Who's starting 1/1?

ChristyJ

I am ready to begin my W30 journey today! I did one in 2016 and I remember feeling so great after the 30 days that I continued for several months. I also journal, so my notes reflect a much more positive, energetic person during that time!

A year ago today I had a big life change; I retired from my job position after 20 years. Adjusting to this new life screamed "freedom" in one sense, but unfortunately I took that as an excuse to fall back on some bad habits and push back the good eating habits I had built, and that included increased sugar intake, ugh...

Now I need to put this new-found "freedom" to work in a better, healthier way. I am pre-diabetic and  66 years old. I need to get my blood sugar under control and I need to lose weight. To accomplish that, I need more energy from healthier eating. I will be so happy to get through this week to get the excess sugar out of my system! I remember also feeling much better not eating dairy or grains. Looking forward to less brain-fog and a looser waist-fit in my pants as well!

It is good to have a group of people on the same path for support.

Best to you all - let's do this!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm Dana, this is my 2nd W30.  I loved it last time year/Januray and started again today.   I woke up at 7, did my treadmill for 45 min.  Showered made a W30 breakfast,  went to work,  came home for my W30 lunch... delicious..now back at work.  When I get home I'll probably have a precooked salmon! HAPPY NEW YEAR and take one day at a time!! :)

6 hours ago, eheinrich said:

One of my challenges will be wine :( I like to have a glass or so when I cook & this involves more cooking time. I know it's just an association habit I need to break. 

Good luck everyone!!! We got this!

Try building a new association. A special iced tea or other drink.

My husband and I began our W30 adventure today. He was a little dubious about going on a "diet" - but with my 2 Nom-Nom Paleo books, the internet and a desire to load our meals with flavor, this first day wasn't so bad. I have always been a grazer, so keeping this to three meals a day is challenging. Dear hubby is a diabetic, and I am hoping this W30 will lead to depleting the need for meds for him. He's testing right now...first day, dinner was 3 hours ago, and the # is....155! Excellent#, no need for a shot tonight. He is a happy man. We spent the day prepping, so, Lord willing, this will be the beginning of a great relationship....with food!

Started today 1/1/2019 too! 

I'm 45, recently put weight on after 3 years maintaining my peak fitness level and health level. About 2 years ago I slowly moved into unhealthy habits with food, though I've been able to stay active most of the time. I exercise regularly, and love it. I have a very hard time during winter months, however. I love to wake up early and work out, but when the sun doesn't rise until after 6:30am, I have trouble....lots of it. Lately I've been binge eating all the time, eating food I don't want to eat and usually don't eat (I didn't eat breads for a very long time! Didn't want to! And yet, I slowly started to eat bread as if it was part of my everyday life) 

I've been Whole30-Curious for over a year. I am doing it to re-establish a healthy relationship food, while also figuring out which foods feel worse during the winter months.  Whatever the case, I have cravings for sugar and I know it's draining my energy, delivering nothing but empty calories, probably making my seasonal slow-down a lot worse. 

I told my partner I won't be drinking for a month, threw out all of the temptations/foods I will not eat & my pressure cooker arrives in 2 days. I haven't prepped food yet and am still figuring out what i will prep - I'm looking for any and all prep recommendations (thanks so much for posting some already!)

I also:

• Started a Whole30 Journal and have written in it a few times per day. Today so far I've written about what I've eaten, how it feels to start, and figured out what feelings I was experiencing when I got a craving 

• Bought foods for meals I can cook over the next few days: zuchini & squash noodles, riced cauliflower, condiments, eggs, chicken, ground turkey, bone broth, spinach

Can't wait to be here to support each other, thanks so much for all the great posts and for starting this thread! 

Woooohoo!!! Hey Guys! I'm Stef Steel and just started the Whole 30 TODAY! I'm 27, a model and group fitness instructor. I'm mostly interested in the bio-hacking aspect of the Whole30 diet and am excited to see the psychological changes that occur! I also feel really excited about 30 days of no alcohol!

My biggest challenge will be avoiding alcohol in social situations and family events; it's ALWAYS there. 

38 minutes ago, n1b2 said:

I haven't prepped food yet and am still figuring out what i will prep - I'm looking for any and all prep recommendations (thanks so much for posting some already!)

I prep/shop every few days and make sure I always have the following on hand:

1. Hard boiled eggs

2. Cooked chicken breast

3. Compliant smoked salmon

4. Avocados

5. Bagged pre-washed greens

6. Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews)

7. Compliant olives

8. Homemade compliant salad dressing (Extra virgen olive oil, apple cider vinegar, compliant dijon mustard, salt & pepper) 

9. Roasted sweet potatoes, white potatoes or butternut squash

10. Raw veggies & fruit (carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers, apples, blueberries, etc.)

11. Coffee and compliant Nutpod coconut creamer 

12. Homemade mayo or compliant pesto

This is my 3rd Whole30 and I have my prep & menus down to a science.  I keep most of my meals pretty simple.  Breakfast is usually eggs, 1/2 avocado, blueberries and greens.  Lunch is a salad with chicken (or left over protein), 1/2 avocado, nuts, & dressing.  Dinner is seared chicken, salmon or steak with roasted sweet potatoes, raw veggies and a simple green salad.  Once or twice a week I'll make something super delicious like slow roasted lamb shanks.  Yum!

Cheers to everyone for finishing Day One!

Hi everyone!  It's day 2 for me, and I am really looking forward to this adventure.  This is my 2nd W30, so I know it's absolutely doable.  Thankfully, my husband is doing it along with me.  I would also be interested in a group text or some other accountability tool.  I'm 51 years old from Louisville, KY, with 3 kids.  My oldest 2 girls are home from college for the break, and I also have a 17 year old son.  I've got several compliant cookbooks which certainly help for meal planning.  

Hi everyone! Checking in because I also started the Whole30 yesterday. I've attempted one Whole30 before in 2016, but only made it to Day 21. Even though I didn't finish the program, it had major effects on how I ate and shopped. I'm ready to make it through the entire 30 days this time and to have a successful reintro period.

I'm feeling very motivated, especially since I was travelling home from a NYE wedding yesterday and was not entirely sure I would even be able to start on 1/1 as planned. I was able to find compliant food in the airport (hardboiled eggs and some fruit) and cobble together lunch from my pantry / freezer (frozen riced cauliflower with tuna and kalamata olives) before getting groceries later in the evening. It was empowering to know I was able to make compliant choices even in the absence of ideal circumstances. Let's do this!

Hi, I'm Tobin. I'm a 25-year-old marketer living in Torrance, CA.

I just started Whole30 on the first of the month and am excited to see how it affects my skin, mood and energy levels.

Last year I started but did not finish the full thirty days. I actually received some pushback/judgment from my family when mentioning my plan to start while on vacation last year. They mostly felt that the food groups eliminated were too extreme, so I've decided to keep my plans to myself this year.<_<

So far I've bought a ton of veggies and meats and have roasted them up, but I want to make more complete meals like stir-fry or soups in the coming weeks. My main craving is likely going to be for sweets, so I'm hoping to lean on fresh fruits and spindrift to get me through.

Wishing everyone on here good luck and perseverance through the month!

-TK

Hey guys! Checking in a bit late but I'm also doing the January Whole30 this year. This will be my fourth full round of Whole30. The holidays were rouuuugh. We had no less than seven parties to go to and several entertaining events at our own home that involved alcohol and copious amounts of grains and sugar. Not gonna lie, it was glorious! Had a wonderful holiday season and thoroughly enjoyed myself, but the time has come to return to a more comfortable and healthy way of eating. I'm hoping to use this month as a springboard for a serious long term lifestyle change this year. I'm getting married in June of 2020, and I'd like to look and feel my best by then. I also just need more consistency with my health in general going forward into my 30's, especially since I hope to start a family soon.

All that aside, my basic background info: 29-year-old female living in Ohio, cat mom to 3 furry children, live with my fiancé in the house we bought last year. :) I'm a Senior Graphic Designer for a living. 

Good luck to everyone and a very happy day 2 to you all!

22 hours ago, eheinrich said:

I'm also starting today. I had a mostly successful whole30 last year. Lost weight, gained energy. Summer travel derailed my new and improved eating habits. 

I turned 50 last year and have a past cancer diagnosis (breast 2015) and a history of depression. I'm super motivated to get through this and stay on top of things after the 30 days. One of my challenges will be wine :( I like to have a glass or so when I cook & this involves more cooking time. I know it's just an association habit I need to break. 

Good luck everyone!!! We got this!

I have this same issue with wine - I found that drinking my favorite flavors of hot tea really helped with this! It's a different way to "unwind" and relax, especially in the colder months, and gave me the same sense of satisfaction. Try replacing the wine with something compliant that you like.

13 hours ago, GraceMelodie said:

I prep/shop every few days and make sure I always have the following on hand:

1. Hard boiled eggs

2. Cooked chicken breast

3. Compliant smoked salmon

4. Avocados

5. Bagged pre-washed greens

6. Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews)

7. Compliant olives

8. Homemade compliant salad dressing (Extra virgen olive oil, apple cider vinegar, compliant dijon mustard, salt & pepper) 

9. Roasted sweet potatoes, white potatoes or butternut squash

10. Raw veggies & fruit (carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers, apples, blueberries, etc.)

11. Coffee and compliant Nutpod coconut creamer 

12. Homemade mayo or compliant pesto

This is my 3rd Whole30 and I have my prep & menus down to a science.  I keep most of my meals pretty simple.  Breakfast is usually eggs, 1/2 avocado, blueberries and greens.  Lunch is a salad with chicken (or left over protein), 1/2 avocado, nuts, & dressing.  Dinner is seared chicken, salmon or steak with roasted sweet potatoes, raw veggies and a simple green salad.  Once or twice a week I'll make something super delicious like slow roasted lamb shanks.  Yum!

Cheers to everyone for finishing Day One!

This is great advice!  I am not crazy about planning and preparing elaborate meals, so the simpler the better.  I should be able to do this!  Yes, it did feel good to put the red X on Day 1 of my calendar! :) 

15 hours ago, JudiPurple said:

My husband and I began our W30 adventure today. He was a little dubious about going on a "diet" - but with my 2 Nom-Nom Paleo books, the internet and a desire to load our meals with flavor, this first day wasn't so bad. I have always been a grazer, so keeping this to three meals a day is challenging. Dear hubby is a diabetic, and I am hoping this W30 will lead to depleting the need for meds for him. He's testing right now...first day, dinner was 3 hours ago, and the # is....155! Excellent#, no need for a shot tonight. He is a happy man. We spent the day prepping, so, Lord willing, this will be the beginning of a great relationship....with food!

Congratulations on beginning your first W30!!! As it is hard to think of just 3 meals a day,  I have found that I feel fuller longer eating this way.  I'm hoping you both will experience the same and not miss those "empty calorie high in between snacks".  Best of luck with your hubbies diabetes

Also started on the 1st. I did my first whole30 several years ago so feel like I know what to expect. Need to get rid of the sugar cravings again. They have a way of sneaking back up on you over time! I've learned to keep weekday meals simple! Eggs, spinach and berries for breakfast, a salad with some sort of protein (grilled chicken, tuna or hard boiled eggs) for lunch and grilled fish, chicken or steak with riced cauli and whatever green veggie I feel like for dinner. Always have roasted beets, sweet potatoes and butternut squash on hand. Here's to a new beginning in 2019.

15 hours ago, JudiPurple said:

Judi - I am also diabetic (type 2 but not insulin dependent). I saw a HUGE drop in my daily blood sugar counts during my 1st Whole 30....down to a fasting level in the 80's in the morning (vs. my normal 130ish). My A1C also dropped nearly a full point. That is what motivates me to try and stay close to the whole 30 guidelines most days!

Happy Day 2, everyone!

Just wanted to check in and say Hi. I felt really great yesterday eating W30-style but then I got a migraine in the evening and it was pretty difficult. I get barometric pressure headaches sometimes and the one I had yesterday turned into a pretty nasty migraine. Normally, I will have a regular coke with my migraine medication (my Doctor says it's helpful to get your blood sugar elevated and caffeine to open blood vessels for my meds) but I didn't have one. Instead, I made a Matcha Latte with Unsweetend Almond Milk and took my meds and I woke up feeling better today.

Does anyone have tips for headaches and what happens when your body goes into withdrawl? I'm nervous about the effects after having no sugar. Any tips are surely welcomed!

Hope you're all having a happy and healthy one so far!

Take good care, Gia.

Happy day 2! Felt good this morning but slowly developed a brain fog with headache and ++ fatigue.... drank a black coffee, which seemed to help only slightly. I think my body is going into sugar withdrawal from all those holiday sweets now! Anyone else feeling this way? Must keep going!

The start of Day 3 for me here in Australia, and back to work after the holidays :-(

It was hard to get up this morning as I’m not sleeping well, I’m hoping the Whole 30 will help with this. 

I’ve had a constant headache for the past 2 days which has intensified this morning - hoping this will pass soon. I’m also really struggling to eat breakfast, my last whole 21’s this passed somewhere in week 2.

Hope everyone is staying strong. I’m just hanging in there this morning.

I did my first Whole30 last January and felt great by the time I finished.  Just days later, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and have spent this last year in treatment, including a masectomy, chemotherapy, and two additional surgeries.  My treatment ended in December and I'm excited to begin my second Whole30 with you all.  Day 2, feeling fine.  I got through the last year surprisingly well (yes, Melissa, cancer is hard, Whole30 is only sort of hard!) and I know that clean eating and a positive mindset made a big difference (and my doctors agree).  To any of you who are cancer survivors or have other health challenges, work with your medical team but doing something great for yourself like the Whole30 helps both the body and spirit.  I am grateful to be here to do this journey!!  

You are not alone,  I  too have had a headache for the day, this is day 2 for me of my 2nd W30.  I routinely take 2 tylenol in the morning and again if needed fyi...to help keep it manageable...I also made a commitment to wake up before work early enough to get a 45 min treadmill workout in before breakfast,  (I've always had insomnia)  but with getting up earlier working out, not napping during the day,  I'm finding myself to be more tired around 10 to actually fall asleep.  Hang in there!

Archived