Telling your parents... as a teen

LuluSlider

I'm a teen and still considering going on Whole30... But I'm not sure how to tell my Dad. My entire family is struggling with weight and health right now, and he wants me to focus on eating healthier, not losing weight. I have always had trouble sleeping and had stomach problems. Now I'm getting random muscle cramps throughout the day. That's why I want to do whole30, so I can eat better and feel better. But I'm worried that my Dad will misinterpret that as an excuse for wanting to lose weight. What should I do?

• Moderators
5 hours ago, LuluSlider said:

I'm a teen and still considering going on Whole30... But I'm not sure how to tell my Dad. My entire family is struggling with weight and health right now, and he wants me to focus on eating healthier, not losing weight. I have always had trouble sleeping and had stomach problems. Now I'm getting random muscle cramps throughout the day. That's why I want to do whole30, so I can eat better and feel better. But I'm worried that my Dad will misinterpret that as an excuse for wanting to lose weight. What should I do?

Its very commendable that you're looking to do this program on your own!  Maybe your family wants to get involved?  I think it will become very obvious that you're not doing this to lose weight when you're not counting calories or weighing food or obsessing about the scale etc... eating full plates of real food isn't exactly the image of a weightloss diet, which as you know, this is not... maybe you could come up with a list of things that are a little more detailed than 'feel better' so you can share those with your family?

Maybe your dad would like to sit with you and go through some of the testimonials on the Whole30 (the link is at the top of this page) and then he'll see that it's not about weight loss for most people altho it is sometimes a benefit.

I think you can frame it to your dad exactly as you've written it here. Tell him that you want to feel better and you've found this Whole30 thing that has helped a lot of people figure out if there are certain foods their bodies can't tolerate. Don't even mention weight loss as a remote possibility. Talk to him about how it's designed to include lots of good foods and healthy fats (which are important for brain development!). If he asks about portions or counting calories, you can honestly tell him that there's no counting calories or restricting portion sizes. Get the book from the library (if you haven't purchased it yourself) and you can go over it together. 

I hope that he gets on board with you and you're able to start sorting out how to feel better. I learned from my first Whole30 that I can't tolerate legumes and it has been life-changing. 

Archived