Desperately seeking recipe for Cajun shrimp boil!!

Tamara13

Hi folks! I’m new here and not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes... I recently came across an Instagram post with a Cajun shrimp and sausage boil recipe. It was made in a sheet pan. She used asparagus (but didn’t put the Old Bay seasoning on the asparagus). She wasn’t sure how it would be without the corn, but she didn’t even miss it!! Clearly, I remember it vividly. I even bought all the ingredients I’d need to make it...but do you think I can find the post and/or recipe now??? Does someone remember seeing this? It was definitely Instagram and it was within the last week...probably even the last 3-4 days. HELP, please!!! :)

• Moderators

Instagram does not make it easy to search, so unless someone else happened to see it and saved it, I'm not sure how to find that exact recipe, short searching on a hashtag that it used and scrolling until you see it. 

However, if you've got the ingredients and remember most of the basics, you can probably find a recipe with similar ingredients to get the cooking temperature/time for it -- google something like shrimp sheet pan bake, or shrimp and sausage sheet pan bake -- the main thing that would make a difference in cooking time is denser vegetables like potatoes. If you want to put potatoes in yours, look for a recipe that has the shrimp and potatoes, in case you need to start the potatoes early or something, since shrimp shouldn't take long to cook. 

Do you use the save option on Instagram? It's handy for things like recipes you want to try, just click the little bookmark/flag looking thing at the bottom right of a picture, you can even make separate folders to keep them in. Or what I did before they had that option was screen shot them so I wouldn't lose them. 

While Old Bay is tasty in it's own right, it isn't used in South Louisiana or in Cajun cooking. Zatarain's crab boil is the characteristic seasoning found in Louisiana boiled seafood and it comes in liquid, powder and bags of the spices and is available at WalMart, Kroger and, of course, on line. The powder has sugar and MSG so would be out for W30. The liquid has artificial flavor but I don't think that's an automatic "no" unless you want it to be, right @ShannonM816? The bags are definitely OK but, obviously, require a pot a boiling water to use. If you wanted to go the sheet pan route, you could toss your shrimp and sausage in a little salt, compliant oil and add a little of the liquid (it's very concentrated) but doing a kitchen boil is pretty easy, too. Feel free to add almost any vegetable that you want to the boil after you pull out the seafood. Common additions that are really tasty are cauli, asparagus, MUSHROOMS, whole artichokes (those take about 45 minutes though) and the onions, garlic cloves and celerey sticks that are typically used to help season the water are delicious as well. Throwing in a couple of halved lemons really amps up the flavor, too.

Good luck on your recipe search!

• 11 months later...

Archived