Sweet potato cranberry cakes

C. Logan

(I posted this in "Cooking" but I wasn't sure if it should go here)

The word "cake" makes me cringe, but I wanted to check if these are compliant. To me, it sounded like it was along the same lines as a salmon "cake" but just wanted to make sure. 

https://paleomg.com/cranberry-sweet-potato-breakfast-cakes/

If context matters, I'm not craving a pancake or anything, just seemed like an interesting and different sweet potato recipe. 

Thanks. 

In my opinion this seems along the lines of a lot of the sweet potato hashes and such that are out there.  The cranberries though - be careful I have YET to find a dried cranberry that doesn't have sugar in some form.  I keep looking but no dice and I sure would love to add them to salads every now and then!

Bear in mind that this is just my opinion and I'm not a mod, but it doesn't seem to rise to the SWYPO level like Paleo Pancakes, Muffins etc.  I'll be interested to see what a more official voice says on this thread though because a lot of things I consider SWYPO seem to be considered okay and others aren't.  

• Administrators
15 hours ago, C. Logan said:

The word "cake" makes me cringe, but I wanted to check if these are compliant. To me, it sounded like it was along the same lines as a salmon "cake" but just wanted to make sure. 

If context matters, I'm not craving a pancake or anything, just seemed like an interesting and different sweet potato recipe. 

Thanks. 

Yes, these are fine. There's no sweetener, no alternative flours to make it "doughy" and they are savoury....I would call them sweet potato patties. ;)  Make sure you complete the meal with protein and fat.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, C. Logan said:

Thanks. 

Per forum rules, please do not cross post multiple times to various threads - it makes the forum harder to navigate.  I've removed your other two posts as you received an answer here.

18 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Yes, these are fine. There's no sweetener, no alternative flours to make it "doughy" and they are savoury....I would call them sweet potato patties. ;)  Make sure you complete the meal with protein and fat.

It will go along with some fried eggs and a fat. Thank you kindly!

6 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Per forum rules, please do not cross post multiple times to various threads - it makes the forum harder to navigate.  I've removed your other two posts as you received an answer here.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, pags98 said:

In my opinion this seems along the lines of a lot of the sweet potato hashes and such that are out there.  The cranberries though - be careful I have YET to find a dried cranberry that doesn't have sugar in some form.  I keep looking but no dice and I sure would love to add them to salads every now and then!

Bear in mind that this is just my opinion and I'm not a mod, but it doesn't seem to rise to the SWYPO level like Paleo Pancakes, Muffins etc.  I'll be interested to see what a more official voice says on this thread though because a lot of things I consider SWYPO seem to be considered okay and others aren't.  

Whole Foods used to carry cranberries with apple juice in their bulk bins but they don't have it anymore, has cane sugar now :( 

I had to look to Amazon for this brand https://www.edenfoods.com/store/dried-cranberries-organic.html

As someone who has gone round and round and following the written rules to a T when following Whole30, cakes of any kind should not be recreated- whether the ingredients are compliant or not. Same goes for Latkes (aka potato pancakes. Same goes for those who make “sweet potato toast”. Definitely SWYPO

I say no to these, especially if I were following Whole30.  

Instead of these, I would make a huge batch of Sweet Potato hash (the kind with chunks of sweet potato, onion,and green apple, and bacon) because it’s the bomb and pairs nicely with any meal!

always remember to refer to the RULES on the website first before the forum! The forum has helped in so many ways but it can be filled with a lot of false information. Don’t cheat yourself on an amazing program!

Just to back my statement up, here is the excerpt directly from the WHOLE30 101: THE OFFICIAL “CAN I HAVE…” GUIDE TO THE WHOLE30® section. 

Pancakes: No

Sometimes, we feel like if we have to have one more conversation about pancakes, we might explode. No, you can’t have pancakes. Yes, even if they’re just bananas and eggs. First, they are explicitly ruled out in the Whole30 program guidelines. This should be enough of a reason, but in case you’re still wondering why (they’re just bananas and eggs!)…

Pancakes in any form do not encourage success with the Whole30 program. Reaching your health goals depends on committing to both the rules and the spirit and intention of the program. The Whole30 is designed to change your relationship with food, first and foremost. And the psychological impact of eating pancakes as part of your healthy eating, life-changing plan cannot be ignored.

Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain perceives the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes, as we reference in the back of It Starts With Food), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined. Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it’s that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.

You may not have an affinity for pancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule these Paleo recreations out. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best Whole30success possible. And, of course, what you choose to do after your 30 days are up is entirely up to you.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, Strodtbeck84 said:

Same goes for Latkes (aka potato pancakes. Same goes for those who make “sweet potato toast”. Definitely SWYPO

always remember to refer to the RULES on the website first before the forum! The forum has helped in so many ways but it can be filled with a lot of false information. 

Sweet potato "toast" is sliced sweet potato and is definitely permitted on Whole30. If you, personally, have a very strong association to conventional toast where you think that putting toppings on a slice of sweet potato is a gateway food for you, then sure, you should exclude it. Latkes are also permitted for the program as they are baked or pan fried vegetables. We understand that some people may find that they are better off leaving them off and that's fine but they are also not considered SWYPO. 

I appreciate your passion surrounding the program and of course we want folks to read things with a critical mind. We also appreciate polite and respectful discourse but please also understand that answers coming from Whole30 Moderators, Administrators and Coaches is generally not going to be "false information".

• Administrators
1 hour ago, C. Logan said:

Whole Foods used to carry cranberries with apple juice in their bulk bins but they don't have it anymore, has cane sugar now :( 

I had to look to Amazon for this brand https://www.edenfoods.com/store/dried-cranberries-organic.html

Sometimes raisins are easier to find unsweetened and would work much the same.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:51 AM, pags98 said:

The bulk bins at Whole Foods may have juice-sweetened cranberries.

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, pags98 said:

You’re now in luck, maybe— dried cranberries exist without added sugar, per se, except for apple juice concentrate. 
https://www.goodeggs.com/sfbay/tierrafarmsfbay/organic-dried-cranberries/587fdfdc6b6261000a2dd01d

Archived