salsasis14

Meds/Vitamins?

Recommended Posts

I'm on day 1 of my second W30 and just realized my vitamin D pill has safflower oil and my vitamin B has cornstarch!  While nether is medically required, I definitely would prefer not to go off them if I don't have to.  What should I do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The safflower oil is not ideal, but it is technically compliant -- here's what the Can I Have guide says about that:

Quote

 

Safflower/Sunflower Oil: Yes

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.  Ideally, you’re using high-oleic saafflower or sunflower oil; these actually have a pretty favorable fat profile,  similar to extra-virgin olive oil.

 

So for that one, it's okay to keep taking it.

The cornstarch is definitely not compliant. You could look for a version of Vitamin B that is compliant -- there are probably some out there, though if you don't find any in a store near you, you may have to order online. Or you could just skip that one for 30 days. You are an adult, you could choose to keep taking it if you believe it's more important to take it than to be 100% compliant -- it may or may not make any difference in the results you see during your Whole30. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I have a question which relates to the vitamin situation. Today is Day 8 for me. I just discovered last night my gummy vitamin is "lightly dusted with rice flour". While I am guessing this is not technically complaint, is it necessary for me to restart from day 1? I spent about a month searching for a gummy multivitamin which was sugar  and sweetener free; as far as I can tell this is the only one available on the market. 

I was going to stop my vitamin until the end on the end of my 30 days but my husband wants me to rinse the outside of the vitamin and to continue to take them. I am on the vitamins due to vitamin deficiency. I finally found a D3 without any sweeteners of any kind. I still have not been able to find a calcium I can tolerate. The one I was taking was loaded with sugar (OF COURSE). The calcium I am taking now is a liquid and it makes me vomit.

I have attached a copy of the multivitamin so you can see some of the ingredients, what is the verdict on the rice flour.

vitamins.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lissa Kristine said:

SmartyPants Adult Gummies with Fiber (ONLY this variety) seem to be compliant based on ingredients, but I can't help thinking that gummy vitamins may be SWYPO.

They're not... unless you're eating a bowlful of them while watching TV... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm getting ready to start a Whole30 in a few weeks, but there's one thing that I haven't been able to figure out:

What do I take if I get sick?

Normally, I try to combat things like mild coughs/colds (it is flu season after all) with quick disolve elderberry tablets, Maty's or Zarabees cough syrups,and Zarabees losenges (usually only in places like church where I don't want my coughing to disturb anyone. These are all drug-free , but sweetened with honey or sugar. 

I do try to drink extra Kombucha (GT's brand which is compliant) and I have no issues with eating soup made of bone broth, meat, veggies, and plenty of garlic and tumeric, but what do I do if that's not enough and I need to take medicine. It was hard enough to find cough/cold medicine that doesn't contain artificial sweeteners or alcohol. 

My normal approach to getting a cold (which tends to happen monthly around my time of the month) is:

1. Kombucha
2. Soup (when it's cold... I can't do soup in the summertime)
3. "Natural" medicines- mainly when I need to function. I'll take a single cough drop during church so I don't disturb others, but that's it.
4. Popsicles (frozen juice) to soothe a sore throat.
 

What do I do when I can't have numbers 3 (not made of compliant ingredients) and 4 (SWYPO?)

And what about painkillers? I haven't been able to find a single pill (Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, etc) that does not contain artificial sweeteners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

They're not... unless you're eating a bowlful of them while watching TV... 

Interesting... I would've thought that gummy vitamins would be considered SWYPO. After all, I was told that I can't take 100% apple juice and freeze it into popsicles to soothe a sore throat because that's SWYPO even though there are no actual medications in existence that contain 100% compliant ingredients. 

Why is a gummy ok when used as a vitamin and not candy, but frozen juice isn't allowed when used as medication and not as a dessert?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lissa Kristine said:

Interesting... I would've thought that gummy vitamins would be considered SWYPO. After all, I was told that I can't take 100% apple juice and freeze it into popsicles to soothe a sore throat because that's SWYPO even though there are no actual medications in existence that contain 100% compliant ingredients. 

Why is a gummy ok when used as a vitamin and not candy, but frozen juice isn't allowed when used as medication and not as a dessert?

There are better options for a sore throat than popsicles. Have a glass of ice water or some Throat Coat tea or some bone broth. There's also a certain amount of planning that has to go into those popsicles..."I have a sore throat *now* so let me put some apple juice into the freezer so I have have something to soothe it in 8 hours once it's frozen".

Your body also isn't getting a big hit of nothing but sugar when you eat two gummy vitamins (because, let's remember, that if there was sugar in the vitamin, it would be non-compliant). If your body's fighting off something which results in a sore throat, it also doesn't need to deal with blood sugar spikes and crashes from the sugar in juice since there's no fat or fiber to slow down the digestion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lissa Kristine

Fruit juice is allowed (if ingredients are compliant), if not recommended.

Check out: https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

 

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice is technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

@Lissa Kristine

Fruit juice is allowed (if ingredients are compliant), if not recommended.

Check out: https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

 

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice is technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

I know fruit juice is allowed. But apparently popsicles when used to soothe a sore throat  are not allowed.

 

 

39 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

@Lissa Kristine

Fruit juice is allowed (if ingredients are compliant), if not recommended.

Check out: https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

 

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice is technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

 

3 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

There are better options for a sore throat than popsicles. Have a glass of ice water or some Throat Coat tea or some bone broth. There's also a certain amount of planning that has to go into those popsicles..."I have a sore throat *now* so let me put some apple juice into the freezer so I have have something to soothe it in 8 hours once it's frozen".

Your body also isn't getting a big hit of nothing but sugar when you eat two gummy vitamins (because, let's remember, that if there was sugar in the vitamin, it would be non-compliant). If your body's fighting off something which results in a sore throat, it also doesn't need to deal with blood sugar spikes and crashes from the sugar in juice since there's no fat or fiber to slow down the digestion. 

How about the fact that I tend to get a cold/sore throat once a month? Around that time of the month, I'll prepare. There are times when it HURTS to swallow. That's when I like having something like a frozen fruit juice popsicle, but fine. 

Hot liquids like tea or soup are not soothing, so I'll continue to leave them out.
There's a difference between slowly eating a popsicle and trying to swallow a mouthful of water.

No medicines allowed. I can't take most cough/cold medicines so I usually go for natural remedies. Those all have honey, so I can't have those.

So, if I get sick, I can't take anything for it. Good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Lissa Kristine said:

I know fruit juice is allowed. But apparently popsicles when used to soothe a sore throat  are not allowed.

 

 

 

How about the fact that I tend to get a cold/sore throat once a month? Around that time of the month, I'll prepare. There are times when it HURTS to swallow. That's when I like having something like a frozen fruit juice popsicle, but fine. 

Hot liquids like tea or soup are not soothing, so I'll continue to leave them out.
There's a difference between slowly eating a popsicle and trying to swallow a mouthful of water.

No medicines allowed. I can't take most cough/cold medicines so I usually go for natural remedies. Those all have honey, so I can't have those.

So, if I get sick, I can't take anything for it. Good to know.

You could try the Throat Coat Tea steeped and then cooled?  Gargle with warm salt water? That's an ancient remedy for relief.  You could try making a ginger and lemon brewed tea and freeze that?  How about making a 'popsicle' with 7/8 water and 1/8 fruit juice? We do say you can use fruit juice as a splash to flavor water so that would work.

There is also anecdotal evidence that sugar will make a sore throat worse so full strength juice might not be your best bet but at the end of the day, you're an adult and you can make a decision around a technically compliant popsicle for a sore throat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Painkillers are OK, being in pain is not the point: 

For some cold/flu strategies that are Whole30: https://whole30.com/2017/10/cold-flu/

But note it says:

*Many over-the-counter cold and flu remedies (like zinc lozenges, Airborne, or Nyquil) will contain added sugar or other non-Whole30 ingredients. Always follow your healthcare provider’s orders, even if it conflicts with Whole30 rules. (Doctors know best!) And if it’s a matter of taking the Nyquil and sleeping through the night, or sticking to the Whole30 and being miserable, well… sweet dreams. (We’re pretty sure no one sips Nyquil for the sugar hit.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now