Whole30 and Egg Donation

I am an egg donor and I have one coming up this month on day 24 of my Whole30. I've done this several times so I'm not super worried about it but I do get really sore and bloated after the procedure. They always tell me to drink a lot of gatorade for the electrolytes but obviously that is not compliant. Is there something else I can drink to get a similar effect? Maybe coconut water? I don't really like it but I could probably manage. They also hand me cranberry or orange juice right after I wake up for my blood sugar since I have to fast the day of the procedure but I can't drink the canned stuff they'll give me so what should I bring with me? Just some fresh squeezed juice or something?

Also, just curious, is the actual procedure even compliant? I mean what effect does anesthesia have on your body?  I'll donate either way, but I'm curious. 

These two electrolyte products are Whole30 compliant. The first one was, at one point, officially Whole30 Approved, though I'm not sure it is now. 

I'm not sure about your other question. Sorry! 

The biggest effect with anesthesia is that a lot of times patients are given dexamethasone to prevent nausea. It is a steroid and will increase your blood sugar for a day. It's not something that has to be given.

Bless you.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Heathermarie74 said:

I am an egg donor and I have one coming up this month on day 24 of my Whole30. I've done this several times so I'm not super worried about it but I do get really sore and bloated after the procedure. They always tell me to drink a lot of gatorade for the electrolytes but obviously that is not compliant. Is there something else I can drink to get a similar effect? Maybe coconut water? I don't really like it but I could probably manage. They also hand me cranberry or orange juice right after I wake up for my blood sugar since I have to fast the day of the procedure but I can't drink the canned stuff they'll give me so what should I bring with me? Just some fresh squeezed juice or something?

Also, just curious, is the actual procedure even compliant? I mean what effect does anesthesia have on your body?  I'll donate either way, but I'm curious. 

The Whole30 is only concerned with what you eat - medical procedures and whatever the required medication for these does not fall under the purview of the program.  You can definitely bring your own juice - I'm sure you can find a 100% juice at a store - don't think you need to fresh squeeze it yourself, just go read the labels... probably the juice that is sold cold in your produce department is your best bet for fewer additives.

• 2 months later...

I don’t have any knowledge or advice for you, but thank you so much for donating. I have two sons using donated eggs, sons that I love and would not have if someone hadn’t donated for me. They are 13 and 10 now, so I had them when egg donation was a fairly new process. I can’t imagine my life without my kids. You are giving someone a chance to have a baby they desperately long for, and the joy they will feel when they hold their child is incredible. Thank you for making a miracle happen!

Archived