Jess' January Whole30 with Recipes (my 4th January Whole30!)

MamaJ

Day 22 Meal 1

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with green onions, salt and pepper

Day 22 Meal 2

Spinach and salad mix with 2 hard boiled eggs, green onions, prosciutto and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing

Day 22 Meal 3

Loaded chicken casserole (recipe below)

Loaded chicken casserole:

http://www.justjessieb.com/2017/11/loaded-chicken-potato-casserole-paleo.html  (we omitted bacon and added 2 leeks instead---it was SO good this way, even better than with the bacon, in my opinion!...but see Day 21. We really like onions and varietals of onions)

Day 23 Meal 1

Day 23 Meal 2

Spinach and salad mix with 2 hard boiled eggs, green onions, and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing

Day 23 Meal 3

Loaded chicken casserole (recipe below) 

Loaded chicken casserole:

http://www.justjessieb.com/2017/11/loaded-chicken-potato-casserole-paleo.html  (we omitted bacon and added 2 leeks instead---it was SO good this way, even better than with the bacon, in my opinion!...but see Day 21. We really like onions and varietals of onions)

I do choose to eat a lot of the same foods, I am a creature of habit. I also find it easier mentally to meal plan the same meals. If I am feeling tired of a certain flavor, I just add tea in and that completely satisfies me. Obviously, figure out what works best for you.

And because I hadn't stated it before: I always abstain from fruit during my January Whole30s. I find it to be a good way to keep my sugar dragon under control and receive a complete reset.

25 minutes ago, MamaJ said:

And because I hadn't stated it before: I always abstain from fruit during my January Whole30s. I find it to be a good way to keep my sugar dragon under control and receive a complete reset.

You are a strong person. I love my fruit and it's been hard even keeping it under three servings!

On 1/24/2019 at 9:28 AM, megbeveridge said:

You are a strong person. I love my fruit and it's been hard even keeping it under three servings!

Haha, crazy, yes. Strong? Welllll. There's a reason I need to abstain each January ;) But I always make sure I'm accustomed to fruit for the summer season here in Michigan so I can gobble some blueberries and strawberries as I pick them!

Day 24 Meal 1

Day 24 Meal 2

Spinach and salad mix with 2 hard boiled eggs, green onions, and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing

Day 24 Meal 3

Hearty vegetable soup (recipe below)

Extras: organic peppermint tea

Hearty vegetable soup:

https://www.iheartnaptime.net/hearty-vegetable-soup/

Day 25 Meal 1

Day 25 Meal 2

Spinach and salad mix with 2 hard boiled eggs, green onions, garlic and herb tuna and Primal Kitchen mayo

Day 25 Meal 3

Aidell's chicken and apple sausages, golden BBQ sauce from Primal Kitchen, roasted potatoes and Primal Kitchen ketchup

Day 26 Meal 1

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with onion powder, salt and pepper

Day 26 Meal 2

Spinach and salad mix with 2 hard boiled eggs, turkey bacon, green onions, garlic and herb tuna and Primal Kitchen Golden BBQ sauce (I really do not recommend putting this sauce on a salad as a dressing; it seemed like a good idea at the time, and it was edible, but I will NOT be doing that again) 

Day 26 Meal 3

Spinach and salad mix with 2 hard boiled eggs, turkey bacon, green onions, golden raisins and Primal Kitchen Vegan Ranch 

Extras: Kombucha, Teapigs chai tea with French Vanilla Nutpods creamer

Day 27 Meal 1

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with green onions, salt and pepper, turkey bacon

Day 27 Meal 2

Great Value Butter Chicken freezer meal, banana (I broke my fruit fast. I enjoyed the banana. I don't know if I will eat fruit every day. It wasn't triggering, but it wasn't as satisfying as I believed it would be.)

Day 27 Meal 3

Buffalo chicken tenders with Primal Kitchen Golden BBQ sauce (recipe below), roasted potatoes with Primal Kitchen ketchup

Extras: Teapigs chai tea with French Vanilla Nutpods creamer

Buffalo chicken tenders:

https://blog.paleohacks.com/buffalo-chicken-tenders/

Day 28 Meal 1

Day 28 Meal 2

Spinach and salad mix with green onions, garlic and herb tuna, 2 hard-boiled eggs and Primal Kitchen mayo

Day 28 Meal 3

Burger patties with mustard and onions, roasted potatoes with Primal Kitchen ketchup

Day 29 Meal 1

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with green onions, salt and pepper, turkey bacon

Day 29 Meal 2

Spinach and salad mix with green onions, turkey bacon, 2 hard-boiled eggs and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing

Day 29 Meal 3

Plain chicken with Primal Kitchen Golden BBQ sauce, crispy red potatoes (recipe below), banana

Crispy red potatoes:

http://therealfoodrds.com/crispy-garlic-ranch-roasted-potatoes/

Day 30 Meal 1

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with green onions, salt and pepper, half a red potato

Day 30 Meal 2

Spinach and salad mix with green onions, 2 hard-boiled eggs, avocado and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing

Day 30 Meal 3

Spinach and salad mix with green onions, taco meat and avocado, roasted potatoes with Primal Kitchen ketchup

We made it to Day 30! I'll still be sharing at least through February 12ish as I re-introduce foods. Day 31 (today) I'm introducing legumes!

Thank you for your pep!!!

Legumes Day

Day 31 Meal 1:

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with green onions, salt and pepper, banana with Rx peanut butter

My stomach hurt instantly after finishing the banana and peanut butter. Super disappointing. I then had an urge to have a bowel movement all morning, but it was an urge where I knew nothing was going to happen (plus, not my regular time for such matters). It was really uncomfortable.

Day 31 Meal 2:

2 hard-boiled eggs, baby carrots with hummus

The hummus did nothing to my body. But it also tasted like nothing (store-bought - probably my first mistake) and it wasn't worth it. I ate until I was satisfied in my fullness of my belly, then brought the rest home from work for my husband. Meh.

Day 31 Meal 3:

Hearty vegetable soup

I don't love legumes. Peanut butter is basically the extent of it. Plus, beans are hard on me. This is my 4th annual January Whole30, but somewhere around my eighth total round. Through basically eliminating most legumes from my life for the past 3 years, I've learned when I do eat beans, it's not good. I had zero desire to eat them today and planned on not. I'm looking forward to eating W30 for the next two days.

Sunday is non-gluten grains today and I'm excited to try rice! Though in the interest of full disclosure, I don't love rice. Or grains. I mean, I like cupcakes. But not quinoa, rice, all that. So we'll see! Haha.

Day 33 Meal 1:

2 hard-boiled eggs, mandarin

Day 33 Meal 2:

Great Value Harvest Chicken freezer meal

Day 33 Meal 3:

Rotisserie chicken, roasted potatoes with Primal Kitchen ketchup

Extras: Kombucha

Non-Gluten Grains Day

Day 34 Meal 1:

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with green onions, salt and pepper, Never Any bacon (contains sugar, but for cost purposes, we'll be using this bacon while not on a strict round)

Day 34 Meal 2:

Chicken rice soup (recipe below)

Day 34 Meal 3:

Beef and broccoli with rice (recipe below)

Extras: organic chai tea with French Vanilla Nutpods creamer

For the sake of pure re-introduction, don't introduce sugar and another item on the same day. But my local store who carries Applegate bacon has been out of it for weeks. So I bought the Aldi Never Any bacon which is W30 minus sugar (so not W30, but you see what I'm saying).

All that to say, the rice didn't bother me at all. I was surprised because I don't like non-gluten grains. Rice never brings me joy. Lunch was just meh for me. It tasted really healthy and frugal so I appreciate it for that. Dinner was amazing, but the beef and broccoli is W30 (and so stinking good... we triple it and every time, my daughter eats so much of it. We don't get to eat leftovers because she wants it all, lol). I actually preferred eating the meal with rice over cauliflower rice. So that was interesting and unexpected.

Back to W30 for 2 days, then on to dairy! I love dairy but it doesn't generally love me. I'm excited to re-introduce it this way and see how it affects me.

Chicken rice soup:

I can't find the recipe anymore. I fail. It was a simple chicken, veggie, and rice recipe. Sorry :(

Beef and broccoli:

https://iheartumami.com/paleo-beef-with-broccoli/

Day 35 Meal 1:

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with green onions, salt and pepper, Never Any bacon

Day 35 Meal 2:

Spinach and salad mix with 2 hard-boiled eggs, shredded chicken, avocado, green onions and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing

Day 35 Meal 3:

Hearty vegetable soup

Extras: Cranberry raspberry juice with sparkling water, coconut date rolls, apple nachos (apple slices, almond butter, raisins, sliced almonds)

The extras are because the first Monday of the month is mama group. Another mama and I planned the meeting, including the snacks so we brought W30 ingredient compliant snacks. I really enjoyed there was food I chose to partake in, but I did have a huge headache. Part of that is definitely from the sugar in fruit; another part is that mama group night is a really late night. I get off work at 5, I came home, eat dinner, we get ready to go (my husband works at our church in the nursery so we ALL go to mama group night), and we don't get home again until 9.

Suffice it to say... it was too much. I don't normally eat after dinner anyway and then all I ate essentially was sugar. Natural sugar, but still. Meh.

Hearty vegetable soup:

https://www.iheartnaptime.net/hearty-vegetable-soup/

Day 36 Meal 1:

3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with green onions, salt and pepper, Never Any bacon

Day 36 Meal 2:

Spinach and salad mix with 2 hard-boiled eggs, shredded chicken, avocado, green onions and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing, coconut date roll

Day 36 Meal 3:

Burger patties with mustard and onions, roasted potatoes with Primal Kitchen ketchup, apple slices with almond butter, raisins, sliced almonds

Extras: Teapigs chai tea with French Vanilla Nutpod creamer

Dairy Day

Day 37 Meal 1:

Day 37 Meal 2:

2 hard-boiled eggs, cottage cheese

Day 37 Meal 3:

Spinach and salad mix with avocado, green onions, cheddar cheese, sour cream and taco meat, apple slices with almond butter, raisins, sliced almonds

Dairy has never been a great friend of mine. Dinner was fine and didn't appear to affect me at all. But I noticed it at lunch big-time. It was very uncomfortable in my stomach.

My husband noticed a HUGE difference with dairy being added back in (and he's one who happily does W30 but doesn't believe he has any issues with "normal" American food). He said he was really going to limit how much dairy he eats going forward. He spent a lot of time yesterday in the bathroom.

Day 38:

I went off track with my re-introduction plans. I like that Melissa Urban always says to ask why.

So here's my why (but also no excuses).

I typically eat exactly at 5:15 PM. I arrived home at 5:15 and dinner was not even close to done (it ended up being done at 6 PM. This was not anything my husband may have prevented).

I had worked out twice earlier in the day, and I was. SO. Hungry.

My husband had made delicious non-compliant food with my kids for their dinner.

I chose to eat non-compliant food.

Thankfully, I didn't just binge eat all night. I stopped eating by 6 PM and my stomach hurt a bit from the non-compliant food.

Day 39 - back to W30 before I introduce grains!

Progress is progress and no W30 is perfect.

Love and peace.

I've been pretty off track with my reintro too. I think my "why"s are that it's my first time doing it and my Whole30 was really rough. Like you said, not an excuse, but I think if I'd felt better during the process I would be better at sticking to my reintroduction plan. That said, I think I'm feeling much better by adding the little bit of non-compliant food that I eat, but not going overboard. Hopefully you'll feel better today after the non-compliant food settles a little!

Yes! I'm now in my "practicing food freedom forever" phase. It's all going well so far, and I'm definitely limiting certain foods. Today, I ate my normal salad-y lunch and had a deconstructed pb and j (strawberries with compliant almond butter). That was a nice treat! I'll have chicken and rice soup for dinner. So I'm definitely attempting to loosen the reins a bit to enjoy food but also not harm my body.

Archived