Paleo General Tso's Chicken Recipe

Della Nova

there really isn't a replacement for sugar except for with another kind of sugar.

Maybe you could try adding pineapple? chopped or a little juice to help sweeten a little?

Otherwise I think it's best to leave out

I like the suggestion of adding pineapple, as I could see that working with the overall General Tso's chicken flavor. The original recipe calls for only 1 tablespoon of molasses, so I shouldn't need much pineapple. Thank you for the idea!

Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to make this dish. Maybe tonight...

Looking at the recipe, I'd think you could just leave out the molasses and I doubt you'd notice. But, I also like the idea of adding pineapple. I think I would dice the pineapple fairly large so that the eater can choose when they would like a sweeter bite with pineapple.

Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to make this dish. Maybe tonight...

Looking at the recipe, I'd think you could just leave out the molasses and I doubt you'd notice. But, I also like the idea of adding pineapple. I think I would dice the pineapple fairly large so that the eater can choose when they would like a sweeter bite with pineapple.

Yep, I'm looking forward to making it tomorrow and will post how it turns out.

I bought chunks of pineapple from Whole Foods (the smallest container they had) so I'm gonna pretty much mix them up. It'll just be for myself and my husband, so I'm gonna kind wing-it based on our flavor preferences.

I ended up making this tonight. I did make a couple changes, used real garlic and ginger instead of the powders, eliminated the molasses, add large sweet bell pepper pieces and added fresh pineapple chunks. I also doubled up on the sauce and used half of it to marinade the chicken for a few hours before cooking. Served over zucchini noodles.

The verdict? All five kids ate it without any complaints! My wife said she loved it! I thought it was a bit better than OK. It seemed like it was missing something to me, maybe some heat. I think the addition of some Thai peppers would be nice, but the the kids and wife probably wouldn't like it as much. I also think cauliflower rice might work better for this dish than zucchini noodles, and I love zucchini noodles!

I made this yesterday night and it turned out to be pretty delicious!

I pre-cooked the chicken on Sunday, so I didn't have the caramelized bits on the bottom (but it was still a tasty sauce). I used Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and fresh garlic along with pre-cut pineapple chunks to make the sauce and then added the chicken in. I served it over cauliflower-rice (which I cooked in ghee and mixed in Coconut Aminos).

I would probably recommend as a good Whole30 dish!

Archived