Using coconut milk in my coffee

afalast

I am trying coconut milk in my coffee, but am finding that I use a lot just to get it to taste right! Am I compliant if I'm using like 1/4 cup of coconut milk each morning?

I can give up many things, but I can't drink coffee black. This mommy of 3 needs her caffeine in the morning!

• Moderators

You remain compliant even with a cup of coconut milk with a little coffee in it. I can drink any coffee black, but more sophisticated drinkers say that good coffee is good black. The problem with black is with bad coffee.

What kind do you drink? I might consider cutting back if it was good enough. I drink Starbucks medium breakfast blend.....

I find that lighter roasts are less appealing to me black - they tend to taste sour. I would suggest a darker roast and a strong brew for your introduction. Something with a bit of spice to add depth. I like Caribou Coffee Mahogany, Starbucks Christmas and Anniversary blends, Sbux Espresso Roast, Newman's Own Special Blend and Green Mountain Dark Magic. To name a few.

Can you tell I'm a coffee drinker?

• 5 months later...

I'm a black coffee convert, before my Whole 30 I used 2 Splenda packets and half & half. I started with coconut milk and slowly phased it out and now just drink my hot coffee black. I can definitely taste the difference in coffees and actually don't mind Starbucks breakfast blend black, but my favorite is Bay Blend from Trader Joe's, it's a dark roast.

One thing that you can do with coffee is cold brew.  The cold brew method brings out the flavor and lessons the acid and bitter notes.  As far as dark vs light roast, I agree, light roast have a weird yam-like sourness, like old tea.

You can also consider espresso, and Americana is a great choice since they are smoother and less bitter than traditional drip coffee.

I had trouble drinking coffee black too. I starting adding a bit of hot water to it. It is easier to drink. Still not a fan but doable. I now only have one cup of coffee in the morning. Which is a good thing I guess.

One thing that you can do with coffee is cold brew.  The cold brew method brings out the flavor and lessons the acid and bitter notes.  As far as dark vs light roast, I agree, light roast have a weird yam-like sourness, like old tea.

You can also consider espresso, and Americana is a great choice since they are smoother and less bitter than traditional drip coffee.

I visited Paris a few years ago. "Coffee" on the menu means espresso. "Americana" was described on one menu as "coffee with too much water."

The way to better coffee is through better preparation and better ingredients. I converted from drinking "a little coffee with my cream" to drinking black coffee by changing the way I make it and the beans I use -- French press, Aeropress, or cold brew, with local organic whole beans.

I've been making iced coffee and cold brew definitely yields a smoother result. Potent, but smoother. Pioneer Woman has a recipe on her blog for making cold brew coffee concentrate. I just make a smaller batch than she does. I may make it less concentrated now that I'm just throwing ice in it and drinking it as is. 

I have been drinking black coffee for a long time now, and agree it has a lot to do with the quality of the coffee, the roast (dark is more palatable to me) and if it's freshly ground. I prefer to drink mine iced, since for some reason this tampers down the bitterness for me. I add a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon, and it's really pretty tasty. Sometimes I'll add a splash of coconut milk too, but it depends on my mood. 

• 1 month later...

I  used to be addicted to flavored creamers in coffee, then switched to coconut milk and honey, then to coconut milk alone. I then did  black coffee for two weeks to see if I could get used to the taste. I did after the first couple of days. I did not love it the first couple of days, but after that, it was fine. Don't get me wrong, I like it doctored up with coconut milk ALOT better. Thank goodness coconut milk is allowed. I have to moderate my coconut milk intake, however, or else I will end up drinking way too much coffee. Drinking it black defintely cuts down on my desire for another, and another cup.

Archived