Whole30 take 2

eheinrich

Today starts day one of take 2. Last time was mostly successful, I was in great shape at the end - started the gym a few months before whole30 noticed huge differences once I started changing my eating habits - I struggled with the no alcohol provision, slipped up a few times. I just turned 50 this summer, have a history of breast cancer and depression. I'm hoping to make healthy lifestyle changes that will help me manage all of that. 

I started prepping yesterday. I teach Kindergarten and go to the gym after work, out of the house from 7am until 6 or so. This means I can be lazy at dinner cooking time so I made a big batch of stew for the freezer as well as a sausage & veggie breakfast hash that will feed me breakfast for a few days (top w fried egg & some avocado).  Keeping prepped food in the freezer is often a life saver! Also made veg stock from veg scraps I have been saving in the freezer.  Today I'm making chili for the freezer. I have meals planned for the next many days - took stock of my fridge/freezer and am planning around that. Just need to pick up a few things today.

Here's what the plan is so far for this week. Since I am cooking for 1, these are dinners then next day lunches. 

Thai chicken soup: page 352 Whole30 cookbook but with spinach added

Steak with roasted veggies (brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)

Roasted chicken stuffed with lemon & garlic: served w/ roasted veggies (chicken carcass will be used for bone broth)

Chicken & steak will be put atop salad for lunches - I need to make some dressing.

Off to the gym. I go to Orange Theory 3+ times a week. I'm shooting for being consistent with that.  I've slacked the last few months.

Good luck everyone 

• Moderators

HI, @eheinrich -- Welcome to Whole30. I just wanted to mention that since you have a history of depression, it's probably a good idea to have at least a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day -- like potato, sweet potato, turnips, beets, carrots, or other root vegetables, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash, or plantains. Going too low carb sometimes seems to depression or anxiety symptoms getting worse in people who are prone to them. Also, especially if you start feeling down, check out foods that help boost serotonin levels, like turkey, salmon, spinach, and eggs. And obviously, if you start feeling down and you can't seem to shake that feeling, please talk to your doctor or therapist for advice. 

5 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

HI, @eheinrich -- Welcome to Whole30. I just wanted to mention that since you have a history of depression, it's probably a good idea to have at least a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day -- like potato, sweet potato, turnips, beets, carrots, or other root vegetables, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash, or plantains. Going too low carb sometimes seems to depression or anxiety symptoms getting worse in people who are prone to them. Also, especially if you start feeling down, check out foods that help boost serotonin levels, like turkey, salmon, spinach, and eggs. And obviously, if you start feeling down and you can't seem to shake that feeling, please talk to your doctor or therapist for advice. 

Thanks for the advice. I do HIT training 3-4xs a week so last time I did add starchy veggies. I didn't have any issues, but I will definitely be aware.

Trying to plan dinner out with a friend I haven't seen in awhile. She's vegan. I feel weird being the one with food restrictions, but at least she gets it. I'm off work right now so I've got plans to meet up w/ 4 different friends between now and Sunday. My eating and drinking buddies....threw myself into the fire - but I'm up for the challenge.

Archived