Michele West

Compliant Chicken Broth

Vegetable broth is great for vegetarians, but for those eating meat, there's plenty of extra nutrition in bone broth.

Vegetarian broths can also have sneaky ingredients, so always read your labels (or just make your own) :)

1 hour ago, Lucy Stevens said:

Wegman's stock? Or is the gelatin not okay? This is on sale for $1.99 at my Wegman's this week. It's what I was planning on getting. 

Chicken Stock, Sea Salt, Carrot Stock, Celery Stock, Gelatin, Onion Stock, Chicken Fat, Tapioca Starch

https://www.wegmans.com/products/grocery-food/soup/broth/chicken-culinary-stock.html

This would be fine, @Lucy Stevens

On 1/4/2013 at 11:20 AM, Melany Anderson said:

I think the rachael ray one is sugar free.

I almost bought that one the other day but it has some form of yeast in it, which makes that one kind of a grey area! But I did find an organic one at Walmart that's compliant. 

Hi--I know that this has been brought up before, so I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. More so I am looking for a sanity check. I bought Pacific brand organic Chicken Stock today from Whole Foods. Ingredients are listed as: Chicken Stock (water, chicken*, onion*, carrot*, celery*, tomato*, spices*, rosemary extract*), sea salt. *organic. 

Please for the love of larabars can someone tell me if this stock is compliant? I'm on day 21 and cannot risk a slip up but would love to have some soup!

40 minutes ago, brendels said:

Hi--I know that this has been brought up before, so I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. More so I am looking for a sanity check. I bought Pacific brand organic Chicken Stock today from Whole Foods. Ingredients are listed as: Chicken Stock (water, chicken*, onion*, carrot*, celery*, tomato*, spices*, rosemary extract*), sea salt. *organic. 

Please for the love of larabars can someone tell me if this stock is compliant? I'm on day 21 and cannot risk a slip up but would love to have some soup!

This is fine.

I can't tell you how annoyed I was when Aldi had a reasonably priced bone broth as a special, and it turned out to have sugar in the ingredients. So disappointing! :angry:

On 1/4/2013 at 9:57 AM, Tom Denham said:

There are very few sugar free chicken broths on the market. One I found at Whole Foods was the Imagine brand, but only the Organic Free Range Chicken. Other varieties included cane sugar. I found one other sugar free brand once upon a time, but I've forgotten the name.

I just looked at Imagine brand Organic Free Range Chicken Broth and is says "sugars <1g". The ingredient list looks good, but I don't think this is Whole30 compliant? I'm new to Whole30, so clarification would be helpful :)

1 hour ago, KNOzuna said:

I just looked at Imagine brand Organic Free Range Chicken Broth and is says "sugars <1g". The ingredient list looks good, but I don't think this is Whole30 compliant? I'm new to Whole30, so clarification would be helpful :)

What do the ingredients say? We don't bother w/ the nutrition panel as lots of foods have naturally occurring sugars. Added sugars is what you're looking to avoid.

I am finding it really hard to find chicken stock, so I am making the move to chicken bone broth instead, which is easy to find compliant products. The taste is a bit stronger but mix it with water and you won't really notice the difference in soups and such.

This seems like it would be okay.  Am I missing anything?

Chicken Stock, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Natural Flavoring, Yeast Extract, Water, Carrot Juice Concentrate, Celery Juice Concentrate, Onion Juice Concentrate.

I'm crazy about bone broth! There are a few new good options from companies like Kettle and Fire and Epic that are full of amazing nutrients. They are a little on the pricey side but so tasty and filling.