining us on the forum!

I haven't had any food dreams lately but on Day 2 I accidentally used dijon mustard with white wine in it and started to lick the spoon I used when I realized it wasn't the compliant mustard I had bought.  I ended up spitting out the non-compliant mustard (I felt sort of silly doing it) and cleaned out the jar I was using to make salad dressing.  The first time around, I realized that I lick a lot of spoons & taste  food frequently when I am cooking.  As long as it is compliant it is fine but I have to be mindful when I am cooking non-compliant food for my kids and husband.  My husband actually decided to stop eating meat & poultry two months ago!!  We have similar veggie heavy diets but I am just buying him healthy frozen vegetarian main dishes so I don't feel like I am a short order cook.  

Day 13 is done!  Congratulations to all of you for getting through the toughest days!!  Tiger Blood is here or right around the corner...

Almost halfway there!! I am struggling big time with eating meal 1 right now, which is no surprise because it happens to me every single round. But it's still rather frustrating. For some background, I get up at 5 AM and leave by 6 AM for work, and in that single hour I need to accomplish several things so I usually don't make an elaborate breakfast. And I typically sit down to eat around 5:15-5:20. I've never had a problem eating that early in the past, but I was usually eating things like oatmeal, waffles, etc. Apparently my body loves sugar at any time of day. :P But when it comes to eating protein and fat-heavy meals (and veggie filled meals) that early in the morning, my stomach is like NOPE. That's a hard pass for me, thanks.

This is annoying. I've considered packing meal 1 up and taking it to work with me to try to eat around 7-8 AM instead. I think I might do that the rest of this week, because the past few days I have definitely not eaten enough in the morning. I just can't choke it down when everything in my body is saying NO. Anyone else have a loss of appetite thing going on? Any suggestions on how to conquer it?

Feeling great otherwise though! Sleep, heart rate and waistline are all 10/10 right now. I can sense Tiger Blood right around the corner...

@kellyfoss I hear you! I was trying so hard to eat breakfast/meal 1 every day and sometimes could not keep it down. My body is not ready for food when I first wake up - even if that is at 9am on a weekend. I have always been a grazer and not a traditional meal-eater, so this whole thing has been hard for me. I have got lunch and dinner down, though meal 1 is not happening most days. 

Anyone else have suggestions? I am also nearly halfway (Day 14)...

Hi all! Joining late, but I started Whole30 with the new year as well! I'm a former vegetarian and grazer, so these last two weeks have been really challenging, but never boring. @HawkeyeE you don't need to eat breakfast! I believe there are some articles and book sections about intermittent fasting and how it can work with Whole30. With that method you wouldn't eat before a given time (in your case maybe 10 or 11am) and after another time (let's say 8pm). In that bracket of time you'd eat all your meals. You can have two large meals and a small one if that works best. I've found that the big meals, paired with keeping myself busy, really help me make it through the few hours between. 

I see I'm not the only one who's actually dreaming of food! I forgot that was part of the sequence and all of a sudden I was dreaming about cookies! I certainly hope the tiger blood thing runs true, because I'm so ready for it. I've been sleepy for the past four days or so and I could really use a change! 

Archived