Spice Blend recipes?

afalast

I have recently started making my own taco seasoning. We are huge taco meat eaters in this family!

Was hoping some of you had your own spice blends that you make with recipes to share? Having these pre-made on hand is a huge time-saver for me!

Ras el hanout

The spices and proportions are in Well Fed, which of course I don't have with me now. I love that stuff and use it on a little bit of everything! It's particularly yummy on salmon. I do remember its a blend that has coriander, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, salt etc. If you google Ras el hanout you'll come up with lots of hits with minor variations of essentially the same blend!

I use the mocha steak. Also the smoky blend from Practical Paleo. I make the batches x3 and keep them in cute little glass jars. (I think I have a small obsession with glass jars.) A good rule of thumb: if the spices smell good together, they'll taste good together.

Duh! I am waiting for my book in the mail.....so I assume lots of this lingo is spelled out there!

Thank you for the spice ideas! My husband loves sauces and spices, so I need plenty of ammo to keep him motivated!

jennrider... I do the same thing! And i totally have an obsession.... I have tons of the old bail jars. I actually have a lot more room in my new kitchen and I have a crate of bail jars in the basement that I can now start using. Plus i buy every cute glass jar I find at flea markets and things LOL

Here s part of a post i made from the topic "breakfast ideas"

" if you can find them dried you can lightly toast and grind or buy it already ground mix equal parts, mild New Mexican red,mild New Mexican green,guallio,ancho,Hungarian smoked cherry,and,chile de arbol..... Then adjust heat to your liking with habanero. That's my 8 chile blend.... Very smokey and rich and not to hot if you don't add to much habanero

For all purpose chile powder I take 5 parts of the blend to one part toasted and ground cumin seed,1/2 part toasted ground coriander, 1/2 part epazote powder.... I love this on just about everything"

• 3 months later...

I also make my own taco seasoning (recipe from MDA, but I cut out the salt), but sometimes I add either cinnamon or chipotle powder to it. The cinnamon brings a bit of a sweetness in it, but I only really use that on chicken. The chipotle I find a bi more versatile and will add that to anything.

I also have a spice blend I use for sweet potatoes that would be similar to a pumpkin pie spice, but I'd imagine would be whole30 compliant. I don't really measure it, I usually eyeball it. It likely amounts to about:

-4 parts cinnamon

-2 parts nutmeg

-2 parts ginger

-1 part clove

-1 part allspice

I also use it on chicken occassionally, but mostly sweet potato. I usually just use butter (when not on whole30) on the sweet potato and the spice, but for whole30 I'm sure I'll try it with Ghee or maybe even drizzled with coconut oil. Also works well with shopped pecans. I use it on mashed sweet potato, baked sweet potato, roasted sweet potato rounds or cubes...really just about anything sweet potato.

I love the 'smoky blend' from Practical Paleo and the 'Italian sausage seasoning' from Well Fed. I use both of those at least a couple of times a week.

I'm also a huge fan of 'Sunny Paris' seasoning from Penzy's. I know you were asking for make-at-home blends, but this is the one store bought one that I pull out ALL the time. It's amazing on veggies, chicken and eggs. It would probably be good on fish as well, but I haven't tried it yet.

Archived