Who's starting 1/1?

ChristyJ

Im à little discouraged now. Had   asked my bf to order me a preselected compliant salad to have after my bootcamp session last night but they were closed. 

So we went out as there was nothing at home. I went through the menu with a fine comb and found one item (I thought) was compliant and just asked to take out the cheese. As I finished eating, I told my boyfriend I was crazing the cheese (from the smell of his burger!!!) and he said:  “but there was cheese in your pesto” 

i feel like such an idiot, I even listed all the ingredients in pesto out loud and totally zapped on the Parmesan :-( 

Its my first whole30 and I do have a feeling dairy is something that affects me so now I’m just so bummed! Exactly half way and I’m thinking I need to add two more weeks before the re-introduction because of a tiny bit of Parmesan in a incorrectly ordered dressing. 

Just looking for Moral support ... 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Zesty_ruffles,

Don't be discouraged!!  You have done so much for your body in the last two weeks!!  I bet you will start to feel the extra energy any day now even with that wee bit of cheese in your salad dressing.  Just keep on going and if at day 30 you feel you can tack on 2 more weeks for an "official" Whole30, go for it.  If not, your body will still thank you for treating it so well.  Doing two Whole30s last year + reintroductions retrained how I eat everyday and gave me the "food freedom" to eat well most of the time and once in a while fully enjoy my splurges.  The point of this is not to be "perfect" but to establish a healthier set of eating habits to last a lifetime. 

8 hours ago, kellyfoss said:

Almost halfway there!! I am struggling big time with eating meal 1 right now, which is no surprise because it happens to me every single round. But it's still rather frustrating. For some background, I get up at 5 AM and leave by 6 AM for work, and in that single hour I need to accomplish several things so I usually don't make an elaborate breakfast. And I typically sit down to eat around 5:15-5:20. I've never had a problem eating that early in the past, but I was usually eating things like oatmeal, waffles, etc. Apparently my body loves sugar at any time of day. :P But when it comes to eating protein and fat-heavy meals (and veggie filled meals) that early in the morning, my stomach is like NOPE. That's a hard pass for me, thanks.

This is annoying. I've considered packing meal 1 up and taking it to work with me to try to eat around 7-8 AM instead. I think I might do that the rest of this week, because the past few days I have definitely not eaten enough in the morning. I just can't choke it down when everything in my body is saying NO. Anyone else have a loss of appetite thing going on? Any suggestions on how to conquer it?

Feeling great otherwise though! Sleep, heart rate and waistline are all 10/10 right now. I can sense Tiger Blood right around the corner...

That was me with the same time frame.  I'm up at 5AM and out the door by 6:15AM at the latest (it takes me 45 mins-1 hr to get to work).  I switched things up by washing my hair at night and just doing a quick wake up shower in the morning.  And I eat Meal1!  Everything is as prepped as possible the night before  (clothes are set, my coffee is ready to go, lunch is packed up in the fridge, etc.).  Meal 1 tends to be:  HB eggs and/or turkey bacon (cooked ahead of time & just heated up), roasted potatoes that I warm/crisp up in the toaster oven, leftover veggies & olives  OR a make a chicken sausage/onion/apple/kale/unsweetened coconut flakes mix ahead of time and heat some of that up.

Honestly, a few years ago I thought meal 1 before work was impossible.  It's possible.

7 hours ago, HawkeyeE said:

@kellyfoss I hear you! I was trying so hard to eat breakfast/meal 1 every day and sometimes could not keep it down. My body is not ready for food when I first wake up - even if that is at 9am on a weekend. I have always been a grazer and not a traditional meal-eater, so this whole thing has been hard for me. I have got lunch and dinner down, though meal 1 is not happening most days. 

Anyone else have suggestions? I am also nearly halfway (Day 14)...

Again, I was the same with this as well.  Breakfast growing up was a glass of OJ.  As I got older I'd have yogurt & granola later in the morning.  I never had the desire to eat first thing.

Now I eat all kinds of things within an hour of getting up, and my stomach is fine.  Your body will adapt after a bit and thank you. ;)

I had a bit of a breakfast/lunch fail today. Last night I intended to decide what to have for lunch today and went to bed before I actually prepped anything. This morning I made my breakfast, but realized my work pants needed to be steamed and ironed, so I ate the eggs and avocado, but only half my veggies. I have to go to the grocery store or find somewhere with a compliant salad nearby for lunch. I've been really determined not to buy lunch and have only gone out to eat once in the past two weeks (for dinner), so this is disappointing. I guess I was bound to have a day like this eventually.

22 hours ago, HawkeyeE said:

@kellyfoss I hear you! I was trying so hard to eat breakfast/meal 1 every day and sometimes could not keep it down. My body is not ready for food when I first wake up - even if that is at 9am on a weekend. I have always been a grazer and not a traditional meal-eater, so this whole thing has been hard for me. I have got lunch and dinner down, though meal 1 is not happening most days. 

Anyone else have suggestions? I am also nearly halfway (Day 14)...

I would start small to get yourself used to eating first thing, then gradually make the meal bigger as you become used to it. I would also try some "unconventional" breakfasts outside of eggs dishes. For me, sometimes it can be difficult to stomach eggs in the morning, but a fresh salad with protein might be a bit more palatable.

This is my second Whole30, and I find that my breakfasts are always small at the beginning (only two eggs) to get myself used to eating a lot of calories in the morning. By the end, I'm usually okay with eating 3 or 4 eggs.

@Jihanna I had a similar dream two nights ago. I drank a huge sugary alcoholic drink (without my knowledge) and when I woke up (in my dream) I was super peeved at my hubby for letting me drink it! Ha! My dreams are getting so vivid and real, even the ones that are not food related. 

I can't believe how late I am to the party! Half way through and I had no idea this thread was here :P 

I also started on 1/1 and this is my third (successful) Whole30. I say that because I've started a few others and then bailed because I wasn't committed enough. This round is going very smoothly so far. I haven't had any issues staying compliant and I even found a restaurant tonight where I could eat!! Its called Burtons Grill and I think its a chain so they might be all over. A bit expensive but worth it to have someone cook for you! 

The only issue I'm having is that I'm not sleeping well at all. Anyone else? It could be totally unrelated to the diet but something tells me its not. 

I am also an egg donor and I'll be going in for the procedure next week. I've done this several times before so I know what to expect but I've never been on a whole30 at the same time... I know I'll be very tired and sore afterward so I'm not going to want to cook and my stomach will be sensitive. Anyone have some good recipes that I can make ahead that aren't too heavy? Maybe some soups or soft foods? Anything would be helpful :)

On 1/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, zesty_ruffles said:

Im à little discouraged now. Had   asked my bf to order me a preselected compliant salad to have after my bootcamp session last night but they were closed. 

So we went out as there was nothing at home. I went through the menu with a fine comb and found one item (I thought) was compliant and just asked to take out the cheese. As I finished eating, I told my boyfriend I was crazing the cheese (from the smell of his burger!!!) and he said:  “but there was cheese in your pesto” 

i feel like such an idiot, I even listed all the ingredients in pesto out loud and totally zapped on the Parmesan :-( 

Its my first whole30 and I do have a feeling dairy is something that affects me so now I’m just so bummed! Exactly half way and I’m thinking I need to add two more weeks before the re-introduction because of a tiny bit of Parmesan in a incorrectly ordered dressing. 

Just looking for Moral support ... 

@zesty_ruffles I am really sorry to hear this. I did something similar actually, we use cast iron pans for almost all of our cooking and I realized just yesterday that I've been seasoning them with crisco which is soybean oil :( There is nothing we can do about it now and its not worth ditching the entire program over something like this. All we can do is keep going and be more vigilant going forward. I think its a good idea to add some time, maybe a week, before you reintro. It won't be as hard as it sounds because you're adding it at the end, after you've had all of this practice and your body has gotten more used to eating whole foods. I am actually planning to reintro super slow this time around so I may end up quasi-whole30 for a few months. Reach out anytime if you want a reintro buddy!

@Jihanna and @mfustos I had a dream last night about cheese! I subconsciously took some shredded cheese and ate it while making tacos at my mom's house. Then for the rest of the night I binged on cheese because I had to start over anyway lol. I was so scared my partner would be mad at me because we're doing this together! Luckily I woke up and realized it wasn't real.

@zesty_ruffles can you check with the restaurant to see if they do add Parmesan to their pesto? Sometimes they don't! It's a long shot, but it might be worth looking into. Either way, don't worry too much about the tiny bit of Parmesan that's in a traditional pesto. Like others have said, add time as you see fit and do this your way! Good luck :)

Thanks @megbeveridge and @Heathermarie74 feeling better already!

@Heathermarie74 I’m def keen to discuss  a slow re-intro process and bounce ideas! I want to get to the bottom of my forever stomach aches, cramps, constipation etc etc so i want to do a slower and more broken down re-intro (include alcohol reintroduction, especially wine as think I may be intolerant to sulphites)! 

How can we do that? Haha unless everyone wants to read our discussion, is there private messaging available on the forum? :huh:

@zesty_ruffles I've been considering doing a slower reintroduction myself, but haven't actually sat down to figure out how that might look. What I have done is read the Dear Melissa answer regarding slowing down that phase of things -- https://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

My reintro will look a little different anyway because I have some known sensitivities that I'll be navigating around. For instance, I'm allergic to dairy and I've heard that ghee often doesn't trigger allergies but I don't want to chance that during my Whole30, so my "dairy" reintro will include only ghee (that way I'll know if it's safe for me to use). I'm also wanting to use the slower pace to split groups up so I can individually test certain things I'm more interested in keeping than the "group as a whole" -- like oats, quinoa, corn, and green peas.

There is definitely private messaging available. Just click the name of the person you want to message, and it'll take you to their profile page where there's an option to send a message to them :) 

8 hours ago, Jihanna said:

@zesty_ruffles I've been considering doing a slower reintroduction myself, but haven't actually sat down to figure out how that might look. What I have done is read the Dear Melissa answer regarding slowing down that phase of things -- https://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

My reintro will look a little different anyway because I have some known sensitivities that I'll be navigating around. For instance, I'm allergic to dairy and I've heard that ghee often doesn't trigger allergies but I don't want to chance that during my Whole30, so my "dairy" reintro will include only ghee (that way I'll know if it's safe for me to use). I'm also wanting to use the slower pace to split groups up so I can individually test certain things I'm more interested in keeping than the "group as a whole" -- like oats, quinoa, corn, and green peas.

There is definitely private messaging available. Just click the name of the person you want to message, and it'll take you to their profile page where there's an option to send a message to them :) 

@Jihanna that is basically exactly what I'm thinking. I'm going to start a new thread for slow reintro so that we don't spam anyone who doesn't want to be in it. I'll tag you and @zesty_ruffles 

Happy closing of day 17 :)

I finally got my tiger blood today, but it honestly freaked me out a little. I'm bipolar, so I'm constantly watchful of my moods and on the lookout especially for anything indicative of slipping into a manic episode. Let me tell ya, tiger blood (for me) feels a heck of a lot like the best parts of mania -- my brain was multi-tasking (which was jumpy, but coherent), I had energy to do everything I had to get done (and it was a really busy day for me), I felt "light" (not anxious, not weighted, etc.), and so on. The downside here was that I kept looking for that other shoe to drop, so all day I kept questioning and almost fearing the feeling, because it really felt so much like the start of an episode. The upside is that it did finally click in my head that it's actually a good thing, and that I wasn't experiencing ANY of the negative bits that typically accompany the feelings I did have, which is pretty indicative that it wasn't what I feared. I'm hoping tomorrow I can clue in a little faster so I can actually enjoy what's happening without worrying so much that it would turn sour.

Day 18!  I am feeling pretty good, although I still have the final remnants of a UTI.  I didn't take antibiotics but instead I am taking probiotic pills to combat UTIs that I picked up from Whole Foods.  My skin is looking really good (my number 1 motivation to do Whole30) and a student that I don't know at the private Los Angeles area school where I work asked me if I was an actress.  :)     I have been waking up easily every morning at 6:00 am, have steady energy during the day and fall asleep almost immediately at 9:30 pm.  I have also been better able to balance my work & home responsibilities.  How is everyone else feeling?

I've been sticking with it, staying compliant but just got hit with a nasty cold that started the afternoon of Day 16.  Yesterday I came home from work, and today I slept in/stayed home.  I slept over 12 hours!  My appetite is gone right now, but I'm trying to still have a little something per meal time.  Luckily I made extra soup and froze it.

Started Day 18 with a BAS (aka Big Ass Salad) - Over a bed of shredded romaine lettuce, there was a pile of sauteed pulled pork, a sliced avocado, roasted tomato and pepper salsa, and my version of croutons - two fried eggs! Delicious and very filling. It was a late breakfast, so in lieu of lunch, I had a banana with a spoonful of my homemade sunbutter. Dinner tonight - surf n turf - venison steaks and sauteed sea scallops, with sauteed kale on the side. Now I am off to work for a few hours. Have a great day, everyone!

I had to lay off boiled eggs. I'd eaten so many of them that it had gotten hard to even try to eat one. I did increase the number of fried and scrambled eggs I was eating, though, so not really sick of eggs in a general sense, I guess. I get nauseated thinking about some of the very non-compliant foods that used to make me salivate, oddly... I'm not sure if that means I'm scared of what they'd do to me, or that I really am finding the remembered taste/feelings unappetizing now.

Just now, Jihanna said:

I had to lay off boiled eggs. I'd eaten so many of them that it had gotten hard to even try to eat one. I did increase the number of fried and scrambled eggs I was eating, though, so not really sick of eggs in a general sense, I guess. I get nauseated thinking about some of the very non-compliant foods that used to make me salivate, oddly... I'm not sure if that means I'm scared of what they'd do to me, or that I really am finding the remembered taste/feelings unappetizing now.

I don't know if it's because those are my two main protein sources, but I'm unable to eat chicken or eggs at all right now. I was also vegetarian before this so maybe my body is rebelling from the animal protein??

I briefly contemplated throwing in the towel at the beginning of my family's weekend trip!  My family and I went to Cambria with my husband's cousin and his family and we usually drink wine & beer in the evenings.  I thought, "I've already done this twice and I feel great" but then I went to the health food store and bought compliant Kombucha to drink instead.  I am glad I decided to keep on going.  Cheers to finishing Day 21!

Since people are talking 'tiger blood' I did have 1-2 days around day 17/18 where I felt totally energised and ready to rumble. Now not so much anymore. The main reason I'm doing Whole30 was actually due to digestive issues I've experienced since forever, all allergy tests coming out negative, so hoping the cleaning eating + re-introduction would give me answers. The re-intro is key for me. 

BUT, honestly, although my love-handles have gone down, I appear slimmer (or so friends and colleagues say) and my skin is better (side-benefits I guess, of which I'm happy) I am still incredibly bloated, gassy, especially after eating, I'm still not regular ...

Literally, after a meal I look like I'm 4 months pregnant! Anyone getting this?

9 hours ago, zesty_ruffles said:

Since people are talking 'tiger blood' I did have 1-2 days around day 17/18 where I felt totally energised and ready to rumble. Now not so much anymore. The main reason I'm doing Whole30 was actually due to digestive issues I've experienced since forever, all allergy tests coming out negative, so hoping the cleaning eating + re-introduction would give me answers. The re-intro is key for me. 

BUT, honestly, although my love-handles have gone down, I appear slimmer (or so friends and colleagues say) and my skin is better (side-benefits I guess, of which I'm happy) I am still incredibly bloated, gassy, especially after eating, I'm still not regular ...

Literally, after a meal I look like I'm 4 months pregnant! Anyone getting this?

I had the same tiger blood experience / timing as you! It quieted down after I reintroduced a heavy workout routine last week, so I'm hoping that as my body adjusts to the extra physical activity, the energy burst will come back.

For me, bloating and gassiness happens after I've been eating a lot of cruciferous and / or raw vegetables. Maybe try cooking your veggies more or straying from broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts (unfortunately, my favorite ones...).

On 1/16/2019 at 12:14 AM, Heathermarie74 said:

@zesty_ruffles I am really sorry to hear this. I did something similar actually, we use cast iron pans for almost all of our cooking and I realized just yesterday that I've been seasoning them with crisco which is soybean oil

I started a while ago to use coconut oil for seasoning of my cast iron. No reason you can't use avocado oil either.  I gave up crisco for just about everything - other than pie crusts (half and half with ghee) and some cookie recipes - it just kinda grossed me out  (that and cruel kids when I was growing up calling me "Crisco - Fat in the Can").

Archived