Help with beef bone broth - it didn't 'set'

Hokie87

I'm new. I start today. I've been prepping all week. Note I am an unqualified disaster in the kitchen. I truly mess up just boiling an egg. I thought I was following the recipe for bone broth. But it tastes like mildly flavored water and it never got the 'meat Jell-O' consistency. I thought I simmered it for 12+ hours, but maybe I didn't have the heat high enough.
Can it be saved? Should I use it in recipes, or chuck it all and try again?

• Administrators

You can still use it. My guess is you had too much water vs how many bones. If you simmered it (ie, tiny slow bubbles) then the heat was enough. You could try adding more bones, a shot of acid like apple cider vinegar and some onion and celery and let it simmer again.

Thank you. I had already thrown out the bones and solids. (I didn't taste it until the next day, after I had cooled it and skimmed the fat.) We got more bones, so I can try again, and use the broth I have instead of adding regular water.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Granny said:

The entire crock pot was filled with bones. I used the vinegar. I cook it 72 hours in my crock pot on low

You can try shortening your cooking time - I noticed when I did the really long ones, the gelatin seemed to break down a bit and the broth wouldn't set. Try 24 or 36 hours and see if that works for you.

Archived