Sign in to follow this  
brandyontherun

How do you drink your coffee on whole30?

I use canned coconut milk, the full fat variety. I probably use 2-3 oz in a large cup of coffee.

If I want something fancier, I will blend coffee, the coconut milk, and a bit of coconut oil, sometimes with cinnamon or even with garam masala which is a spice blend with cinnamon and nutmeg and other stuff in it. (If you do this in a regular blender, take the center piece out of the lid and hold a folded towel over the opening so the steam doesn't make the lid pop off. Or just use your immersion/stick blender if you have one.) Blending helps keep the oil emulsified, otherwise you get a pool of oil on top of your coffee. And the oil helps the whole thing feel thicker, closer to the half & half I really prefer.

Hi @brandyontherun, I also used to drink my coffee with a little milk, but have found over time that it's not necessary because there are so many great alternatives out there! Any compliant almond milk is the easiest option, but if you want to spend a little more time and/or money, my favorites are:

- Nutpods (any flavor)

- Califia Farms has a similar product to Nutpods now. There's a Whole Foods near my office, so I now always have one of these on hand in our office break room.

- Full fat coconut cream actually blended into the coffee (this is usually a weekend project when I have a few extra minutes)

- Brewing the cinnamon directly with the coffee that way you get a more infused flavor

As always though, make sure to read labels very carefully. Products in my town can have different ingredients from where you live. 

I add a pinch of salt to my coffee - salt actually helps to block bitter flavors and enhances sweet flavors - that's why salted dark chocolate is so darn good, for example :).

I'll also sometimes (usually on lazy Saturday or Sunday mornings when I have time) crack an egg into my blender with a tablespoon or two of coconut cream and cinnamon, blend it for a minute, then slowly add my freshly brewed coffee with the blender still on low. Sounds weird, but it's a nice added bit of protein to have, especially if I'm going to have fruit with my breakfast that morning.