W30 #2 (after flu)

Meco

Hi everyone, 

I'm beginning the January Whole 30 today. However, I was sick with the flu (vomiting/diarrhea) on Dec 31. I was unable to eat anything on Dec 31 or January 1st, except, I did have some ginger ale, sprite, crackers, and a cup of soup. So, after two days with not much eating and a sore stomach I'm already feeling low energy. I did manage to have some eggs with salsa this morning for breakfast. 

Does anyone have any insight to how this might affect my body and W30? Obviously I want to take care of my body after being sick, and I think the W30 will be fine. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks. 

Day 1: Today was, in the W30 sense, "easy." I had a mild craving for chocolate after dinner (as has been my habit). I went grocery shopping, meal planned, and meal prepped. And I notified my roommate ("Hey, just an FYI, I'm doing this thing, I might be off my rocker for the next 30 days"). 

I'm coming off the flu, and still battling quite a bit of nausea throughout the day which means I don't have much of an appetite. I realize that my portions were small today, and something I will work on in the coming days is ensuring my meals are big enough. 

Here were my meals: B: 2 eggs, salsa, coconut milk. L: Pistachios, Clementine, slice of deli chicken, tea. D: Chili with sweet potatoes, carrots, guac. 

This is my second W30. I did my first W30 a few years ago, jointly with a roommate. It went well! It was hard, I had a few emotional breakdowns, I was so proud of myself, I lost 9 pounds, I looked leaner and felt more confident, people commented that my skin was glowing, I was less tired, I had more energy, I felt happier, I felt more in control of food, I was no longer binging on cookies, and my sleep was more restful! All that. Is why I'm doing W30 #2. Additionally, I have recently had more GI distress and have trialed dairy elimination, probiotics, and fiber - each with mild benefit. 

I'm looking forward to this! 

• Moderators

It's understandable that you're not going to eat as much while you're still feeling nauseous -- good for you for getting started anyway!

Maybe try some soup and see if that's a little easier to eat until you're feeling better. And sipping peppermint or ginger tea (hot or iced, whichever sounds better to you) might help.

Day 2: Today, I woke up feeling awesome! I had an appetite, and very minimal nausea. I think my "hangover" was combined with the flu, because being sick, it felt like I had a hangover for the past 3 days. So here's hoping I skip the W30 hangover! 

B: 2 eggs with guac and salsa, sausage, strawberries and raspberries, coffee. L: Lettuce wrap chicken, olives, grapes, sweet potatoes, la croix. D: sweet potato chili

I've noticed the things that taste the BEST are berries, grapes, and La Croix. Things that are light, crisp, and slightly sweet. I've had a hard time finishing things that are too salty, too flavorful, or too heavy. I imagine this is from eating more "whole" foods, which naturally taste better - meaning processed foods don't taste as good to my body. I'm surprised this is happening already! 

Day 3: Still battling mild nausea throughout the day, and more trips to the bathroom than normal...I found out that family I was with over the holidays ALSO got the same flu/GI bug that I had - and some people are still on the mend. So I'm attributing my sore stomach mostly to that, although it's probably also due to dietary changes. Right? I was also very tired/lethargic this afternoon and couldn't figure out why. Then I thought, "Oh yeah, the hangover..."

B: banana, almond butter, coconut milk smoothie (are smoothies off limits?), L: chicken lettuce wrap, grapes, sweet potatoes, berries, la croix, S: 2 clementies, D: Pork chop, mashed potatoes, and olives. 

Sleep has been interesting. I have had trouble falling asleep the past 2 nights, and I did not sleep well after Day 1. Last night, however, I woke up without an alarm and feeling well rested. Interesting!

Day 4 Thoughts:  Thankfully I wasn't in the "Kill all things" mood, as suggested, But I'm bracing myself in case I get there later! I did feel slightly "hungover" this morning with some GI distress as well. I was tired after lunch and developed a headache, however, the headache is normal for me and my cycle. After lunch, I felt great for the rest of the day!

B: Scrambled eggs with chicken, banana and raspberries. L: lettuce wrap chicken sandwich with avocado. S; 1/2 a banana and 2 clementines. D: pork chop, potato latkes, pepper mushroom stir fry.

Day 5

A great day! No discernible "hangover" or "kill all things." I actually feel really great - mind, body, and soul. I'm enjoying my meals, and am becoming more attuned to my appetite and hunger signals. I did have a craving for chocolate this afternoon... Also, I was at a gathering this evening where wine was being served. I obviously didn't have a glass, and didn't miss it at all!

B: Leftover potato latkes, banana, raspberries S: Plantain chips,  L: Sweet potato chili, beef stick S: Cutie, D: Leftover latkes, beef stick, carrots and guac, vegetable chips. *Low on veggies today, will try to improve veggies tomorrow

Day 8

I've been craving sweets and non compliant foods late in the afternoons...I've been making it through with tea, sparkling water, sweet potato chips, or almond butter. I'm not sure this is compliant or not, but it's getting me through. I like my meals, though! I've been experiencing some tiredness and bloating. I'm hoping that goes away soon! I've been sleeping well - falling asleep faster and sleeping deeper. It's nice!

Bad news bad news bad news....

I slipped! I cheated! I ate a few pieces of chocolate!!! I was craving it after dinner, and I just received a box of chocolates as a belated Christmas gift yesterday. I put them, unwrapped, on the top shelf of a cupboard. But knowing they were there...I guess the temptation was too much. 

I know W30 is all about tough love, and I fully take ownership of the choice I made to put the chocolate in my mouth (sadly, I didn't fall and my face didn't land in chocolate). 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Meco said:

sweet potato chips, or almond butter.

Rather than snacking on these things, if you are consistently hungry every day, you may need bigger meals. And this can vary from day to day or week to week -- if you're hungrier than normal, that's okay, eat bigger meals, eat an extra meal -- this can be a hormonal thing, or a stress thing, or maybe you were more active for a day or two and your body needs more fuel, or maybe you can't really tell why but you know you're super hungry, whatever, the why part doesn't necessarily matter, just accept that sometimes you need more food and that is okay.

If you do need to eat between meals sometimes, still try to have a combination of protein, fat, and vegetables. If you don't need a full meal, that's fine, have just a little bit of leftovers, or an egg and some veggies with a little mayo or guacamole. 

(And don't keep the chocolate around when you restart. Give it to a friend, or throw it away. You don't have to keep it, you don't have to eat it. It was a lovely gift, thank the person who sent it for thinking of you -- but you don't have to eat the chocolate to appreciate the gift.)

Day 1 (Restart!) 1/16

Today I restarted the Whole 30.  I "slipped" by eating chocolate and ice cream. I made it to day 8 compliant, and since then I've been half-assing the W30 for a few days (compliant meals, but indulging in chocolate). My sugar dragon is real! However, I'm so motivated to overcome this sugar dragon. That's why I'm restarting the Whole 30 instead of throwing in the towel (believe me, a part of me wanted to throw in the towel.)

Goals, hopes, motivation:

• 1. Overcome sugar dragon, cravings, and overindulging with sweets
  • 2. Improve sleep quality, boost energy in afternoons/evenings
  • 3. Feel more confident, toned, take steps to reaching my target weight (Goal: 130#, Current: 143#, Started: 155#)
  • 4. Lessen acne breakouts
  • 5. Manage IBS and lactose intolerance, reset digestive system, learn from the reintroduction
  • 6. Continue to walk after work each day, recommit to yoga sculpt 2x per week, running 1x per week, and yoga 1x per week 

Since I've already done nearly 15 days of Whole 30 meals, I'm not worried about grocery shopping, cooking, or meal prep. I enjoy my meals and have plenty of options! I'm also thinking I won't feel the effects as much, since I started to detox in the first 8 days on my first try. I do, however, know what my weaknesses are (chocolate dish at work, family get-togethers, late night snacking),  I expect the sugar dragon to pop up often, and I do expect to want to "cheat." I'm reaching out the community here and reading blogs for inspiration!

Here were my meals today: B: Rx bar (oops, was on the go), L: sesame chicken salad, clementines, sweet potato chips, la croix, S: cashews, cherries, strawberries, D: thai coconut curry soup, fresh veggies with nut butter, la croix. 

Cheers to the Whole 30! And being done on February 14th, looking forward to wine and chocolate (those are two foods that I know I will always love :) - not in the spirit of W30, but it motivates me). 

Congrats on acknowledging your goals, and restarting - I think restarting is even harder than starting, so well done to you! You seem to have a good handle on your strengths and weaknesses so I'm sure you'll be successful.  I too, am motivated to be done by February 14 :). 

Restart, Day 2

Now that I've recommitted, I've regained that W30 strength - saying no to cravings, holding fast to your commitments. Today was a great day! I overslept my alarm this morning by ONE HOUR! Major oops! Luckily I managed only being 15 minutes late to work. I was definitely tired and hungry after work in the afternoon from 3-5ish. Went to a great yoga class in the evening that really helped quell any anxiety about this. 

B: Rx bar (again, on the go, oops), L: Sesame chicken salad, carrots and cucumbers, cashews and dried cherries, clementine. S: sweet potato chips and guac, nut butter. D: thai coconut soup, chicken breast, olives (eating up leftovers!)

I'm ready for day 3!

Restart, Day 3

Today went well! I realized that I have relatively few temptations throughout the day, now that my cupboards are cleaned out. I'm hoping I'll become more content right after a meal - which is when I crave something sweet. I have a 3 day weekend ahead of me - which means plenty of time for meal prep, cooking and exercise.

Archived