Runner starting Jan 2nd - looking for support group

jenrunsaustin

I'm in Jan 2!  Looking for a support group, especially runners who are trying to complete the challenge and not totally have your training program messed up.  Interested in hooking up with any type of runner for support whether you just run a couple times a week or daily - a runner is a runner.

Done/tried the Whole30 several times, even once successfully - but did not really take the reintroduction seriously - going to do that this time.  I am thinking sugar may contribute to my body aches.  I have been spending the last couple of days at least cutting down on the sugar so it doesn't hit me quite as hard.  Also need to work on cooking food, and eating more veggies are my long term goals.

my story - I am a distance runner and this years running challenges include Jan half marathon (day 19 of Whole30 should be interesting), March birthday trail marathon, April trail 50k race, and August run/hike around Mont Blanc and possible an BQ attempt in December (finally old enough I have a slight chance)- so lots of training and have to be fueling my body better.  Also doing Run the Year - 2019 miles which I will include running and walking/hiking.

I would love to here about your running goals.  (I am a total running geek).

I'm a relatively new runner even though I'm in my 40s, I abused food for many many years and running was not even close to an option (I was the guy you hoped for if there was a bear nearby - you just had to outrun me). 

I started around March of last year and did my first 5k in May.  I did a total of 6 this year and did 1 successful and 1 unsuccessful (28 day) Whole30.  I did a 5k in the midst of my successful Whole30.  But a 5k is much different than your numbers of course. Hah.

My running goals this year are to run the Peachtree Road Race (10k) in July, a Half Marathon in the Fall and 10 5K races sprinkled in throughout the year (my first will be on January 12th).  I'm a slow runner at the current time but I've been getting better.  My first 5k was 39 minutes in May and I'm around 33 minutes now.  So my other running goal will be getting my first sub-30 5k.  Baby steps for sure.  I didn't really know how to improve my speed until doing more research recently so hoping to break many more barriers.  I was pondering doing the run the year as well but my combine that with my biking.  

I enjoy hiking as well and have started doing some trail running which I absolutely love.  So I anticipate doing more of that this year!

All that to say, I'm also starting Jan 2nd. 

Also a runner! Goal is to start tomorrow. I've done one "true" whole30 before, a few smaller ones (7 day, 28 day, 14 day) thrown in there over the past few years as well. Wanting to do a true whole 30 the right way this month, and I suspect it might jolt my system! I've been pretty paleo over the past 3 years but have really slid away from that the past 6 months (eating peanut butter on toast right as we speak!) The first time I did a whole30 I was pretty lethargic or apathetic toward running during the first 2 weeks, so hoping to avoid that but we'll see. I do want to BQ at some point this year, but I have yet to commit to any races this year except for a half marathon in a couple of weeks. Other than that, I want to try to run 2019 miles in 2019, so just keeping the mileage up. I need people to hold me accountable so I'm so happy to have found this thread!

Also a runner and triathlete. Have been taking a break the past few years but want to start getting back in shape and seeing what I can make this old body do! ( I'm 55).I do eat pretty healthy for the most part but haven't been as good as I should have the last few months. Lots of social gatherings and wine!...need a kick start so tomorrow is my start day. First time doing Whole30. Only have 3 races right now ( Lavaman, Coeur d'Alene 70.3, Super frog 70.3) but will do some running events or local triathlons. I like the 2019 miles in 2019 goal and a BQ would be nice...but not sure about that one yet. I've gotten really slow over the years!

Anyway, here is to a new start!!

Glad to have some company and support!  I actually ended up starting today since we just went out for coffee (not breakfast) after our 12 mile run, 7 mile walk (19 miles done 2000 more to go).  Had a potato, carrot and small amount of chicken pre work out and a Lara bar for fuel, no stomach upset - yay!

Figure I am concentrating on mileage and not speed at all this month.

Anyone have any successful fueling ideas?

I like the idea of running/hiking/walking 2019 miles this year.  It breaks down to just under 6 miles a day.  I used to be a serious runner and cross country coach.  I ran track & cross country in high school and in my 20s and 30s, I ran 3 marathons, several half marathons and many shorter distance races.  I had to look up BQ, and realized it meant Boston Qualifying.  I came close with a best marathon time of 3:48 when I was 26 years old.  Now in my 40s, I hike and walk and occasionally run.  I love to hike, so I'd like to join your group to inspire me to hike/walk 6 miles a day.  I am on Day 2 and this is my 3rd Whole 30.  I only walked 2 miles yesterday, so I have some catching up to do.  Thank you for inspiring me and giving me a fun new fitness goal!!

Eating is going ok, I miss chewing on gum and little snacks - but I guess that is why I am doing this.  I will need to remember to bring some raw veggies, nuts, fruit etc to keep in the fridge at work.  I am hungry more from thinking about food and not really wanting to do the work in front of me (typically when I start eating crap food).

My body feels very heavy and tired, I can tell already it is going to be a tough run tonight!  Slow and steady...

@jenrunsaustin today was definitely a “hangover” for me too. Ended up walking for an hour on the treadmill this morning instead of running! 

The snacking while working thing was/is an issue for me too. I used to snack much more often before I did a few whole30s and tried to stick to 3 structured meals. Now I get the urge to snack, but same as you, I know it’s just a procrastination thing. So timely - this weekend I realized that was happening, and thought maybe I just like to keep something busy (i.e. maybe I just like chewing gum or having a mint because it’s a constant fidget). I bought some silly putty (lol, how actually silly) and have been playing with it in my hands while doing work on the computer, and I think it’s satiating that need to fidget and helping my concentration. I wonder if that might help you too? Breaking the habit of wanting to munch is hard!

BTW - I created an Instagram account to hold me accountable if you’re interested :) @Chroniclesofa20somethjng 

I thought  I Wrote on here about an hour ago wonder where that went

Anyways 10 miles today, legs had nothing on th up hills and I am still feel beat up 6 hours later.

Foods going ok, had shrimp,  bacon and guacamole for lunch and making Chile for dinner.

Keep going one step/meal at a time

10 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

Walk 2.5 miles to get my cup of coffee this morning (5 miles round trip) good to get the miles in, still get out of the house and be whole30. 

Great idea!  Combining errands with walking is an great way to get the miles in.  I am thinking about walking to work and running back home this week.  I work 3.5 miles from home and it is completely flat so it would be doable.

I am only 3 miles under my goal mileage for this week.  I was a little sore after running 3 miles and walking 4.5 miles yesterday but I discovered I am still a runner. :) Yesterday I had some tummy trouble and slept 10 hours last night but I feel much better today.  I hope you all have a good Day 7!

Done very little running these last few days but did 2 5 mile strenuous hikes.  On the second one I did a bit of running but just didn't have the "legs" I think partly because of my body adapting to the food and partly due to my 5 miler the day before combined with a trip to 6 Flags with my kids after.  Walking around an amusement park after a 5 mile hike definitely gets those legs burned out.  I also didn't fuel before the second one because I was in a rush to get out the door!

Food is definitely going easily.  Did a ton of meal prep last night.  A Kale/Sundried Tomato/Artichoke/Canadian Bacon Fritatta, Chicken Tikka Masala, 2 Pans of Roasted beets and a Pureed Butternut Squash recipe.  

Have to get a few runs in this week as I have a 5k Saturday!

Food is still going ok, get to go to a work function tonight and watch everyone else it and drink, I think it will be fine, just a bit boring and cutting into my running time!

Body is definitely tired, but I am changing a lot and asking it to stay very active so not surprised.  I think doing the running/hike/walk challenge at the same time is actually helping as it give me another thing to obsess about besides food.

@GraceMelodie glad you found out you are still a runner

@Katrina2428 welcome, first days are very hard, you got this

@pags98 six flags definitely hard work!  Probably nothing you could eat there

I just started using a Fitbit this week and I realized that I walk 5.5 miles on the days I teach 3 high school classes and walk all over campus!  I work part-time and only teach 3 classes every other day and one class on the other day.  Today I woke up earlier than normal at 5:00 am and had good, steady energy all day.  I think I am ready to go to sleep now. :)

I am still hanging in there following the program to the letter, but getting really tired of it.  I have plenty of food, like the taste, but it just is not fun (like mid point of a marathon).  I have been social, but miss eating and drinking (my beer if that a week or mocha latte) while out with friends.  

I know that this point if hard as it is a lot "why am I doing this" actually the word I use in my mind, I really don't want to type here...  I definitely do not feel better in the areas I was hoping would this elimination would help, but I guess that is really typical as well.

Still do not have a lot of energy in my legs for my runs

I know I'm sounding whinny here, but over all attitude isn't that bad.

Hi everyone, I am Kristin.  I have been a runner my whole life, this is my first Whole 30 and I am 7 days in.  My workouts (yoga, running, HIIT, and weight training) have been trash, my mood is trash, and I have had serious abdominal cramps for no reason I can identify.  I have been vegan for the better part of a year and had to reintroduce meat in my diet to not die on Whole 30. I did the vegan --> omnivore transition a week before starting Whole 30.  Anyway, I am really glad to have come across this group and realize that I am not alone in fighting through this program.  I have noticed a drop in inflammation in my joints and I am leaning down very quickly (probably from the lack of pasta).  My attitude is still strong :)  just the rest of me is tanking today! I have been eating fresh fruits and dates as my pre-workout.   I have a 10-mile loop scheduled for this evening after work, so hopefully, that will help improve my mood and get a little outdoors therapy. I have been doing most of my meal preps in an instant pot, but I am getting really bored with that.  Do you have any suggestions for throwing together quick meals when you're post-workout hungry?  Also, do any of you take vitamins? 

• Moderators

@Dr. Science Squirrel it's pretty normal for workouts to be not great for a week or two when you start whole30. Your body is switching from primarily burning easy to access carbs, to burning fat more easily. (A little more about that here:   https://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/). If you check out the meal template, you'll notice that pre-workout is recommended to be protein and/or fat, not carbs -- while you're getting used to this your workouts will probably not be great, but it helps get you to the point where you're fat adapted, and then your workouts will get back to normal.

For immediately post workout, keep some chicken or hard boiled eggs ready so you can grab a few bites of protein, and then prepare your meal. (More on post-wo food here:  http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/). 

For easy meals, you might like sheet pan dinners. Season or marinate your meat beforehand, maybe even go ahead and chop the vegetables beforehand and have everything in the fridge ready to go, then just preheat the oven, put everything on a baking sheet, and cook. Google whole30 sheet pan dinners for a ton of different recipes.

I think Day 11 on a Friday night is definitely the equivalent to a mid point of a marathon.  Day 11 & 12 were definitely the hardest days the first time around.  When I did a Whole30 last year I started feeling extra energy around Day 15.  This past year I have eaten pretty well at home and when I ate out I chose whatever sounded good (sometimes healthy, sometimes not).  I pretty much followed the Food Freedom rules and if I deemed whatever I wanted (usually wine, chocolate, street tacos, Thai food or Korean BBQ) was worth it, I enjoyed it. 

This time around I had my junk food dreams right away and felt the Tiger Blood by Day 5.  I think the most important aspect of Whole30 is the reintroduction phase afterwards so you can really see how & what different foods affect you.  I found out that wheat was giving eczema for my whole life, sugar makes me break out and too much alcohol zaps my energy & dries out my skin.  You definitely don't sound whiny and I am sure a lot of people feel the same way at this point.

Archived