Day 3 - No Siracha! :( Sneaky Sugar!

MamaDrew

Good Morning, I started out with a bigger breakfast today so I don't get hungry so soon. I do feel so full though right now! I am not a big egg person but it's easy to make in the morning so that's my plan. I normally cover my eggs with Siracha and this morning I took a look and saw it has sugar!! NO!! So I guess days one and two were shot since I used that and I had gum :( But I'll keep moving forward. I also read a post last night about coconut water having sugar in it. I thought coconut water was allowed and encouraged and since I love it I've been drinking it up! But it does have sugar in it....so should I stop?

• Moderators

There are natural sugars in coconut water. Those are not a problem. The problem is if there are added sugars listed as an ingredient. It is important to read the ingredient labels of everything you eat during a Whole30. The same brand may have sugar in one variety and not in another, so you can't accept a recommendation based upon brands.

Coconut water is not encouraged. Rather, it is accepted. The only thing we really encourage drinking is plain water.

You would not need to restart because of not noticing sugar in Siracha.

Chewing gum is not okay during a Whole30. I believe previous editions of the guidelines specifically banned chewing gum and smoking during a Whole30, but I don't see anything on those topics in the current version. No matter, both are a bad idea. Chewing gum fakes your digestive system out and tells it you are eating when you aren't really. That provokes a hormonal response that you should not be provoking.

buy 1/2 lb dried red serrono chilis... toast in a pan and place in blender with water, juice of one lemon, salt (i add some garlic and i bit of onion) blend until smooth and pass through a fine sieve to catch stems/seeds....

best sirahca ever.... thats a big batch.... it will keep a long time in the fridge, but i doubt it will last long....

buy 1/2 lb dried red serrono chilis... toast in a pan and place in blender with water, juice of one lemon, salt (i add some garlic and i bit of onion) blend until smooth and pass through a fine sieve to catch stems/seeds....

best sirahca ever.... thats a big batch.... it will keep a long time in the fridge, but i doubt it will last long....

FB, going to try this. Won't it need a little vinegar as well or do you skip that because there won't be any sweetener in it. Coconut vinegar and a date or two come to mind. Yeah..I can't leave well enough alone. :)

FB, going to try this. Won't it need a little vinegar as well or do you skip that because there won't be any sweetener in it. Coconut vinegar and a date or two come to mind. Yeah..I can't leave well enough alone. :)

i use the lemon for acid but the date and coconut vinegar sounds like a good improvement.... mine is just simple stupid... i play with the chilis and seasonings all the time .... my favorite was using red Tabasco chilis but i almost never can get them....

i use the lemon for acid but the date and coconut vinegar sounds like a good improvement.... mine is just simple stupid... i play with the chilis and seasonings all the time .... my favorite was using red Tabasco chilis but i almost never can get them....

I missed the lemon. That sounds good. I don't use my coconut vinegar much though so I think I will try it. I hope they have dates in bulk because I have no other use for thrm. Little sugar bombs as Robin says. :0)

Thanks everyone! I will definitetly try the homemade Siracha! Can't wait!

Tom - I did see the no smoking which is no biggie since I don't smoke but I am bummed about the gum! I thought gum was off limits because of the sorbitol, I didn't realize it had hormonal qualities. Why is it bad for your body to think you are eatting when you are not?

Ok, I thought this was supposed to make you feel less bloaty and gassy! Is it normal to feel super gassy starting off? It's my 3rd day and I think I've stayed on plan today but holy cow am I uncomfortable! Here is what I've had:

Breakfast - eggs scrambled with spinach, mushrooms, and a little bacon w/ salsa.

Snacked on a couple dried apricots.

Lunch - left over pot roast and carrots from last night.

Coconut Water

And shamefully I have had a peice of gum.

It hit me after lunch...may the dried fruit? I only had 4 or 5 small pieces.

There are natural sugars in coconut water. Those are not a problem. The problem is if there are added sugars listed as an ingredient. It is important to read the ingredient labels of everything you eat during a Whole30. The same brand may have sugar in one variety and not in another, so you can't accept a recommendation based upon brands.

Coconut water is not encouraged. Rather, it is accepted. The only thing we really encourage drinking is plain water.

You would not need to restart because of not noticing sugar in Siracha.

Chewing gum is not okay during a Whole30. I believe previous editions of the guidelines specifically banned chewing gum and smoking during a Whole30, but I don't see anything on those topics in the current version. No matter, both are a bad idea. Chewing gum fakes your digestive system out and tells it you are eating when you aren't really. That provokes a hormonal response that you should not be provoking.

Oh! That's why we stay away from gum! Thanks for clearing that up :) That makes sense ~ Susan

Ok, I thought this was supposed to make you feel less bloaty and gassy! Is it normal to feel super gassy starting off? It's my 3rd day and I think I've stayed on plan today but holy cow am I uncomfortable! Here is what I've had:

Breakfast - eggs scrambled with spinach, mushrooms, and a little bacon w/ salsa.

Snacked on a couple dried apricots.

Lunch - left over pot roast and carrots from last night.

Coconut Water

And shamefully I have had a peice of gum.

It hit me after lunch...may the dried fruit? I only had 4 or 5 small pieces.

I cannot eat apricots because of the painful gas they give me. It's on the FODMAPS list. If you have even a bit of IBS, stay away from those.

I don't have a link at the moment but nomnompaleo has created a sriacha recipe. You might look it up!

I've made the NomNom Siracha recipe before and while it's ridiculously yummy (as most things NomNom) it also contains 3 tbsp. of honey. Doh! I suppose one could leave out the sugar and it would still be tasty. And I do read in the Peanut Manifesto that a trace amount of cane extract in Sunbutter is "okay" but 3 tbsp. of honey in a recipe sounds like more than a trace. Or, it might just be Day 4 talking and I'm just trying to talk myself into making the Siracha. ;)

Archived