Allison's Whole 30 Log

Aliem999

Day 25

Breakfast (8:00 AM): sausage, sweet potato "pancakes" and strawberries with coconut

Lunch (12 PM): Cobb salad.

Dinner (7:30 PM): Mexican inspired cauliflower rice with ground beef with some guac

Definitely felt energized today. No coffee, no tea. Just energy. Also, My resting heart rate was 59! I have been flirting with the low 60s and for the first time it was 59! I have seen it go lower when i was relaxed, but still exciting! As this challenge comes to an end, I am pretty proud that I have had at least 10k steps every day so far. I do really want to have some nachos. While I have been enjoying my cheese free salads, I do miss a bit of blue cheese. Now I have not been fixated on the thought of these nachos (for a particular restaurant) or cheese, which is very refreshing from other Whole30s I have done. If you asked me on my first few Whole30s if I would extend it even one day, I would say there is no way, no how. I think the only way I won't extend it the next few days is if I just fail at meal prep, especially since I work until like 10 PM and the last thing I want to do after working 12+ hours is to make a mess in the kitchen.

I am not doing a reintroduction this time, since this is not my first Whole30, but I am excited to discover my food freedom. I think this time I will actually achieve it. I am really surprised on how few cravings I have been having and I think my sugar dragon is back under control (I think I mentioned previously that I never had a sugar dragon until I got pregnant and since then he has been living high on life). If you put a pint of my favorite ice cream in front of me, I think I am back to maybe having a bite or two. Seriously, a pint of ice cream used to last 6 months in my freezer. Since I got pregnant it wouldn't last 6 days (or likely even 3 days!) And don't even get me started on Sonic's milk shakes....I am not entirely sure how I am going to do the 90% Whole30. I am thinking 2 "cheat" meals a week. "Cheat" meal is probably not the right word because it makes it sound like I am being cheated the remaining meals, when I am actually pretty happy eating on plan or if I just want a side of quinoa or add some cheese to an otherwise complaint salad, maybe those only count for half of a "cheat" meal. I can absolutely see there being some weeks where I don't want these off plan meals and maybe some weeks I have an extra. I don't want to be too strict, because that to me is not food freedom. But I definitely want to eat better and lose all of this weight (and not need coffee, even if I want it)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 26

Breakfast (8:00 AM): sausage, sweet potato "pancakes" and strawberries with coconut

Lunch (12 PM): Cobb salad.

Snack: A small handful of dried bananas

Dinner (7:30 PM): Mexican inspired cauliflower rice with ground beef with some guac , pineapple

Weird. Today I had a slight headache all day. In the evening I gave up and took some pain killers. It was more annoying than anything. I drank so much water and had a decent amount of carbs all day. Might just be work stress though. Otherwise day 26 went okay. I also packed snacks for the weekend so that I can at least be compliant....maybe hungry and not the best example of Whole30, but compliant. I guess I'll update everyone on Monday how this weekend went! Happy Super Bowl everyone!

Day 27

Breakfast (8:00 AM): Eggs with onions and spinach, hash browns in ghee, strawberries and coconut

Lunch (11:30 AM): Egg scramble with tomato, mushrooms, spinach, avocado and onion, breakfast potatoes. (I definitely ate too much this meal, but I did not expect a lot from dinner so I wanted to make sure I was not starving and eating a ton of snacks post dinner)

Dinner (4:30 PM): Burger with avocado and salsa, lettuce wrapped. I asked if it was complaint and had them take off the 1000 island dressing, bun and cheese. I have a feeling there was something in the patty that was not complaint, because like two hours later I was pretty bloated. It could be that I ate so many eggs that day or a huge lunch, especially since I have done a reintroduction before and really did not have any issues except with sugar effecting my sleep and my body burns fat way better on the Whole30. Also, the restaurant was definitely more upscale so I would be very surprised if they had something other than spices, which yes could have sugar, in their patty. I asked the right questions so I am just going to chalk it up to eating so much (or eating out twice in one day)

Day 28

Breakfast (8:00 AM): sausage, Eggs with onions and spinach and guac

Lunch (11 AM): Egg scramble with tomato, basil and avocado, breakfast potatoes

Superbowl Party (3:30 - 7 PM): Definitely grazed. Carrots, cucumbers and plantain chips with guac, chicken and carne asada with salsa, onions and cilantro. I think the meat was complaint. My husband asked the questions for me. It was a good sign they said they did not think the carnitas were complaint.

Whew. Made it through this weekend. I was definitely worried, but I think I did okay. Probably not ideal. I felt pretty good. I definitely did get questioned Saturday night if I was pregnant since I abstained from the wine. I said I wasn't, which is true. I think some people were disappointed, but at least I didn't have to answer questions about what whole30 is and such. I am really surprised that I am not excited it is almost over. I think I may kinda do a reintro for dairy and gluten, since I am going to do a 90% whole30 diet afterwards anyway. However, my husband is cooking for us on Valentines day and it is absolutely not going to be complaint. It is also a surprise. So maybe dairy on Saturday and then gluten the next Monday or Tuesday and then likely Whole30 the rest of the week after Valentines day.

Also, I am not sure if it is the Whole30 or I am just taking better care of my nails, but my nails have not broken once since Christmas. usually my nails I keep very short because they always break. I generally can't keep them much longer than where my fingers end because they break so easily. I have been keeping them right at my finger length or even a hair longer and not a single one has broken. Granted, I have been clipping and painting them every weekend, which is probably at least helping. I will say, the last few days I have had some pimples on my chin pop up. Nothing huge, but definitely not as clear as I would have hoped. Not sure if it's due to stress though.

Only 2 days + 3 left!

Day 29!

Breakfast (8:00 AM): leftover egg scramble with tomato, basil and avocado and breakfast potatoes from yesterday. Fruit with coconut

Lunch (11:30 AM): Mexican inspired cauliflower rice with ground beef with some guac and half a sausage. Definitely not enough food, but I did not food prep so it's freezer meals for me this week.

Snack (3:30):  Didn't make it. Had some mangoes and pistachios

Dinner (7:30 PM): Chicken Veggie soup. Not really that hungry from snacking

Almost done! I am writing this on my last day. I am debating about not doing my extra three days and trying to get an extra reintroduction in prior to Valentines day, specifically non-gluten grains. I don't think I will, because really the only things I truly miss are dairy (cheese and real butter) and the occasional bread (I love sourdough). However, I live in SoCal and the tacos and tortilla chips are literally everywhere, so I will be adding back corn into my diet for sure. I have done Whole30 introductions before and really had no issues, but I do know people change over time and what is more body changing than having a baby! Since I vow to do 90% whole30 after, I may just see if I can eat Whole30 several days (or a week) after Valentines day and try to see if I can pick up my reintroduction after. I am sure the effects, if any, will not be as pronounced. I am just trying to figure out what is more important. My promise of 30 days (even though my slip ups were purely accidental and I did not even notice at the time) or a reintroduction.

Thoughts?

Day 30!!!!!!!!!

Breakfast (8:00 AM): hardboiled eggs, sausage, strawberries with coconut

Lunch (11:30 AM): Mexican inspired cauliflower rice with ground beef with some guac and half a sausage, some dried banana and pistachios. Like yesterday, my portion was not big enough so I added some additional items to make me fuller.

Dinner (7:30 PM): Chicken Veggie soup.

Writing this on day 31, so my results will follow. Today was really good. Pretty even energy. Unlike previous Whole30s, I am not super excited to be done. I am happy that I am done. But I am also not daydreaming about what non-complaint thing I can’t wait to have. I am really proud of that. On previous Whole30s, I have lost more weight and did not slip up, but just the fact that I am not super excited to be off of the Whole30, makes me probably the most proud of this one. I am hopeful that this means I will be more thoughtful of what I put in my body after Whole30. I want to continue to log (obviously pointing out anything non-compliant). I promise to go easy on the details of anything crazy off plan for those trying to get through their Whole30s. I am sure no one wants to hear about an amazing dessert I had, especially on their Day 10, when it is easy to quit! However, I do want to be mostly complaint and logging it will definitely show me if it is time for a mini reset or even another Whole30.

Whole30 results!

Overall, I think this Whole30 was a success. It had its ups and its downs, but I definitely feel more confident in my future choices after this Whole30 than others. I am still split if I am going to go through Friday and try to get in some reintroductions before Valentine’s Day. So I wanted to give my scale and non-scale victories today, in case I decide to reintroduce today. The scale victories I got from here: https://whole30.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/ (edited for length) So here we go!

Scale/Measurable Victories! (Measurements take on day 3)

Weight: 166.5 pounds (start), 153.4 pounds (end)

Waist: 32.25 (day 3), 29.5 (end)

Hips: 42.25 (day 3), 41.5 (end)

Chest: 41  (day 3), 39.5 (end)

I lost 13.1 pounds (8.1 of those are pure fat!) and 5 inches!

Non-Scale Victories!

Physical (Outside)

Clearer skin – yes! I did break out a little, but that is likely due to stress

More youthful appearance – maybe, but I started using anti-aging cream in December

Longer, stronger nails – I think so! Could be my new nail care routine, but I am sure Whole30 helped

Flatter stomach, Leaner appearance, Clothes fitting better, Less bloating – clearly based on my scale and measurable victories

Less dimpled skin – if these means less cellulite then I guess, but that is likely due to fat loss. Prior to pregnancy (and weighing a lot less) I have zero, do I have less than when I started Whole30, yes?

You feel more confident naked – Yes! Still a long way to go, but definitely my self-esteem is through the roof

Physical (Inside)

Fewer PMS symptoms – I think so. Less cramping but my back pain did not decrease

A more regular monthly cycle – not sure how anyone can know this doing only 30 days

You don’t get sick as often – my daughter got sick right at the beginning of mine. In the mornings I am coughing like I have bronchitis, but I never got sick. I am usually the first one to get sick if I am around someone that is sick

No more seasonal allergies – it rained through most of my Whole30 so  who knows

No more asthma – Never been diagnosed, but usually extreme cold is very hard on my lungs and I do have a rescue inhaler. When I have used it frequently during the winter, it has generally been in places it has been colder than what I have experienced this winter, but I have only used it once this winter and it was a very cold night and someone lit a cigarette up near me. So possibly.

An improvement in your specific symptoms or condition – I’ll use this one for a lower resting heart rate. I was around 64-69 BPM before and during my Whole30 I was between 59-64 BPM!

Mood, Emotion, and Psychology

You’re nicer –probably depends on who you ask

You’re more optimistic – I think so

You’re generally happier - definitely

No more sugar cravings – yes! I am so glad I am back to where I was pre-pregnancy.

No more carb cravings – yes, but we will see how the next few weeks go

Brain Function – I don’t think so

Sleep – hard to tell. I think so. But I had a sick baby who was not sleeping through the night and/or joining me in bed.

Energy

Your energy levels are consistently high – yes!

More energy to exercise – I get energized after I do my tread and work sesh!

You no longer need sugar or caffeine to prop up your energy – sugar was N/A before. I have definitely needed caffeine throughout my Whole30. Not regularly, but also my sleep was all over the place (see above)

Sport, Exercise, and Play

You started exercising – walking yes. I hit 10k steps every day of my whole30!

Food and Behaviors

You have a healthier relationship with food – yes!

You practice mindful eating - hopefully

You have abandoned yo-yo dieting forever – hopefully!

You don’t use food for comfort, reward, punishment, stress management – we will see after reintroduction

You have fewer cravings – yes! This time there was a huge difference in this! Previous Whole30s I would dream about all of the things I could not have. This one has been very tame. Yes, there are things that I will deem “worth it occasionally”, but I think I am more on track this time

When you do indulge, it’s deliberate – I really want to work on this, post Whole30

Lifestyle and Social – none of these were really too applicable. I used to food prep a lot and I have done previous whole30s, so this one was much easier, because I knew a lot (not everything) beforehand

• 3 months later...

Well I failed. Work got too crazy (we are talking 80-100 hour work weeks) and all of my gains are now gone. My diet has been worse than before. I kept a reasonable diet for a few weeks, but when we hit about 90 hours a week I just lost all sorts of control. Work finally quieted down in early April, but the terrible diet remained....and I got sick. I am finally starting to get better after a month and a half long cold/bronchitis/walking pneumonia illness. So I am kicking off an end of spring whole30(60?).

Well I actually started Tuesday. I did get a starting weight (167.2, so about where i was last time). I may do measurement this weekend, but I would imagine I am around where I was my last Whole30. I realize that this is not Whole30 and not the rule, but the medications I am on have me so so so tired, even though otherwise I am feeling way better.

Regardless, I wanted to start my Whole30(60?) off ASAP. Today's food (which is pretty similar to the last two days, minus the chipotle bowl I had last night and promptly threw up from coughing too hard so I guess that does not count anyway)

Breakfast (10 AM - late because I had a dentist appointment and forgot to eat before I left the house): strawberries and coconut and a chicken veggie soup (made a huge batch and you will see this pop up later)

Lunch (12 PM): large salad with eggs, bacon, carrots, guac and compliant primal green goddess dressing. My veggie variety isn't so great, but once again, I am so tired I am not chopping up anything that is not necessary and my pre-made soup has a bunch.

Dinner (7 PM ish? Have not had it yet): Spaghetti squash with lots of meat sauce and tossed with spinach. I have a lot of the meat sauce frozen. You will see it again. I am thinking about the zoodles I saw at costco?

I am digging the salad and got the bacon from costco so I have a lot of it. May do the salads again next week. Definitely want to roast some veggies this weekend though. Maybe make some mexican-ish breakfast bowls that I have loved in the past? We will see! Definitely already did some stocking up on compliant things like coconut, sausages, prosciutto etc. Have some more items on my list I need, but hey! One day at a time!

Good luck with your new Whole30! It's so hard to maintain good diet and exercise when work gets too busy/stressful. Same thing happened to me over the past few months, and I ended up losing many of the gains I'd made in my previous W30 last year. So here I am trying once more to get back in shape in the springtime!

10 hours ago, doubledee said:

Good luck with your new Whole30! It's so hard to maintain good diet and exercise when work gets too busy/stressful. Same thing happened to me over the past few months, and I ended up losing many of the gains I'd made in my previous W30 last year. So here I am trying once more to get back in shape in the springtime!

Good luck! When did you start? I have not started re-exploring the forum yet! But I plan to get caught up in the next few days.

Day 4

Feeling so much better today. Still tired from the medications but so much less so than the previous days. Suddenly meal prep this weekend seems less daunting. Took some measurements this morning and they are pretty similar to the last go around so I am not going to bother posting. Some more background. I am debating about whether I want to stop at 30 days or try 60 days. For vanity reasons I want to try 60, because I know I will lose weight and we have some events in September I want to shed some decent pounds for, plus I am tired of being tired! Maybe going longer in a less busy time (though we plan to move in the next few months so maybe not all that less busy) will help it stick and I can go back to my pre baby habits, which were way better than the last few years. I also plan on getting some more exercise in. I was doing better in April, but then the illness set in and I am no longer doing any sort of exercise because I haven't been able to talk for prolonged times, let alone work out. Also, I am craving roasted veggies so I am thinking next week's dinners are going to include some!

Breakfast (8 AM): strawberries and coconut and a chicken veggie soup

Lunch (12 PM): large salad with eggs, bacon, carrots, guac and compliant primal green goddess dressing.

Dinner (7 PM ish? Have not had it yet): Have not decided whether I am going to defrost some more spaghetti squash or make some breakfast for dinner! I love hash browns and eggs!

Day 5 (Saturday) and Day 6 (Sunday)

Wound up doing breakfast for dinner on Friday. I love breakfast. Runny eggs, hash browns, a hash of wilting produce in found in my fridge (carrots, celery and onions), apple sausage and guac. Had a pretty good weekend. Not crazy active since I am trying to recuperate, but I am definitely feeling way better. Not going to go crazy Monday or Tuesday, but I definitely want to start walking and then working out again.

Saturday:

Breakfast (8 AM): Runny eggs, hash browns, a hash of wilting produce in found in my fridge (carrots, celery and onions), apple sausage and guac. Yep. Had the same thing as the night before. I could probably eat this every meal.

Lunch (1:30 PM, napped most of the morning so it was a little late): spaghetti squash with lots of meat sauce and tossed with spinach.

Dinner (7 PM): seasoned chicken, big salad and guac. Husband made it and he made sure to check in with me to make sure the seasoning was compliant. So sweet of him.

Post-dinner (9:30 PM) Husband cut up some cantaloupe. Had some of it. It was pretty good. Not a huge fruit person, but couldn't say no to a few bites.

Sunday:

Breakfast (8:30 AM): scrambled eggs with spinach and onions, hash browns, apple sausage and guac. Husband made this. Light on the veggies but oh well.

Lunch (11:30 PM): steak kabobs, scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes. One of my favorite places to eat (whole30 or not). Got this dish, and a few others, cleared by them last whole30. Just had to pass the toast off to my husband and daughter.

Dinner (7 PM): leftovers from lunch

Meal prepped Sunday afternoon. I should be good for the week. Just need to sautee the zoodles and warm the sauce and mushrooms for dinner during the week. The time is whizzing by. Definitely 60 days does not seem to difficult right now (though we will see).

On 6/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, doubledee said:

Thanks! I'm on Day 20 today, so I'm getting there.

Nice! I feel like the back end can be hard cause you are so close. I think I want to do 60 days, since I have some weight loss goals (yes not the true meaning behind it, but I know I will drop weight). Plus I really want to feel less tired and have strong nails again. Plus I am trying to kick the junk food habit (i.e. eat what my body needs and not the whole plate of nachos haha)

Day 7 (Monday)

Whoooo! Feeling pretty great already. Lot's more energy, though maybe that's more just perspective since I have been sick for the last month and a half. Toddler did not sleep well last night, but I still feel pretty good regardless. If I can get in a little early to work tomorrow, might do some time on the walking treadmill. My next goal is to start moving again.

Breakfast (8 AM): Mexican inspired breakfast bowls (peppers and onions, chicken, eggs, hash browns, salsa and guac)

Lunch (12 PM): large salad with eggs, bacon, carrots, onions and compliant primal greek goddess dressing. Had some strawberries an hour or so after.

Dinner (7:30): Zoodles, sauteed mushrooms and lots of meat sauce

Since I meal prepped, this is pretty much what I am going to eat. Accidentally bought a bunch of strawberries but my breakfasts are so big I don't need the extra food so I am going to try to eat it with lunch, but I figure since I am going so long between lunch and dinner that if I eat it as a snack it's not a big deal. I am definitely trying to snack less this go around.

Day 8 (Tuesday)

Seem to be falling into this very easily. Plates of cookies and brownies were brought to my training on Monday and Tuesday and I was not even tempted (granted I am generally a salty over sweet person anyway. I know there are harder days coming up, but it seems like this is going very well. Definitely no tiger blood yet, but I feel like I am in a better mood and more rested (though it is really hard to tell since I was sick for so long before I started and that probably help mask the first few day symptoms that are normal)

Breakfast (8 AM): Mexican inspired breakfast bowls (peppers and onions, chicken, eggs, hash browns, salsa and guac)

Lunch (12 PM): large salad with eggs, bacon, carrots, onions and compliant primal greek dressing. Had some strawberries around 5 to tide me to dinner. I thought I was going to eat dinner later than I actually did.

Dinner (6:30): Zoodles, sauteed mushrooms and lots of meat sauce (smaller portion than last night) but added a chicken sausage. I was pretty hungry yesterday evening.

The rest of this week is going to be pretty busy. Hopefully this doesn't get harder!

Day 9 (Wednesday)

Holy Moly! I was so hungry today (and a little tired in the afternoon/evening). Just wanted to eat everything, though surprisingly it was not something like a chip craving or whatnot. I mean would have enjoyed chips, but i was just HUNGRY. I would have eaten stuff I don't even particularly enjoy if I had to. Still felt pretty good, but significantly more tired (though that may be from work being hectic)

Breakfast (8 AM): Mexican inspired breakfast bowls (peppers and onions, chicken, eggs, roasted postatoes, salsa and guac)

Lunch (12 PM): large salad with eggs, bacon, carrots, onions and compliant primal greek dressing.

Snack (2:30 PM): Strawberries

Snack (4:00 PM): Starving! Handful of pistachios, lots of dried mangoes and about half a meat stick

Dinner (7:30): Breakfast for dinner! Potatoes (same as the roasted potatoes I made for my breakfast bowls, which I just realized I have been calling hash browns the last two days, apple sausage, big pile of sauteed mushrooms and a fried egg. Didn't do a plated fat since my egg and sausage were literally glistening in bacon fat and I used tons of ghee when I batch made the mushrooms this weekend..

Hopefully this was a one day issue, since my breakfasts and lunches were the same as the two days prior and if anything I felt too full those days. If not, maybe I need a little more fat at lunch next week, though I don't think I am doing salads for lunch next week. Might mix it up. I don't think I would get bored, but I want to make sure I don't.

Day 10 (Tursday)

Today was stressful. Very busy day at work. Even the client asked if I was stressed. Haha. Took a walk in the morning to get some coffee and that calmed me down for a while. By the afternoon, I was less stressed, but definitely was a mentally trying day. Even though I had a mostly prepped dinner, I decided to pick up dinner (and it worked out because my husband was craving a burger anyway.) Surprised that I was not super jealous of his onion rings. I was not even tempted (granted I definitely will be eating some in my food freedom, but just hopefully I can stop when I no longer get as much happiness from them instead of eating a full order!)

Breakfast (8 AM): Mexican inspired breakfast bowls (peppers and onions, chicken, eggs, roasted potatoes, salsa and guac)

Lunch (12 PM): large salad with eggs, bacon, carrots, onions and compliant primal greek dressing.

Snack (3:30 PM): Strawberries

Dinner (7:30): Burger, lettuce wrapped with guac and less all non-compliant toppings from the Habit

Hunger was back down to normal, so it must have been a one off thing. All things considered, feeling pretty good!

Day 11 (Friday)

Well I am super behind......Anyway. Friday was pretty good. A little more tired than Thursday. Overall a pretty blah day.

Breakfast (8 AM): Husband ate the last of my peppers on Thursday, but he did make up for it by grilling a bunch of chicken and asked what I could have on mine and make me some spice only legs and thighs (though he packaged the thighs with the ones with the BBQ sauce chicken, so I will have to pass on those). I made a random bowl of things. Roasted potatoes, some diced chicken and a bit of eggs from the bowls, salsa, guac, a chicken leg and mushrooms.

Lunch (12 PM): large salad with eggs, bacon, carrots, onions and compliant primal green goodess dressing.

Snack (3:30 PM): Strawberries

Dinner (6:30): Zoodles, sauteed mushrooms and lots of meat sauce

Day 12 (Saturday)

Saturday was a good day. Got my nails done. Picked up a few things at Sprouts and found out they have a bunch of Whole30 compliant sauces. Shockingly they are more expensive at Sprouts than Whole Foods so I only got the Primal Golden BBQ, because my husband made a bunch of chicken, and the Primal Creamy Ranch for my lunches this week. I have tried another compliant BBQ sauce (Primal Noble) and while I did not mind it, it definitely was not a favorite. I really like the Primal Golden BBQ sauce though!

Breakfast (8 AM): Made a big family breakfast. Bacon (which my husband and his co-conspirator, the dog, ate almost all of the leftover bacon!), fried eggs, mushrooms, hash browns. Missing a plated fat but it did not seem to affect my fullness this time, likely because I used a lot of ghee and bacon fat cooking my food. Also, so strawberries.

Lunch (1 PM): Zoodles, sauteed mushrooms and lots of meat sauce 

Dinner  Pt. 1 (5:00): Chicken leg and primal golden BBQ sauce.

Dinner  Pt. 2 (6:30): Chicken leg and primal golden BBQ sauce, roasted potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, onions, bell peppers and carrots. I was going to add a dollop of guac but I was not too hungry, so I just ate the veggies and chicken.

Day 12 (Saturday)

Busy day! Church, daughter's swim practice (husbands turn to go in with her) and a Costco run after my daughter's nap. Had some greek yogurt in the fridge that I obviously can't eat so I am making frozen yogurt with it. Made two batches. Obviously can't taste it so hopefully it is good.

Breakfast (8 AM): fried egg, slice of bacon, chicken sausage, cantaloupe and hash browns.

Lunch (1 PM): two lettuce wrapped sliders with onions, tomato and avocado

Dinner (7:30): Roasted brussel sprouts, onions, bell peppers and carrots and chicken sausage. Wasn't very hungry so I didn't eat any salad my husband made so I didn't get my fat, except for what everything was cooked in.

Definitely can tell I am getting smaller. I got some compliant 100% grass fed polish dogs and hot links from Costco. Probably not the best option because they literally taste like the normal kind, but I figure BBQ season is coming so I figured they would be good to have on hand, especially if I do a Whole60. Definitely don't want to be the person on the fourth of July who can only have guac and carrot sticks if we go to a BBQ like we have the past few years.

Day 13 (Monday)

Significantly more tired today. Needed some coffee after lunch, which in turn caused me not to be able to sleep until almost midnight and today (Tuesday) the baby woke up at 5:30. Joy! So as I am writing this I am still tired, though I am going to try tea first today. Yesterday I had some tummy troubles. Nothing significant but I am sure why. Maybe something contaminated my food yesterday? I am leaning towards the restaurant we went to just was not that good so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have the best food handling practices. We had never gone their before and they messed up both of my sliders (one I could eat and the other I could not, but I discovered the problem before I took a bite.) Guessing that, since I have never really had food sensitivities in the past. This is more just a habit reset and hopefully weight loss, which is actually pretty obvious at this point. Cravings are pretty much gone. Definitely look slimmer. Walked 12.9k steps yesterday, including about 45 mins on a walking desk. Had to go slower that I have in the past cause I only have flip flops right now, but I plan to bring better shoes later this week or next week. Feeling a lot of victories right now!

Breakfast (8 AM): Chicken and veggie soup and strawberries with coconut

Lunch: (12 PM): Roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts, onions, bell peppers and carrots and turkey roll ups (lettuce, onion, sprouts, mayo and primal ranch)

Dinner (7:30): Chili and guac. Crispy prosciutto after.

Tried the primal ranch for the first time. Not a huge fan of it, but it tastes good enough to finish the bottle. Really not a fan of the primal mayo (or really the garlic aoili), but I purchased it the last time and it was still good so I figured I would try to eat more of it. It is definitely better in a slaw where you cover up some of the taste with vinegar. Need to do something with BBQ sauce next week. Realized that not only do I have the primal Golden BBQ sauce that I just got (and love) but also a partial bottle of the primal noble BBQ sauce from earlier in the year. Still looks and tastes fine, so even though I am not a huge fan of it, I'll try to finish it off.

With the results I am seeing, I definitely think that right now I am going to try to go for a Whole60 or maybe Whole45 to start with and then just add the remaining two weeks if still going well. I know it is not the point of the Whole30 but I do want to lose some significant weight, though I know it will significantly slow down at some point. That's not the only reason, because my eating spiraled out of control a few weeks after the last one because of how stressful work got so I figure if I go longer in a less stressful time I can eat better. Pre-baby and when I did my first Whole30s, I ate pretty close to whole30, just with greek yogurt, cheese, sometimes oatmeal and the occasional quinoa with maybe one or two meals a week being something completely off plan like pizza. Back then I was food prepping, before I even knew that was a thing! I even food prepped for pretty much my entire busy seasons, with maybe one extra meal I would eat out with the team if the restaurant really seemed worth it to me. I really want to get back to this, because not only did I look and feel better, but I felt more in control (and it was significantly cheaper). Produce is pretty cheap in SoCal, since between California and neighboring Mexico are were like all of the produce comes from, and I tend to buy lots of proteins when they go on sale. For example, avocados during the summer regularly go for 3 for a dollar at Sprouts! Eating out around here is 9-16 dollars a meal. When I had more time and could really plan, I could do a Whole30 for myself only for less than $30 a week. Now with a family I definitely take short cuts so it is more expensive, but certainly less than $9 a meal. Just a bunch of thoughts. We will see as this progresses if that changes....on to Day 14. Two weeks in!

Sounds like you're doing well and really hitting your stride. Regarding the not-so-tasty primal mayo--have you tried making homemade mayo? I am not the sort of person who normally would do things like make my own mayo! But I tried it (using the Whole30 recipe:https://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/ ) and it is surprisingly easy and delicious. I plan to continue making my own mayo, at least occasionally, as I continue on past W30.

1 hour ago, doubledee said:

Sounds like you're doing well and really hitting your stride. Regarding the not-so-tasty primal mayo--have you tried making homemade mayo? I am not the sort of person who normally would do things like make my own mayo! But I tried it (using the Whole30 recipe:https://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/ ) and it is surprisingly easy and delicious. I plan to continue making my own mayo, at least occasionally, as I continue on past W30.

The last time I tried to make mayo (surprisingly before any of my Whole30s), it was so gross I threw it all away and I made sooooo much! I did my first three Whole30s without mayo, so at this point I am just trying to use up what I have and then just go back to not using mayo for my Whole30s. Maybe one day I will try again. When not on Whole30, I'll just probably use the "regular" kind. I really don't eat too many sandwiches and most that I do eat are just for convenience (i.e. long car rides, going to the beach, etc.) so making mayo for one off occasions seems silly, unless our mayo consumption goes up!

Day 14 (Tuesday)

Today, well yesterday, was definitely not my best day. Tired from lack of sleep due to the toddler and totally forgot to get some  time on the walking treadmill until it was too late today. Overall though, mood was good considering the lack of sleep and I did not have any coffee. Did need a small snack around 4:30, but I just think that going between lunch at noon and dinner at 7/7:30 is just a bit much. I can usually make it until 5-6:30, but that last hour I am usually pretty hungry.

Breakfast (8 AM): Chicken and veggie soup and strawberries with coconut

Lunch (12 PM): Roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts, onions, bell peppers and carrots and turkey roll ups (lettuce, onion, sprouts, mayo and primal ranch)

Snack (4:30 PM): handful and a half of in the shell pistachio and a few dried mangoes

Dinner (7:30): Chili and guac. carrots dipped in guac (bacholorette night with my sister and dad, so we had some snacks)

Already can tell today (Wednesday) is going to be rough. Daughter did not sleep through the night and I am pretty sure my time of the month is coming up in the next few days, so double whammy. Just want to sleep. Going to get some coffee after my morning calls.

52 minutes ago, Aliem999 said:

The last time I tried to make mayo (surprisingly before any of my Whole30s), it was so gross I threw it all away and I made sooooo much! I did my first three Whole30s without mayo, so at this point I am just trying to use up what I have and then just go back to not using mayo for my Whole30s. Maybe one day I will try again. When not on Whole30, I'll just probably use the "regular" kind. I really don't eat too many sandwiches and most that I do eat are just for convenience (i.e. long car rides, going to the beach, etc.) so making mayo for one off occasions seems silly, unless our mayo consumption goes up!

I really don't like mayo at all, at least in terms of being able to taste it as mayonnaise. However, I LOVE homemade salad dressings that are mayo-based, and that's honestly where the majority of my homemade mayo goes right now. I'll grab a spoon or two of mayo, add some herbs and/or spices and maybe some extra acid (like lemon juice), thin it up with a little almond or coconut milk... delicious and takes about a minute to whip up a completely customized drizzle for my salad (or leave the "thinning" agents and make a custom dip for veggies).

Just thought I'd toss that idea out there, in case it might help for if/when you try making your own again :)
I definitely prefer my homemade stuff to the store-bought stuff, before and after changing it up to make dressings and dips.

Archived