Compliant Chicken Broth

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lucy Stevens said:

Wegman's stock? Or is the gelatin not okay? This is on sale for $1.99 at my Wegman's this week. It's what I was planning on getting. 

Chicken Stock, Sea Salt, Carrot Stock, Celery Stock, Gelatin, Onion Stock, Chicken Fat, Tapioca Starch

https://www.wegmans.com/products/grocery-food/soup/broth/chicken-culinary-stock.html

This would be fine, @Lucy Stevens

On 1/4/2013 at 11:20 AM, Melany Anderson said:

I think the rachael ray one is sugar free.

I almost bought that one the other day but it has some form of yeast in it, which makes that one kind of a grey area! But I did find an organic one at Walmart that's compliant. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi--I know that this has been brought up before, so I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. More so I am looking for a sanity check. I bought Pacific brand organic Chicken Stock today from Whole Foods. Ingredients are listed as: Chicken Stock (water, chicken*, onion*, carrot*, celery*, tomato*, spices*, rosemary extract*), sea salt. *organic. 

Please for the love of larabars can someone tell me if this stock is compliant? I'm on day 21 and cannot risk a slip up but would love to have some soup!

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, brendels said:

Hi--I know that this has been brought up before, so I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. More so I am looking for a sanity check. I bought Pacific brand organic Chicken Stock today from Whole Foods. Ingredients are listed as: Chicken Stock (water, chicken*, onion*, carrot*, celery*, tomato*, spices*, rosemary extract*), sea salt. *organic. 

Please for the love of larabars can someone tell me if this stock is compliant? I'm on day 21 and cannot risk a slip up but would love to have some soup!

This is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/4/2013 at 9:57 AM, Tom Denham said:

There are very few sugar free chicken broths on the market. One I found at Whole Foods was the Imagine brand, but only the Organic Free Range Chicken. Other varieties included cane sugar. I found one other sugar free brand once upon a time, but I've forgotten the name.

I just looked at Imagine brand Organic Free Range Chicken Broth and is says "sugars <1g". The ingredient list looks good, but I don't think this is Whole30 compliant? I'm new to Whole30, so clarification would be helpful :)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, KNOzuna said:

I just looked at Imagine brand Organic Free Range Chicken Broth and is says "sugars <1g". The ingredient list looks good, but I don't think this is Whole30 compliant? I'm new to Whole30, so clarification would be helpful :)

What do the ingredients say? We don't bother w/ the nutrition panel as lots of foods have naturally occurring sugars. Added sugars is what you're looking to avoid.

• 2 months later...

I am finding it really hard to find chicken stock, so I am making the move to chicken bone broth instead, which is easy to find compliant products. The taste is a bit stronger but mix it with water and you won't really notice the difference in soups and such.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey friends! I think I still need some further clarification. I purchased Swanson’s Unsalted Chicken Cooking Stock, the ingredient list is as follows:

Chicken Stock, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Dehydrated Chicken, Natural Flavoring, Chicken Fat**. **adds A Trivial Amount Of Fat.

From that list, it looks like the stock is compliant (yay!). However, when I look at the nutrition panel, it shows there is sugar! (“Includes <1g added sugars”)

This is just so confusing for me :( How can they add sugar, but then it’s not on the ingredients list? And if it’s naturally occurring sugar, then why is it on the “added sugars” line?

436D3B07-73E7-46B6-9251-A46231AA260C.jpeg

07BB89F3-7EBA-47B7-8597-DEC004ACC13D.png

• Moderators

@Helen marie  all you need to look at is the ingredients. If there's nothing in the ingredients that's off limits, it's fine to have.  I do not know why they've listed something as added sugar but not listed it in the ingredients, that doesn't make sense to me either, but if you've read all the ingredients and it's not there, it's fine to have. 

Archived