Whole30 Round 3

Sharl

This will be the third year that I have done a Whole30 in January and I'm very excited to get started.  I did the first one in 2017 and lost 13 pounds.  Felt amazing too!  This year when I did round two, I lost 11 pounds and again felt amazing. 

Unfortunately, I did not do a proper re-introduction in either of the rounds and that was a foolish mistake.  I'm still not certain exactly what foods given me problems, though I'm pretty sure gluten is right up there because I get canker sores in my mouth when I eat too much of anything with gluten.  I'm definitely lactose intolerant.  When I've been off dairy for an extended period and then go back to eating it, I get terrible stomach cramps.  So, long story short. . . .I am planning to do a proper re-intro this year and figure it out once and for all!

It's amazing how many more resources there are out there since my first round in 2017.  It's going to make things a whole lot easier!  I'm already getting together a meal plan for the month and there are so many recipes out there that I never need to repeat one.   We also have a Whole Foods in my city now which wasn't here when I started the first round. That should make things easier too! 

Tomorrow I will weigh and measure myself and prep all my goodies like mayo, ketchup, breakfast sausage, etc. 

Good luck to everyone who is starting a new round on January 1, 2019!

R3 - D1

I had two cups of black coffee when I got up this morning.  That's pretty normal for me.  I've always taken it black, so no hardship there.  :)

Breakfast was yummy!  Homemade pork sausage patty, 2 scrambled free range eggs, a couple of cups of baby spinach and arugula and five olives for some fat.  I was going to have two sausage patties, but they were so filling that I settled for one.  Also had a cup of green tea to go with. 

Lunch ended up being a 12 oz. mug of chicken bone broth, a mandarin orange and about a dozen almonds.  I was still full from breakfast and saw no reason to eat more than I needed.

Dinner is baked chicken wings and thighs, roasted sweet potato and garlicy kale.  The rest of the family will have some rice with their dinner.  No biggy for me.  I'm quite fine with just the sweet potato.  Don't miss the rice at all.   Normally while waiting for dinner I would have a glass or two of wine, but I am currently having a nice cup of peppermint tea and thoroughly enjoying it.  Day 1 is almost under my belt and it has been a breeze.  I'm not an after dinner snacker so I'm not worried about making it through the evening.  A couple more cups of herbal tea and I'll be just fine!

I made a trip to Whole Foods this afternoon in search of some compliant horseradish.  All of the horseradish I found in the regular supermarkets has sugar in it.  I just so happened to score big time!!!  I found a ""small batch" mustard horseradish made here in Canada and OMG is it ever delicious.  It's a little thinner than the horseradish that I usually buy and not as creamy, but the flavour is out of this world with a real kick!!!  Can't wait to try it on the prime rib I'm cooking for tomorrow's dinner.

R3D2 -

2 cups of black coffee first thing in the morning.  Same as always. :)

Breakfast was 2 compliant pork sausages from the butchers, 2 veggie fed scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup of leftover sweet potato mash and a couple of cups of spinach and arugula.  Very filling and very satisfying.

Lunch was a mug of homemade turkey bone broth and four leftover chicken wingettes.  The dry rub recipe for them worked out really well and everyone was saying how tasty they were.  I'll have to make it again sometime.

Dinner tonight was the prime rib that we were supposed to have last night.  It took longer to cook than I thought it would.  I think it was still a bit frozen inside when I put it in the oven.  So, by the time it was cooked I was absolutely famished.  But, it was SOOO worth the wait.  Tender and delicious!!!  Served it up with some roast baby potatoes that were all golden and crunchy and some wonderful Umami gravy from Nom Nom Paleo with sides of carrots and green beans.  After dinner I had peppermint tea.

All in all it was a good day.  I got lots of small things that needed doing out of the way.  I'm already looking ahead to the Tiger's Blood portion of this journey.  LOL

R3D3 - 

2 cups black coffee after getting up.  So predictable.  LOL

Breakfast was 2 homemade pork sausage patties and a 2 egg omelette with some green onion, potato and nutritional yeast with a couple of cups of arugula and spinach.  It was pretty tasty.  I liked the sausage better than the first batch I made the other day.   I didn't put any fennel in and I prefer it.

Lunch was a small salad with O&V dressing and a small handful of macadamia nuts.

Dinner was homemade butter chicken with steamed broccoli.  I must admit I would have liked to have rice and naan like the rest of the family, but it was still really, really tasty.
I'm just enjoying a couple of cups of herbal tea and then will go to bed at a reasonable hour.

I had to take a nap this morning because my eyes were so tired.  I laid down about 10 am and didn't get up until after noon.  I was out cold.  The fatigue is showing up earlier than in the official calendar.  :)   I also had the slapped face syndrome and itchiness yesterday.  Didn't know it was a thing until someone was talking about it in a FB forum today.  There were a bunch of us with the same thing.  Interesting.  Most of us have already done a few rounds and this was the first round it has come up.

On the bright side, NSV's, my hands aren't as sore and stiff as they were, my belly is starting to feel flatter and my knees aren't as stiff as they were.

R3D4

UGH!  Sleep was hard to come by last night.  It was around 2:30 in the morning when I last checked the clock and I fell asleep sometime after that!  Up at 8 in the morning.   I think that it is partly related to the detox, but also a restless bed partner and two noisy teenagers (bedroom and kitchen share a wall).  So, I'm tired this morning but not feeling too bad.  I'm not still or stuffed up and the sun is shining.  After what feels like weeks of rain, the sun is shining!!! 

2 cups black coffee

Breakfast: homemade pork sausage patties, fried eggs, hash of arugula, spinach, broccoli and mushrooms

Lunch: macadamia nuts, bone broth, granny smith apple

Dinner: Salmon, shrimp, kabocha squash (yum! will buy that again!), asparagus and peppers.  Mandarin orange and peppermint tea.

I even managed a walk in the beautiful sunshine and it felt like spring was on the horizon.  We are experiencing very mild weather here on the westcoast, even with all of the rain it has been warmer than usual.

R3D5 and we're just rolling along here.

Last night was the first night in a long time that I had a really good solid sleep.  I went to bed a bit late so was a bit tired this morning, but not groggy tired or hung over tired.  My body just knew it went to bed late.  It passed though. 

I'm pretty proud of myself and very thankful that I don't have a sweet tooth.  I'm an artist and had a show opening to attend this afternoon.  There were plenty of treats on the food table and some punch that looked sweet.  I was glad that I brought along my own travel mug of mint tea!  Finding that the mint tea helps to keep my mouth feeling fresh and it justs adds a little bit of flavour to bland.  As for the snacks, I opted to pick off of the veggy platter and avoided the dip.  Worked well and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything!

2 cups black coffee

Breaky:  homemade pork sausage patties, 2 scramble eggs with green onions, cubed zucchini, avocado

Lunch:  bone broth, mandarin orange, macadamia nuts, veggies, mint tea

Dinner: pan fried pork chop, Greek salad sans feta :( (missed it a little bit but not much), herbed red potatoes, kalamata olives, mint tea

Closing in on that one week mark and feeling strong!

R3D11 -

Still rolling a long here.  It's pretty easy these days.  I was out today around lunchtime and it was very tempting to just go to the cafeteria at Costco where of course there is nothing healthy.  But instead, I cracked open the bag of pecans that I had purchased and had a handful of those instead.

Dinner tonight was taco salad.  Who knew that homemade taco seasoning tasted so much better than the pre-made stuff.  I'll definitely make my own from now on.  

I can't believe that this is already a third down.

Archived