How do you drink your coffee on whole30?

• Moderators

I use canned coconut milk, the full fat variety. I probably use 2-3 oz in a large cup of coffee.

If I want something fancier, I will blend coffee, the coconut milk, and a bit of coconut oil, sometimes with cinnamon or even with garam masala which is a spice blend with cinnamon and nutmeg and other stuff in it. (If you do this in a regular blender, take the center piece out of the lid and hold a folded towel over the opening so the steam doesn't make the lid pop off. Or just use your immersion/stick blender if you have one.) Blending helps keep the oil emulsified, otherwise you get a pool of oil on top of your coffee. And the oil helps the whole thing feel thicker, closer to the half & half I really prefer.

Hi @brandyontherun, I also used to drink my coffee with a little milk, but have found over time that it's not necessary because there are so many great alternatives out there! Any compliant almond milk is the easiest option, but if you want to spend a little more time and/or money, my favorites are:

- Nutpods (any flavor)

- Califia Farms has a similar product to Nutpods now. There's a Whole Foods near my office, so I now always have one of these on hand in our office break room.

- Full fat coconut cream actually blended into the coffee (this is usually a weekend project when I have a few extra minutes)

- Brewing the cinnamon directly with the coffee that way you get a more infused flavor

As always though, make sure to read labels very carefully. Products in my town can have different ingredients from where you live. 

I add a pinch of salt to my coffee - salt actually helps to block bitter flavors and enhances sweet flavors - that's why salted dark chocolate is so darn good, for example :).

I'll also sometimes (usually on lazy Saturday or Sunday mornings when I have time) crack an egg into my blender with a tablespoon or two of coconut cream and cinnamon, blend it for a minute, then slowly add my freshly brewed coffee with the blender still on low. Sounds weird, but it's a nice added bit of protein to have, especially if I'm going to have fruit with my breakfast that morning.

Last year, I had to finally give up cream in my coffee. I'm allergic to dairy, and felt that even the "non-dairy" creamers weren't working for me. I tried powdered coconut creamer, but no thank you, the taste was just too strong (and for the same reason I can't see myself trying canned coconut milk or coconut cream, either). I don't mind unsweetened almond milk in coffee, but I make my coffee upstairs and don't want to go to the kitchen to get my creamer... which means no nutpods or anything else that would require refrigeration after I open it.

So that left me with coffee, and a lot of sugar. I spent all of December gradually reducing the sugar I put into each cup, starting at 4 of the little black plastic spoons you get with takeout and ending with absolutely black and unsweetened coffee on December 31st... just in time for starting my Whole30 on January 1st :D

Now, black coffee is just normal. I can't do it with all coffee, because some of it's just nasty that way (to me). My mom got me started on Dunkin Donuts brand coffee, though, and I can drink their original blend and the 100% Columbian without anything added. I wouldn't even know where to start with any other brand, and have been scared to even try because I hate the thought of wasting money on coffee I won't be able to drink (I refuse to go back to loading mine up with cream and/or sugar)!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Boop said:

What if you like your coffee a little sweeter?  I used Splenda in my coffee before, but I wasn't using creamer or dairy.

Sweet coffee is something that many folks have had to give up or learn to drink without sweetener during their Whole30. Google search: whole30 coffee and you should find some ideas but none of them are going to give you sweet coffee.

• 2 months later...

I am currently using Hazelnut Nutpods.  I have to use a lot to get it to a remotely creamy consistency, but the flavor is good.  I do not like coconut flavor in my coffee, so the Better Half stuff was not good for me.  Prior to starting Whole30 (I'm 10 days in), I put heavy cream in my coffee, no sugar.  Needless to say, it is what I miss and crave the most!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

French Vanilla Nutpods and a scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides. Creamy, frothy, and delish! I look forward to it every morning:) 

This time through (at least so far), I've been brewing mine with ground cacao (100%) and a little cinnamon. I basically use 3 tsp cacao, 3 shakes cinnamon, and 2-4 tsp coffee depending on how strong I want the coffee flavor to be compared to the cacao (which means I'll vary the amount of water that goes in for that same reason). I don't add anything else to it at this point.

That said, I walked down the coffee aisle at Sprouts the last time I was there, and my nose was all sorts of intrigued. I've been very tempted to get a bit of their fresh-ground coffee sometime soon, to see if I like it as well as what I've been using as my base.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:03 AM, brandyontherun said:

I've been trying to drink my coffee black or with cinnamon.... but it's just not good!  Previously I would drink it with milk.

How do you like your whole30 coffee?

So far on day 13,  it doesn’t seem like a big loss to me,....I saw this sign in a DC Dolcezza, and didn’t take it in the literal sense, but rather the road ahead.....at least for the next 17+ days....

7A7C7269-83D8-47F4-8443-35FE87F46306.jpeg

Archived