Chicken Sausage or other breakfast meat?

Mjk5598

Anyone have a great recommendation for chicken sausage?  I have bought two types so far and thrown them out. Both had nutmeg or cinnamon in them.   I HATE cinnamon but I need something to add to my morning breakfast options.  I am making egg muffins with a ton of veggies.  I don't eat avocados... but I am currently hungry and I have an hour to lunch.  Help, please!

• Moderators

You could make your own. This recipe, just leaving out the sugar,  is good, although I don't put anywhere near the amount of red pepper flakes she calls for:   https://www.homesicktexan.com/2008/02/breakfast-sausage-to-begin-day.html (and if you don't want pork, it works fine with chicken or turkey, and if you want to mix it directly into your egg muffins just don't make patties out of it before you cook it).

You could also use other meats, either in the muffins or on the side. Or just have enough egg muffins that you're having as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand and don't worry about another type of protein.

Avocado is a fat, and you should definitely be adding fat to each meal, but it doesnt have to be avocado. Have a handful of olives, or add diced olives to your egg muffins. Have a handful of toasted coconut flakes, or some nuts or seeds, or some bacon. Or make some kind of sauce or dip to go on your egg muffins or dip them in -- mayo is probably easiest, but you could top them with a pesto or chimichurri sauce.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer a milder sausage, myself, and generally have to make sure my 9yo can also enjoy it because it's one of the few meats she'll eat. This is the recipe I've been using for my breakfast sausage:

For every 1 lb of ground meat (I use turkey for mine) --
  1-2 tsp dried sage
  1/2 tsp salt
  1/2 tsp black pepper
  pinch marjoram, dried
  pinch cloves, ground

I adapted my recipe from this one:
https://40aprons.com/easy-whole30-breakfast-sausage-paleo/
When I first made theirs, I reduced the salt to 1/2 tsp per pound of meat, and even that was a little on the salty side (but everyone liked it so I kept it that way in my notes). I also added in marjoram because I like it in my sausage, and skipped out on the poultry seasoning and crushed red peppers from the original recipe (I didn't have either one, but neither is actually needed for me to enjoy the result!)

We also regularly purchase Aidells Chicken & Apple sausage, which we enjoy on its own or mixed into other dishes. It makes a nice break from the home-made stuff, too, especially if we've run out and I haven't prepped more yet!

On 1/19/2019 at 9:42 PM, Jihanna said:

also regularly purchase Aidells Chicken & Apple sausage, which we enjoy on its own or mixed into other dishes. It makes a nice break from the home-made stuff, too, especially if we've run out and I haven't prepped more yet!

This is what I was coming to suggest. It's pretty good, and we pretty much always have it in the house (w30 or not). My 18mo daughter also enjoys it.

• 3 weeks later...

I fourth the Aidell’s Chicken & Apple recommendation! I honestly used to HATE chicken sausages; this is the first I’ve ever liked! Used it for a sausage-sweet potato-apple breakfast skillet this week and YUM! Also, compliant bacon. I honestly don’t usually buy bacon, but I know I’m going to get sick of chicken, so I decided to throw this in for a change of pace. Made compliant breadless BLTs this week that were really good!

Archived