Why am I always bloated??

anna leigh

I’m on day 10 and one of the main reasons for doing the whole30 is to help my stomach to flatten. No matter what I eat, I feel like my stomach is bloated after EVERY meal, even if I don’t eat a ton. Every night is it bigger than when I wake up. Is this normal? Also, my stomach doesn’t feel badly, it’s just bloated. Any advice??

• Moderators

Many things can contribute to bloating, so it's hard to say. If it isn't painful and you don't have any other symptoms that worry you, you might want to just relax and wait it out, you may still experience relief from this by the end of 30 days.

In general things you can try to help with it: be sure you're drinking plenty of water, aiming for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz. Cook most of your vegetables rather than eating a lot if them raw -- cooked veggies are easier to digest. Pay attention to what kinds of vegetables you're eating -- cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are more likely to contribute to gas and bloating regardless of whether they're cooked or raw, so try to cut back on those and have other vegetables instead for a while.

I would recommend keeping a food diary, just a general record of what you're eating and maybe noting when you feel most bloated or when you have a meal that doesn't leave you bloated. In a couple of weeks if you still feel this is an issue, we can maybe look and see if there's something you're eating that's more likely to be causing this.

If you are experiencing pain with this or any other symptoms that you're worried about, definitely talk to your doctor just to rule out any underlying issues.

Thank you so much! I am drinking 96oz of water a day so I know I’m good I’m that area. :)  I had no idea that broccoli was something that could cause bloating! I ate it too much last week so maybe that’s part of it haha.  I also haven’t been having raw vegetables since I can’t have my beloved ranch dressing I always dip them in. I was initially logging all my food into MyFitnessPal but then I got sick of worrying about the calories and nutrients I was getting and realized I wasn’t supposed to be looking at calories anyway. Now I’m just trying to enjoy my food and eat when my body says I need to and eat how much I feel like I need. But you’re right, I should be writing the foods down so I can keep track. Thank you so much for your help!! I appreciate it :))

Archived