Yoga Anyone? Thinking of ditching the crazy for something new.

jtota

Never hurts to change things up.... I know my body adapts to whatever form of training I do so I periodize my type of training( three weeks strength,three weeks conditioning,three week technique.....) and mix up my routines for constant muscle confusion....

Yoga can be intense so give it a try.... You may want to add in 2 days per week of 20-30 min HIIT cardio if you feel the yoga is not enough.... That will fire up your metabolism!

It depends on your yoga class-- some are slow and stretchy (Yin, maybe Hatha), and some are aerobic and strengthening sweat-fests (active Vinyasa or flow, and I assume Ashtanga, though I've never done Ashtanga).

I'm doing primarily "active" Vinyasa yoga (switching between level 2 and 3) right now, and I sweat and my muscles shake in (almost) every class. Aside from lots of hiking with the dog, that's my exercise for now.

As part of my Whole30, I'm also doing a "30 Day Yoga Challenge" where I do some form of yoga every single day for 30 days. I do try to listen to my body, though, so that I do the more intense styles on days when I have more energy. On days when I'm feeling sore or worn out, I might just do a short class or a more relaxed style. I joined www.yogaglo.com to take online classes in a variety of styles and it's worked out very well so far. I also take some live Vinyasa flow and Bikram classes - probably one to two each week. Haven't done that this week, though, because I've been sick so my yoga workouts have been pretty easy. Good luck!

Wow. Thanks everyone for the replies. We set out this New Year with the goal to get "ripped". At 35, we have decided now is absolutely the time to take charge of our health and finally, really truly, get fit. We have pondered Crossfit, done a few P90X workouts, and I love Insanity. But I am finding for some reason that my body is not wanting to do crazy workouts and I am craving something more nurturing. However I don't want to lose the physical conditioning I already have from running etc.

We would like to run the Warrior Dash in April (on my husbands birthday) and the tough mudder in September. Both lofty goals, and counter to what I am wanting to do for exercise at the moment. I am not sure though if I am just wanting to be lazy with my fitness, or if having those 2 goals has maybe scared me into thinking it's all too much . . . or if I just answered my own question. :rolleyes: Gosh . . . writing is amazing. It'll be fun to see where this goes now . . .

I took an 8 am yoga class this morning. I hadn't done it in a while and I thank myself each time I do it. I love it :wub: My muscles feel great and I feel great afterwards. I'm so looking forward to taking it again next sat. Give it a try. It can be quite challenging too sometimes. Depending on how far you want to take it :). Let us know how you like it if you decide to do it.

oh, and by the way, it's not all I'm going to be doing because I too would like to lose some weight. I'm going to take pilates on wed. Zumba for cardio, power walking, and if the gym brings it back, cardio kick. I just have to take it easy because of a herniated disk! So I'll let my body tell me what feels good and what's too much! Yoga, is perfect for that and gets you toned.

Planning on rolling out my yoga mat tomorrow. Looks like there's some great new workouts on yogatoday.com . I've been reading about cortisol and I'm thinking yoga might be a good option as I'm quite sure I have adrenal fatigue issues. I love my crazy workouts but I'm wondering if a month off is not enough. I just finished a 4 week recovery break and feel good, but I was over-trained and I don't wanna go there again. Maybe just some good flow yoga for a few months . . .

Hey anyone do yoga as their main form as exercise. Thinking of ditching the beachbody stuff for something different. Just not sure it's enough to lose the 15lbs I wanna lose.

Rebecca; have you tried Les Mills Combat?

I was stuck at a plateau for months; but seems like this whole 30 combined with combat is doing it for me, and it is a ton of fun.

I love yoga too...hot yoga (Bikram) is my thing...but I am taking this 60 days to do combat before training to become a Bikram instructor this Spring. :)

Do you have a coach? I would talk with him/her; or you can message me as well. :) Best of luck!

No I have not done combat. I looked at it online and it just didn't look like it was for me. I have les mills pump though. My debate however is whether or not I need to stop all the hard core stuff for awhile to decrease my cortisol. I have been doing various programs for 4 years now. I had great results at first and now I am just gaining more and more no matter what program I do.

If any of you have a Lululemon store near you, they often do a free yoga class one day a week. It's normally a vinyasa flow, but it depends on who's teaching and the teachers rotate every week. It's a nice, cost effective way to get in some sessions.

Do the yoga, I did a 45 day journey and I have to tell you it is the best I looked and felt EVER. 1 hour in the morning M-W before the kids woke up then Sat and Sun I would try for a 1.5 hour session. Amazing. Funny is I am a triathlete and I work out so so so hard all the time and I never even get close to looking as good as I did when I was just doing yoga. Training for an Ironman right now and am missing my yoga! It makes you also more in tune with your body. I do Vinyasa yoga check out free podcasts on iTunes. Great way to do it at home!

I have nothing cool near me <_< small town living in the midwest . . .

Giiiiirl have you seen Yogaglo.com? I haven't signed up yet but their blog is awesome. Around $18/month for yoga videos and a lot of people use them.

I know you probably got the response you were looking for by now, but I thought I'd add to it.

I've done yoga for about 13 years, and consider it to be a very strong form of exercise that is not just about stretching and relaxing. Basically, it is what you make of it, and I recommend trying different studios and different styles until you find the one that is right for you. I have practiced many different styles, and I seem to prefer the stronger forms of flow yoga such as power vinyasa and Astanga. That is what works for me and leaves me feeling amazing. I do not enjoy yin yoga, but I also feel that I get the deep stretches and relaxation from the stronger forms. This is just my preference, and I know plenty of people who prefer yin yoga.

When I'm doing yoga regularly (I have lulls sometimes), my husband calls me Sarah Connor. In other words: you can become very, very strong doing yoga. So if you enjoy it, I say do it!

• 11 months later...

Out of every type of workout I've done, I felt and looked my best when doing yoga!! Even better than with intense boot camp style stuff...

I just don't always like rushing to a yoga class so I found a Groupon to yogadowload.com - check it out. We have been doing it every day and there are tons of options from relaxing to hardcore. Oddly, I seem to push myself more at home than in a class - I am not as self conscious when it is just us at home :)

Also, it doesn't have to be either or. I loooove crossfit (my shoulders are starting to look like I'm a crossfit girl and I love it!) but my gym also has yoga. Many do because crossfitters get so tight.

Right now I'm doing one yoga session a week, but I'm going to bump it up. YouTube is amazing, by the way, I always find what I'm looking for and follow along :)

I'm going to put in a plug for yoga. Right now, I'm doing this program called Ultimate Yogi. It's 108 days of yoga. Every day for 108 days, following a calendar and switching it up daily, you work your way through the program. I am LOVING it, even though some of the classes have been frustratingly challenging (and I've been a yoga practicioner for 7 years and a teacher for 1). I can say that in the 12 days I've been at it, my shoulders and triceps are already getting delightfully tight (and my quads). The classes are fast paced enough that you get a bit of cardio in, and the bodyweight work is excellent for building strength. Plus, it's been enormously helpful at stress reduction. An all around win, in my opinion.

Yogaglo, too, is a great resource for all sorts of classes at various levels and of various styles. They have a great roster of teachers. You can try it out for a week for free, but at $18/month, that's a steal, considering an hour long class at a studio runs $18 in my neck of the woods (Chicago.)

I do pilates and love it.  I started about a month ago and go three days a week.  I'm actually starting to develop visible abs :)  It's a good workout but also is relaxing at the same time.  I'm always in a good mood when I leave.

I am a hot yoga addict... I practice hot non-bikram yoga 3-5 times a week... Lost 50 pounds by pairing it up with clean eating... I haven't been able to practice in the studio for over a week due to travel and illness... I am so excited about class tomorrow, stuff is packed by the door ready to go... Just finished day 3 today so I am looking forward to a nice hot class to help with the "kill all things" day... lol.. I find that it is a great stress reliever and awesome workout! I am hoping that some of the classes will help me through my Whole30... 

• 6 months later...

I'm with you! I do 4 hot classes a week, Sunday is power vinyasa. I was all ready for class and got stuck in traffic and missed it. >_<

I've exiled myself to bed for the night so my crabbiness doesn't hurt anyone else's feels. Yoga has gotten me through a lot and I know it will help with this too.

I'm going on vacation next week and am thinking that instead of trying to do my usual crossfit workouts, I'll take a week "off" and do yoga and swimming in the ocean.  I'm excited for a week of yoga! Thanks for the link to the yoga video site - it looks really great, especially when traveling!

• Moderators

I do Bikram yoga and it is really intense. It's hot, and if I work hard I will be shaking by the end.

The trick is to regulate your effort from day to day, and most importantly to not try TOO hard. The benefits to my mind and psyche have been profound, certainly not what I expected.

My body always looks the most awesome when I am doing it regularly.

Keep in mind, the first 2 - 3 weeks on Whole30 can be very low energy while your body adapts. Don't push too hard, give yourself permission to do very easy workouts until that happens.

Archived