1st timer, starting Jan 7th!

Scootykatie

Hello!

I'm Kate from DC. I also started the program on the 7th. Days 1 and 2 went so well for me! I'm normally a healthy eater anyway (although with a pretty active sugar monster). Today, Day 3, though... holy headache! I'm exhausted, bloated, and just want to take a nap!

I'm dreading the yoga class I signed up for tonight (will I be able to stay awake???) and having to wait until 8 pm for dinner.

Good luck to you all! Looking forward to sharing in the journey!

17 hours ago, SarahMP said:

Hi emae, how are you getting on? Is the sugar still screaming at you? 

I've just begun day two and am having my first drink of the day - green tea instead of my usual, much enjoyed, fresh coffee. 

Good luck to you

Sarah

Hey SarahMP! Thanks for checking in! I don't have a crazy headache yet, but definitely can still feel the little voice in my head wanting to eat sugar. So far my biggest help has been olives and a sweet potato with vanilla bean ghee. Those two things have been my saviors, so now I need to go pick up more olives. We'll see what tomorrow brings. How has day three been for you?

17 hours ago, SarahMP said:

Hi Shannon, how are you getting on?

I hope you don't mind the question, but I'm interested that you're doing a take 2. How did you find the first time and was it helpful?

Regards Sarah

Hi Sarah.

Take/try number 2 is going quite well (at the end of the third day).

And to answer your question, I partly knew what I was doing when I was doing this for the first time. I was half meal planning half winging it (it's a part of who I am :unsure:). I had many instances of "Ehh, what the heck....let's eat this" when I was eating out, and that accumulated to the point of where I just stopped. I did see results physically (I lost over 10 lbs.) and that is motivating me to try harder this time. And I know more this time around.

Hope that answers your question!

7 hours ago, emae said:

Hey SarahMP! Thanks for checking in! I don't have a crazy headache yet, but definitely can still feel the little voice in my head wanting to eat sugar. So far my biggest help has been olives and a sweet potato with vanilla bean ghee. Those two things have been my saviors, so now I need to go pick up more olives. We'll see what tomorrow brings. How has day three been for you?

well done Emae. I'm feeling the same sugar draw too, but have also escaped the headache so far. I'm just starting day 3 and the worst thing for me has been not eating for a few hours before bed (although the books don't state how many hours is 'a few'). I used to have dinner at about 7.30 and have tried to bring that forward to 6, but can't sleep for a hungry feeling. The first day I had to get up at 1am and eat half of my prepared breakfast! On balance perhaps eating at usual time is the lesser of evils lol. 

I'm glad you've found a couple of saviours. I'm with you on the olives, but really don't like sweet potato. The recipes seem to use sweet potato a lot, but at least normal potato is allowed as a substitute. 

The things that make it easier for me are potatoes along with ghee and coconut milk/cream; they make recipes more satisfying I feel. Here's one of my previous go to recipes which is compliant and makes a good breakfast with a handful of spinach or two.

All the best to you

P23 Healthy Egg and Chips.jpg

7 hours ago, xx_firefly said:

Hi Sarah.

Take/try number 2 is going quite well (at the end of the third day).

And to answer your question, I partly knew what I was doing when I was doing this for the first time. I was half meal planning half winging it (it's a part of who I am :unsure:). I had many instances of "Ehh, what the heck....let's eat this" when I was eating out, and that accumulated to the point of where I just stopped. I did see results physically (I lost over 10 lbs.) and that is motivating me to try harder this time. And I know more this time around.

Hope that answers your question!

Thanks Shannon, I appreciate you taking the time.

I see a lot of people on the forum doing take 2 and was curious as to why they stopped after the first round if it produced such health improvements  (My sceptical nature I think), so I'm grateful for your perspective. I'm doing it to try and eliminate polymialgia rheumatica which is making my life a misery and am really hopeful for improvement. There are some amazing testimonials out there. 

All the best to you. 

It's the start of day four for me.  How is everyone else doing?  I cooked a few things on Sunday to prepare for this first week.  I made two different soups, boiled eggs and tuna patty cakes.  Dinners are planned for but not in an amount that will create much in the way of leftovers.  I'm working on changing that for next week.  I hated having to give up being outside on a beautiful sunny day just to cook.  So, I'm planning on making bigger amounts of dinner things that will store for a few days in the fridge.

My soups this week are https://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/ and http://therealfoodrds.com/chicken-tortilla-less-soup/.  Both recipes make 5-6 servings. I alternate them for breakfast and lunch.  The cauli soup is eaten with either the boiled eggs or the tuna patties. It only has 1/2 cup of coconut milk in the whole pot which doesn't seem like it would be enough of a fat serving so I eat some olive or cashews with it.  

The Chicken tortilla-less soup is complete with the avocado I think.

Monday night's dinner was Pulled Pork Carnitas (over a package of Green Giant frozen Zoodles) from the Whole30 book, page 254.  I forgot to add a fat to that meal.

Tuesday night I had a Schwan's salmon filet baked in the oven with canned Delmonte Green Beans and Potatoes.  I mixed up equal parts lemon juice and olive oil (abt 2 Tbls each) and used half of it to bake the fish and poured the rest over everything once it was cooked.  And just to be sure I had enough fat I split a Fugi apple with almond butter with my companion.

Wednesday wasn't quite as great.  No matter what I did I was always an hour behind where I should have been.  I ate my soups at 11 and 4, then had another apple with almond butter at 7.  Not great, but not the worst I've ever done either.

I hit the gym this morning then went home for breakfast.  3 eggs scrambled in bacon fat with coconut aminos and cinnamon, and a Dole red grapefruit sunrise cup.  Lunch will be the cauli soup with tuna patties and olives.  And I've got pork chops and cabbage planned for dinner. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54981/pan-fried-pork-chop-recipe/, and https://www.perrysplate.com/2017/10/caramelized-cabbage-bacon.html

Hope everyone is doing great!

How is everyone?  It's Day 10 - the start of the hardest days.  I'm still hangin' in there.  My man keeps trying to push potato chips and candy canes at me (yes there are still candy canes and peppermint sticks left from the holidays).  So far I am staying strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 19.  Does it feel like this has been going on forever?  Every morning I think I must be near the end of the 30 days, then I look at my Day By Day journal and say ugh!  

It is just hard for me to pack so much food into a day.  And I'm serious when I tell you that my man's snacks sound way more appealing than another fully prepared healthy meal right now.  Especially since I'm the one having to prepare it.  But I carry on...

Eleven more days....

Archived