Who's starting 1/1?

ChristyJ

On 1/21/2019 at 11:01 PM, zesty_ruffles said:

BUT, honestly, although my love-handles have gone down, I appear slimmer (or so friends and colleagues say) and my skin is better (side-benefits I guess, of which I'm happy) I am still incredibly bloated, gassy, especially after eating, I'm still not regular ...

Literally, after a meal I look like I'm 4 months pregnant! Anyone getting this?

Maybe try adding in some probiotics.  I eat sauerkraut and drink Kombucha.  Whole Foods has a lot of foods with probiotics in them.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, GraceMelodie said:

Maybe try adding in some probiotics.  I eat sauerkraut and drink Kombucha.  Whole Foods has a lot of foods with probiotics in them.

Also digestive enzymes! You can search them in the forums to see what other people have tried.

How's everyone feeling on Day 24? My energy has been really great this whole week, but boredom is definitely setting in. Not so much boredom of the food I'm allowed to eat, but boredom at the strict "three big meals a day" structure. Before Whole30, I tended to eat more frequent, small meals because I eat slowly and feel full after rather small portions. How are others battling boredom? I'm fighting the urge to go back to my old habits that was more of a small plates / tapas style of eating!

I've had pretty good energy for the past few days, but today's flagged off around midday. Everyone in my house kind of experienced something similar, though, and I think part of it's related to the weather -- it was rainy all day, and we've had flip-flopping temperatures for the past several days now. My appetite was really off today, too, going way too long between meals... which I might think was me getting sick, except that I really don't feel like that's what's happening. I'm hoping tomorrow's a bit better, and am planning to make sure I keep a better schedule meal-wise. I've always kind of been a 3-per-day kind of gal, though, so it's just a matter of making sure I do that instead of falling back into the bad habits of the months leading up to Whole30 (snacking often, and on things that weren't the best choices - or even second best ones).

9 hours ago, Junebug2015 said:

Before Whole30, I tended to eat more frequent, small meals because I eat slowly and feel full after rather small portions. How are others battling boredom? I'm fighting the urge to go back to my old habits that was more of a small plates / tapas style of eating!

I add in another tiny meal with protein, fat & carbs right after work because I am pretty hungry after teaching all day.  I don't "work out" at a gym but I do walk about 5 miles a day, play with my kids and sometimes do yoga.  I usually eat at 7:30 am, 11:30 am, 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm.  I also make sure to eat totally delicious meals a few times a week so I look forward to them.  Some of my meals are just basic because I don't always have the time to dedicate to making them all super yummy.  My favorite meals this past week were 1) chicken curry with coconut milk 2) a salad with cubed chicken, fennel, arugula, & avocado with extra virgin olive oil, lemon & Himalayan pink salt 3) ground beef with roasted acorn squash, roasted walnuts & roasted dates 4) roasted cubed potatoes with kale, sunny side up eggs & hot sauce.  The rest of my meals were good but those 4 were super delicious. 

I had a definite nsv yesterday. I usually wear larger, loose shirts (to hide the rolls)...I took out a shirt that usually makes me look like a stuffed sausage. Well, I put it on and it was slightly loose - and when I looked in the mirror, I didn't resemble a (terribly) lumpy kielbasa! I'll take it!:D

Although, to be honest, I can't WAIT to step on that scale next week...but another part of me is a bit nervous...:unsure:

I made homemade ketchup yesterday, using dates instead of sugar or honey. I canned it this morning, and all the jars took! I wish I could can the homemade mayo, so I don't have to make it every week.  We are saving money, so I can't complain. As a school bus driver, I have a nice 3+ hours at home between my runs, so I'm able to do prep work for our meals. 

How am I feeling? Well, very happy that hubby's #s (diabetes) are excellent - for instance, last night was 126...which is quite low for him post dinner. I am excited that my weight appears to be heading in the right direction. Does anyone else daydream about being able to do more, have more energy, looking better...? I do - however, I have to be careful that I ground those dreams in reality, so I avoid disappointment.

Okay, back to work. Hope everyone has a great 25th day...!

Hello all,  I’ve haven’t checked in for a while, but am progressing right along.  My energy is good until right after lunch and the I really, really need a nap. 20 minutes later and I’m off and running. Anyone else experiencing odd energy ups and downs?

I last wrote about my exasperated hot flushes  I am pleased to say that these have abated!

Also, I started Whole30’s in hoping to alleviate my achy joints. It started quite suddenly about 1 and a half years ago. My doctor tested for inflammatory markers and found none. So unexplained pain. My only relief came from last summer’s 18 day passage sailing from Osaka, Japan to Dutch Harbor, Alaska.  No alcohol, constant movement, a very small appetite and lots of stress. My break from joint pain lasted about a month (full of unhealthy eating and drinking). Now almost four weeks into Whole30’s and only a slight decrease in joint pain. Kind of bummed, but I plan to continue well beyond 30 days. 

I am also interested in following those of you who are planning a slow re-introduction of foods. 

I'm still reading along :)

I don't think I could name a favorite meal... I've had so many dishes turn out wonderfully, and will be keeping many of the ones I've done so far in rotation as we move forward through reintroduction and beyond.

Some of this month's discoveries that my family and I have really enjoyed are:

https://www.wholekitchensink.com/instant-pot-pot-roast/
The roast was so very tender, and the vegetables were delicious.

https://unboundwellness.com/one-pan-meatloaf-dinner-paleo/
I used this ketchup with the meatloaf https://40aprons.com/whole30-ketchup-recipe/

http://tasty-yummies.com/bone-broth-braised-greens/
I love greens, but my husband doesn't... and he got seconds. I love this recipe!
I used compliant bacon to do lardons (for the fat) and chicken broth.

https://www.wellplated.com/paleo-chili/
I made this with ground turkey, sweet paprika (not smoked), and skipped the cumin, cayenne, and topping suggestions. I also did our cauliflower (riced) on the side, because my husband wouldn't have touched the chili if it was in there (he also made a pot of beans to mix in with his, but I didn't miss them a bit)

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/instant-pot-bbq-chicken-paleo-whole30/
I used plain yellow mustard (instead of spicy brown) and sweet paprika (not smoked), and made my own BBQ rub with the suggested ingredients. I also substituted a huge sweet onion, instead of a medium red one. This turned out so nicely, just tangy enough without overpowering me (I'm not a fan of vinegar-y sauces), and just enough sweetness (from the dates) to balance it out. It definitely isn't the tomato-and-sugar-laden sauce I'm used to, but I enjoyed it and will most likely do this from now on instead of dropping a bottle of store-bought barbecue sauce into dishes like this.

https://www.foodfaithfitness.com/bacon-cauliflower-fried-rice
This was SO GOOD! I didn't do an egg that day, and I never have sesame oil on hand, but the rest of the recipe I followed perfectly and it definitely met my standards. This is probably the closest I've managed to come to "not cauliflower" for my husband's taste.

https://laughingspatula.com/chicken-avocado-burger
I used ground turkey and about 3/4 avocado per pound of meat (I did a double batch each time, so 1.5 avocados to 2 pounds meat). Instead of almond meal, we used coconut flour, and that worked perfectly fine. I skipped the spicy stuff entirely. Turkey avocado burgers have probably been one of the very most favorite things, and will definitely continue to get cooked every week or two.

https://whatgreatgrandmaate.com/asian-daikon-noodles/
These made a super-tasty dinner for me last night, with plenty of leftovers since it was only me eating! It was the first time I'd used daikon radish, but I'm definitely going to be trying some other recipes that use it! I did skimp a little on this, using some plain cabbage instead of bok choy (and of course not having things like sesame oil or fish paste), and obviously I substituted coconut aminos for the tamari... but it was lovely.

I've really enjoyed roasting veggies lately, too. I didn't think I'd get into it, but I think I prefer roasted broccoli to steamed, and I definitely love roasted starchy veges like butternut and sweet potatoes!

Another thing I've started (thanks to one of the other ladies here) is cinnamon coffee. The cinnamon definitely covers the slightly bitter taste, so I'm actually enjoying my morning coffee again (and won't have any reason to add anything back to it later).

I am happy to say that I've made it this far! I never experienced true tigers blood but thats okay. I had a set back this week due to a medical procedure that is usually very routine and minimally invasive but was far worse for me this time. I have been basically glued to my couch and alternating between some pretty serious pain and discomfort for most of this week. I have to wonder if the diet had an impact on the way my body reacted but I managed to stay compliant through it! Feeling much better now and ready to start very slowly reintroducing foods in only a few days!

If anything, this gives me another reason to stick with Whole30 for a longer time, to allow my body the time it needs to even out my hormone levels and recover. Today I signed up for an obstacle race in June so I also have the motivation to start working out soon! 

@zesty_ruffles I lost track of your original post but I wanted to suggest probiotics and digestive enzymes for your digestion issues. I have used these for years and it has changed everything for me! I would also suggest seeing a naturopathic doctor as this is where I was told about enzymes and probiotics. 

This is what I use for enzymes... I take one before I eat anything and it helps me break down the food. Eventually, hopefully, you get to a point where you don't need them for every single meal but I would start off for a long while taking them before everything. 

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-foods-super-enzymes-180-caps?SourceCode=INTL4071&DFA=1&UTM_Medium=Shopping&UTM_Source=GOOGLE&UTM_Campaign=SWAN_National_Gen_Shopping_Null_Null_All+Products+4055-01+Digestive+Health+and+Fiber&UTM_Content=PRODUCT_GROUP&SourceCode=INTL4071&ds_rl=1262629&gclid=CjwKCAiAyrXiBRAjEiwATI95mcNMRikOsDSFj9dbSHs5P0_L3nVNB5Nw79TXNWMCJeYz-iccFxvMcBoCFLUQAvD_BwE

For probiotics I take this....  I highly recommend this brand but if you go with something else, make sure they are refrigerated. Anything that sits on a shelf at room temp is not alive and not going to help you. I take one of these per day and if I start experiencing any symptoms (constipation, bloating, yeast infection) I up it to 2-3 per day. 

https://supplementfirst.com/products/genestra-brands-hmf-forte?gclid=CjwKCAiAyrXiBRAjEiwATI95mZmVMij-6ZS7wko5AQ6g9ZNMIslKrlF8fsriwjX1vjpp2Si2IUCkBRoCNI8QAvD_BwE

I think I finally got tiger blood on Sunday! I felt great all day and it carried over into Monday. This morning I woke up more tired and I've had a slight headache and queasiness all day. I'm definitely excited for this to be over, but I also intend to carry over a lot of it, especially the mindfulness. I'm a snacker, I've always been a snacker, but I haven't been needing snacks for most of this program. I've been eating enough filling and nutritional food that I don't get hungry two hours later. That's a huge step! Sugar is definitely something I'll have to be careful about reintroducing. The term "sugar dragon" couldn't be more accurate to describe my personal sugar habit. I did fine staying away from fried foods, soy, even dairy, but I struggled with sugar. I've considered switching to xylitol in the past just to tame it, but I'm glad I didn't get hooked on an artificial sweetener either. Whole30 did so much more than divert the craving.

In terms of NSVs, I have some seriously loose work pants I'm going to have to do something about. Health and bloating victory, yes, wallet victory, maybe not! I've also gone from being a 5-year vegetarian to being able to tolerate all kinds of meats. I don't think I quite ate the W30 recommended amount with each meal, but just eating animal proteins at all was a big struggle. 

I'm so proud of all of us for getting this far! With only one day left, I know we'll all make it!

Sorry all. It has been a while since I checked in (been crazy busy at work) though I have read through and am so proud of all of us for getting through 28 days - so far. Day 29 going well, and, I mean, if we got this far we are definitely getting through tomorrow and finishing this thing!

Personally, my list of NSVs keeps growing, cravings never came, my "hangover" was later (like days 17/18) and not severe, and my grazing lifestyle is slowly morphing into a three-meals-a-day lifestyle. I am a bit nervous about reintroduction, because I do not really want to have to think through some food choices, though that is out of sheer laziness due to aforementioned crazy work schedule. 

Hope everyone enjoys the next couple of days and truly enjoys their glass of wine on Thursday. 

I'm still here! Although today was a day of cravings - reallllly wanted cheese, and sweet tea... I was strong and didn't cave...so, that's good. Although I know I have lost weight, today was one of those "I feel fatter than before W30" - brain is acting whacked:wacko:.  And frankly, getting a little tired of having to come up with dinner every night, making sure there are lunch choices....I want a chocolate protein shake. I feel like a petulant bratty kid. :angry:

I keep hoping for the tiger blood -  I have some projects here at the house that I want to delve into, but due to the weather causing school early dismissals and delayed openings, my days are discombobulated! I pray that this flagging enthusiasm gets recharged...

Husband is still doing well with his numbers - it was 110 Sunday night!:D Interestingly, his morning #s Monday were 134...he says that his body will make sugar if his #s crash during the night...didn't know  our bodies could do such things!  He is very pleased with these changes.

Tomorrow is the "last day"...congrats to one and all who managed to  complete this month. I hope we all have great reports and changes from this Whole30. God bless you all! :wub:

DAY 30 EVERYONE!!! 

Congrats to everyone for starting the year right and taking care of your bodies! It was a rough one for me, but I've learned a lot and I'm ready to make use of my new strategies in my normal life. 

What do you all want to reintroduce first?

I'm going to start with low-lactose dairy such as Greek yogurt and aged cheeses. I'd love to keep eating Whole30 until a special occasion comes around, but a special occasion is already coming tomorrow! It's my coworker's baby shower and I'm going to let myself indulge in some of the cheese and fruit during the celebration.

Holy cow ladies and gentlemen - it is day 30!!! I feel like the first part of the month went pretty quickly but this last week felt like FOREVER! 

My NSV: my relationship with food is back on track, much less brain fog, not craving sweets, clothes fit better, stomach is flatter, less bloated and less tummy pains, not snacky during the day, spent hardly any money on eating out, I think I have more energy (but any tiger blood is being immediately sucked up by my almost 1-yr-old DS). 

Disappointments: the dermatitis on my face that I thought was clearing up did not, my daily muscle pains and dull headaches are still here (I was hoping it was due to inflammation from sugar but now realize it’s from years of bad posture, sports and accidents. Guess I’m going to have to get regular massages... dang. :) ) 

I’ve never done a correct food reintroduction after any of my previous Whole30s, so I am going to really try this time. I know something is causing my stomach to feel like there are rocks in my gut and I need to see what it is.

19 minutes ago, mfustos said:

Holy cow ladies and gentlemen - it is day 30!!! I feel like the first part of the month went pretty quickly but this last week felt like FOREVER!  

Yes, this past week crawled by...BUT - we did it!!! Last day of whole30, and we made it!

I've been talking up the advantages and results of W30 to people who show interest - for instance,  to a couple who are just starting their W30 month on Friday. I happened to meet them at the natural food store in town, got talking about W30 and explained my and my husband's experiences. It is a great way to learn how our bodies respond to various foods.

Yay Day 30!!  Congratulations to everyone here!!!  I am feeling great and happy to have almost completed the 30 day challenge again.  I am planning on reintroducing only a few things: legumes, rice, soy and wine. I am currently reading a book called "The Longevity Plan: Seven Life-Transforming Lessons from Ancient China".  I love this book and highly recommend it!!  It is written by a cardiologist named Dr. John Day who travels to Bapan village in rural China where people regularly live healthy lives into their 100's.  There are many similarities between the Whole30 recommendations and the recommendations Dr. Day gives based on the habits of the centenarians living in Bapan village.  The centenarians eat three meals a day consisting of a combination of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, fermented rice, fermented soy & protein (fish, chicken & pork).  They walk everywhere and work in fields growing their own vegetables and fruit.  They all drink water & tea and some occasionally drink rice wine.  They eat no added sugar, no processed food, and no dairy.  The only real difference is the rice, legumes, soy and wine, hence why I am planning to reintroduce them to see how they affect me.  I am saying goodbye to sugar, wheat & all processed foods.  From my last two Whole30s, I know that sugar makes me break out, wheat gives me eczema and processed foods give me a stomach ache.  Too much wine gives me a headache but a little wine on occasion is fun.  One of the centenarians recommended, "Only put food in your body that will nourish you."  That is my reintroduction plan. :) I wish you all the best in your reintroduction phase!  

Yay!!  Congratulations all!!  WE. DID. IT.

I feel sooooo much healthier than I did at the end of December!  I'm not constantly swollen, I'm no longer achy, my clothes are fitting better, and I just feel so much more positive overall.   I needed this.  I needed to get back in control.  I've done the reintroduction before, so my body may have changed since the last time, but I know I can't do dairy (lactose intolerant at this point), gluten makes me stuffy and eventually makes me achy over time, and sugar makes me feel crappy.

Yay! We did it! I'm very happy with myself. Lost 1kg (which is not why I did whole30 so that's a bonus) but I feel better and look slimmer/fitter/less bloated. 

I re-introduced legumes at lunch with my salad, a few chickpeas and some tempeh... I'm almost folded in half cramping this evening. I was not expecting this from the first re-intro. Curious to see how the rest goes. 

OK. Stepped on the scale.  I am not happy. While I have lost weight, it is not (to me) a significant change. I am not happy. Having said that, it was a change in the "right" direction, so I (begrudgingly) admit that much. I apparently have much work to do. In my mind as well as on my scale. Being post-menopausal is a royal pain when it comes to losing weight.

At least, this Whole 30 has done great things for my husband - he has lost some weight, but most importantly, he has started the process to (hopefully) fire the pharmacy and the endocrinologist - only needed insulin 4 times this whole month! And has weaned off of one of the prescription meds. I hope in this next month we can add some fermented foods to our diet (I have a huge glass jug of mixed veggies and a small crock of sauerkraut "cooking" in the pantry), a healthy host of probiotics has beneficial effects on diabetes. 

This has to be a lifetime commitment and change for the both of us. We just got married this past autumn, and we want to get as much out of this life together as we possibly can. SO....I will be continuing cooking W30 meals, with only a few changes - but, I, myself, need to cut back on quantity and build up on quality (i.e., more veggies/not so much meat&fat/lighter on the fruits). Man, that sugar dragon is a stubborn so-and-so.

Archived