Lib's NYC Whole30 | 30 days of Fitness

nutburger

Day 16:

Meal 1: Banana, 2 hard boiled eggs

Meal 2: Almonds,  meat stick, apple

Meal 3:  Chipotle Whole30 Bowl, more almonds

Exercise: Spin (13 miles)

Gah. Ended up with a pretty bad headache and had to take codeine last night. I usually get these headaches once a week, and I was quietly hoping that Whole30 might do away with them, but it looks like there is another cause.  I did have a cup of coffee at work and I'm wondering if the coffee they use is a trigger. That and not enough food during the day, which was a result of poor planning.

I know I've been snacking too much, but in all honesty snacking has never been an issue for me. My issue, always, is portion control. I will eat and eat until I'm bursting, so if a small piece of fruit or some nuts helps me control that beast,  then I'm not going to worry about it.  The good thing about Whole30, for me, is that while the foods are delicious, they aren't the kind that make you want to over-indulge. I mean, roasted broccoli is good, but I'm not going to go ham on it like I would a tray of Oreos. 

We've pretty much run out of any useful food, so I'm hoping to get back into the spirit of things by trying some new recipes this weekend. I bought the Whole30 Slow cooker recipe book and have yet to try a single recipe. If anyone has made anything delicious lately that they recommend, please let me know!

Day 17:

Meal 1: Two Aidells chicken and asparagus sausages sautéed with onion, with avocado, and an apple

Meal 2: Lara Bar, meat stick, roasted almonds

Meal 3:  Steak with brussel sprouts and roasted potatoes in ghee

Exercise: 4 mile walk 

Felt really tired and cranky all day. And then cranky at myself for being cranky. If anyone has any suggestions  on how to tweak my days to get more energy, I would appreciate it.   The Lara bar was an emergency because we were at Target and I was hangry, but as soon as I had it I wanted 5, which means they might be an issue for me. They're just so good.

I bought some Teapigs chai tea and it is truly delicious. I've been loving how much tea I have been drinking lately.  I get a bit jittery on coffee.

NSV I forgot to mention, a coworker told me I looked like I had lost weight.

Day 18:

Meal 1: Steak and basted eggs with EBTB seasoning, with sautéed onions 

Meal 2: A banana with almond butter (post-workout), GTs Trilogy Kombucha (pre-workout)

Meal 3:  Egg roll in a bowl

Exercise: Ropes and Rowers class

I'm proud to say I'm finally feeling better and have more energy.  I killed my workout and felt like my energy lasted pretty well throughout it. 

Still struggling to get three meals in. After such big breakfasts I'm simply not hungry for a meal-sized lunch.  I'm not going to push it, but listen to my body. 

The banana and almond butter snack felt like the most decadent treat. It was so delicious.  I was looking at the meal template, and I know it says not to have fruit after a workout, but it it awful to have a banana instead of sweet potato? I feel like they're such similar beasts.

One thing I have noticed is I'm waking up pretty hungry. I never used to eat or want breakfast until later, but now I do. I wonder if that is my metabolism kicking in! 

After dinner last night I was drinking chai tea and trying to decide if I wanted a clementine or if that was my sugar dragon talking. I decided if I didn't feel like a handful of almonds, then I probably didn't need it. That's a win from a girl who used to factor chocolate into her calories every night, without even stopping to consider if she would even feel like it. 

Day 19:

Meal 1: A giant breakfast of pork belly with basted eggs, sautéed spinach, and roasted potato

Meal 2: Banana w/ almond butter

Meal 3:  Egg roll in a bowl

Snacks: Roasted almonds, clementine

Exercise: 45 mins 'Stacked' Class

I finally got some good energy yesterday. I woke up early and cleaned our apartment and planned out my next few meals and meal prep.  I've planned to prep breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I think  it will make my week so much easier since I was prepping on the fly the first couple weeks. Work is having a potluck this week and I just hope I don't get too many inane questions.

I'm solo for the next  week or so of Whole30, which is both good and bad. It's easier in terms of less cooking, theres always leftovers, etc., but it's also less fun. I think it's way easier if you can have someone else on board with you.

PSA. the pork belly at Trader Joes is fully cooked and also just pork, and salt, if you like pork, it's a very easy thing to have on hand.

Day 20:

Meal 1:  Eggs with pork belly and sautéed spinach (pictured)

Meal 2: Red curry carrot noodle bowl from the Slow Cooker/IP book

Snack: Almonds

Exercise: None / Active Rest

I'm no food blogger but I was proud of how good my breakfast looked!

The noodle bowl was good but it wasn't great. I made it with chicken thigh instead of pork but it felt like it was missing something. Still nice and warm and packed with veggies.

Yesterday I had a rough day. Not sure if it was the freezing weather or what but I felt really nauseated and I totally passed out when I got home and missed yoga class.  I did some light stretches at home but it just wasn't in me to do anything more!

IMG_0299.JPG

Day 21:

Meal 1: Three giant Defined Dish ‘EPIC’ meatballs, over carrot noodles and a fried egg on top

Meal 2:  Andouille, spinach, and tomato egg bake with olives on the side

Snack: Apple pie lara bar, a few grapes

Exercise: An hour of dance

Those meatballs. So good. For the first time on W30 I felt uncomfortably full after eating, but I didn’t get a chance to eat until like 2pm  and was ravenous...and then I was basically full until 9pm. Kind of odd timing but I had a seminar last night and got home late. When you're eating so much protein it's amazing how full you get.

I feel good. I feel in control of my life. I spent time meal prepping (an egg bake, which is the new bagel, and the meatballs of heaven) and that has set me up for a productive week. I feel in the groove with working out. I definitely feel like I look thinner and also more defined. I don’t have any crazy energy, but I feel like I can sustain my energy through the day. Our apartment is clean. I went to dance and it made me happy.

I really want to keep going with this feeling, and don’t want it to end. However, we have a fun Valentines day event on the 15th and I know I want to have a glass of wine or two there, so I want to have my re-intro done before then so I don’t mess it up with any  alcohol-induced eating. Then, I might even do another round, or depending on how reintro goes, stick with a modified/more paleo way of life.

Day 22:

Meal 1:  Andouille and veggie egg bake 

Meal 2:  Leftover Epic meatballs with zoodles and raw capsicum

Meal 3: Defined Dish Sesame chicken and broccoli 

Snacks:  Roasted almonds

Exercise: ‘Master of One’ Class (went up a weight).

So the potluck was fine, I basically went in and admired everyone’s baking and then in a stroke of luck (?), the partner needed me to do something urgent so I had an excuse to bail and scoff my meatballs down. I wasn’t like, head over heels tempted like I usually would be. I just sort of acknowledged it was there and moved on.

I have lots of energy right now. Last night I got home at 8pm after a morning workout, a crazy day at work, an appointment after work and still had energy to make dinner. Actually I was still wide awake at like 10pm.  I have always really struggled with energy levels, I was always the one who had to go to bed super early and I would get weird anxiety about commitments after work. Maybe that sounds silly because my life isn’t actually that busy but hey, we’re all different and have a different number of spoons. 

Actually, now that I’m thinking it through, maybe this level of energy is normal and I’ve just been walking through a fog for my twenties…That’s a strangely disconcerting thought.

Day 23:

Meal 1:  Andouille and veggie egg bake 

Meal 2:  Leftover Epic meatballs with zoodles 

Meal 3: Left over sesame chicken and broccoli 

Snack: Banana with almond butter

Exercise: 45 mins Barre class

I had really weird mood swings today. Slept in a bit and decided to go to gym after work. Felt super, annoyingly happy for most of the day - super productive, clear-headed. But then got home after work and suddenly I was in a real mood. Didn't want to go to gym, felt super tired, and just generally annoyed and snappy. Had a snack and then forced myself to go do barre, which ended up being a good workout, and then I was fine after that and felt really hyper until late. Not sure if it was just me trying to talk myself out of a work out or what went on, but endorphins are real.

Day 24:

Meal 1:  Andouille and veggie egg bake with avocado

Meal 2:  Leftover Epic meatballs with zoodles and olives

Meal 3: TJ's chicken lime burger with spinach, onion, roasted potato, squash, and garlic mayo.

Snack: Prunes

Exercise: One hour yoga

I made an effort to have a fat with every meal today and I feel like I was noticeably more satiated today. The thing about W30 is that you're just consistently learning and modifying the whole time. It's pretty cool. Also, I feel like i'm eating so much.  The days I work out in the morning I'm definitely more hungry. I used to skip breakfast and then be starving and irritable at lunch but now I have my egg bake at like 10 and my lunch at 2 and it's a good deal. I'll admit, I did come home and considered having a Lara bar and banana and almond butter as my dinner, but while it's technically compliant I knew it wasn't in the spirit of things so I made something quick and I'm glad I did. However, something I ate did upset my stomach and gave me some pain and bloat, hence the prunes.  I wonder if it was the potatoes.  

Felt good today.  I honestly think I'm just more stable lately. Usually I have crazy mood swings and it's like a switch flips and I go off.  I was always very emotional and sensitive. Now I just feel happier and things don't bother me as much. 

Lots of thoughts coming about reintroduction. Days are flying!

Day 25:

Meal 1:  Apple Pie Lara Bar

Meal 2:  Cava bowl 

Meal 3: Steak and broccoli and roasted potatoes & garlic aioli 

Snack: Banana and almond butter

Exercise: One hour dance class, 45 mins gym session

Had a really good day!  Ended up going to this pop up gym put on by Aaptiv hence the double workout and quick breakfast. I got this little gym all to myself which was great because...that never happens in this city, and it had free rx bars (sadly the rx bars are the peanut butter ones, but I took one for reintro!).  Caught up with a friend and she knew what W30 was so we just had some tea in a cozy little coffee shop and then I went to Lush which was having BOGO on their Christmas leftovers and treated myself there. It's nice to have non-food rewards and nice to do social things that don't revolve around food.  Also, cool how much energy I had to be able to handle two workouts!

At the beginning of W30 we spent so much on food, buying all the specialty dressings and snacks etc that we just had to have to survive. Well last night I got some grass fed steak on sale, some potatoes, and a head of broccoli and it will make two delicious, quick meals for super cheap. 

Felt a little off after the potatoes again. May have to consider how much I eat them, which is a little sad as I'm like a hobbit with them. I know white potato used to be off limits on W30 but they changed the rules.

Day 26:

Meal 1: Steak & eggs & sautéed onions

Meal 2: Roasted potato w garlic aioli

Exercise: 45 min spin class (12 miles)

Ugh. Today was rough. After breakfast I started to feeling really sick. My stomach was churning and I felt uncomfortable and at one point nauseated. The steak was maybe too rare for me but not sure if that set if off as if it was food poisoning it wouldn't have been so sudden. I still wasn't feeling great at dinner, hence a comfort meal of potato.  I couldn't figure out if it was better to skip dinner, or to have just potato, so I chose to eat. Also, my skin had a small break out.  I was feeling so good so no idea what is going on. Maybe its hormonal? Who knows.  Trying to look at the positive - a small bowl of potato for comfort is a better choice than the chips and chocolate and bagel I could have had.

Day 27:

Meal 1: Larabar

Meal 2: Sweetgreens salad (spinach, almonds, sweet potato, chicken thigh, red onion, carrot, olive oil & vinegar) pictured.

Meal 3: TJ's lime chicken patty on sweet potato sliders with guac and steamed broccoli 

Snack: deli turkey, cashews, prunes

Exercise: None

Today was an off day.  I really lacked energy and still didn't feel great. I also felt a bit down mentally. I wanted chocolate or cake so badly and had a terrible body image day.  I honestly think I would have felt much better if I had worked out but I also felt like I needed to rest. 

On the other hand, that salad was actually amazing. I've never craved salad before. So, on a positive note, my tastebuds have changed!

IMG_0467.JPG

Day 28:

Meal 1: Two fried eggs, bacon, and  TJ’s cruciferous slaw with an EVOO/balsamic vinegar dressing

Meal 2: Cashews, Meat stick

Meal 3: Nom Nom Paleos’ Kahlua pig and cabbage

Exercise: One hour dance class

Had a really great day. Just felt happy and had plenty of energy. Did a ton of meal prep for the week – egg bake, kahlua pig, roasted vegetables and set a chicken to marinade to make NoCrumbsLeft heroine chicken on Thursday (Day 30 treat!).  I really like my new way of meal prepping – especially having something ready for breakfast so I’m not tempted by a bagel or a muffin. I’m working on ways to make it more filling though – maybe a side of sausages as well, or some avocado ? I find that I eat it around 9.30/10, and I’m hungry  by 12ish.

Not quite ready for the 30 days to be over, honestly – and I know it doesn’t have to be. Chasing that elusive balance.

Day 29:

Meal 1: Bacon, tomato and spinach egg bake

Meal 2: Leftover Kalua pig with roasted sweet potato; greens; tomato, cashews, and onion with Primal Italian dressing 

Meal 3: Cava bowl (spicy lamb, supergreens, harissa, cucumber, tomato, olives, date vinaigrette)

Snack: meat stick, cashews

Exercise: 45 mins Master of One class

Not much to say - feeling great and surviving the polar vortex.

Day 30:

Meal 1: Bacon, tomato and spinach egg bake

Meal 2: Leftover Kalua pig with roasted sweet potato; greens; tomato,  with Primal Italian dressing 

Meal 3: NoCrumbs Left Heroine Chicken with roasted sweet potato, potato, and a side of greens

Snack: meat stick, cashews, prunes

Exercise: Spin class (13.9 miles!)

Day 30! So happy to have finished my second Whole30. I lost six pounds, noticeably lost fat, and feel great. My energy and moods are much more stable. Every round I learn so much more about myself, food, and my relationship with food.

Congrats to everyone who completed their Whole30. You guys are rockstars.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:34 PM, Aliem999 said:

Just curious, what is in this? Especially if it's easy, I may want to try it out sometime!

I'm curious regarding how to make it Whole30 compliant.  What do you use as a soy sauce substitute?

• 1 month later...

Hi! I live in NYC and am doing Whole30 for the first time, so I was searching for a forum that might hit home for me. I stumbled upon your daily food "diary" and just want to say that I relate to your Whole30 situation SO much, especially the mood swings and all that. Thank you for sharing everything that you shared!!

Archived