Megan's First Whole30!

megbeveridge

Hi! I'm Megan and I started my first round of Whole30 on January 1st (new year new me??). I didn't know about this whole forum thing so I'm starting my log on day 11. For some background: 

• I am 25 years old and a little overweight
  • My mother raised me as a huge environmentalist
  • I was a vegetarian for about 4 or 5 years prior to starting W30
  • My relationship with sugar is horribly unhealthy
  • I have depression and anxiety among other things that have made healthy living really difficult
  • I feel like I've been tired my entire life
  • For fun and exercise I belong to a rock climbing gym

When I first heard about this program my response was Absolutely Not. When my partner suggested we try it for January as a reset after the holidays, my response was Heck No, Friend. When I found out it was impossible to do on a vegetarian diet my response was Are You Trying To Kill My Soul? BUT, as I continued to read about it and look into it, I started to come around and by the last week of December I was SO READY. Now I'm in my second week and I still get the vegetarian guilt, but at least my stomach doesn't implode whenever I have chicken! Baby steps, right?

My goals for Whole30 round 1 are to kick my sugar dragon where it hurts, gain energy, start living a healthier lifestyle, and improving my overall mood. So far I've noticed that climbing is easier, sugar has less power over me, and I enjoy "voting with my dollars" for animal proteins from humane and responsible sources. Who knew a diet program could turn an avid vegetarian into an ethical omnivore?

This log is going to include meals, any particularly enjoyable recipes I come across, and a record of my mood and physical symptoms.

Day 11 Breakfast:

2 eggs w pinch of salt

bowl steamed green beans

avocado I cut it open and it was bad :( Time for more grocery shopping

Day 11 Lunch:

1 yellow potato, baked, with ghee and salt

skillet cooked chicken

steamed green beans and snow peas

dry roasted cashews

Mood:

pretty good, even-keeled; more energy than yesterday

Physical:

strong headache in morning, less in afternoon; thirsty!! (forgot my water bottle)

I suddenly realized today that I'm not cold all the time anymore. I feel like my body is using energy more efficiently, keeping itself warm is a lot easier now.

I'll update with dinner and post-climbing feels later!

12 minutes ago, Emily Carveth said:

Hey Megan!

I'm about to start Whole30 and I am glad to see your post! I'm also an indoor climber and I would love to hear how Whole30 is affecting your climbing. I can't wait!

Hi Emily! Since I'm only in my second week, I haven't had a huge amount of improvement, but from the beginning and middle of week 1 to the beginning of week 2, the change was noticeable. The first two times I went I was really low energy, which is typical for the first week. The third time I went, I felt stronger and lighter. It was like I took some kind of performance enhancer! My usual try-hard is a 5.10a, which I crushed and went on to do a 5.10c which was a lot harder, but I projected it and eventually got it. The extra protein and reduced sugar really does help. 

Good luck and keep checking in if you want to hear more about the climbing changes! I hope you find that it helps you too :)

17 minutes ago, megbeveridge said:

Hi Emily! Since I'm only in my second week, I haven't had a huge amount of improvement, but from the beginning and middle of week 1 to the beginning of week 2, the change was noticeable. The first two times I went I was really low energy, which is typical for the first week. The third time I went, I felt stronger and lighter. It was like I took some kind of performance enhancer! My usual try-hard is a 5.10a, which I crushed and went on to do a 5.10c which was a lot harder, but I projected it and eventually got it. The extra protein and reduced sugar really does help. 

Good luck and keep checking in if you want to hear more about the climbing changes! I hope you find that it helps you too :)

Dang girl! I'm still on 5.7's and 5.8's! Good for you!!

Day 12 Breakfast:

2 eggs

Compliant bacon

Air fryer breakfast potatoes

Day 12 Lunch:

??? Somehow I can't remember

Day 12 Dinner:

Whole Foods mahi mahi

Roasted brussels sprouts

Sweet potato mash with ghee

Mood: 

Roller coaster! Extremely low early in the day, feeling good in the afternoon/evening, back down before bed.

Physical:

Exhaustion. I was supposed to head to the climbing gym early in the day, but I was so physically and emotionally drained I didn't make it there.

Day 13 Breakfast:

2 eggs

Skillet potatoes with bell peppers

Day 13 Lunch:

Emergency Rx bar (walked a couple miles downtown in the snow and didn't find anywhere to get compliant food)

Day 13 Dinner:

Sheet pan:

2 chicken thighs

Yellow potatoes

Green beans

Rainbow carrots

Onions

Coconut aminos

EVOO

Mood:

Much better! Generally more positive and stable. Walking four and a half miles definitely did me some good. 

Physical:

More headaches, definitely due to lack of water. I seem to rely on the water bottle to keep me accountable, but I lost it sometime on Friday. Higher energy and appropriate fatigue after exercise. 

Day 14 Breakfast:

2 eggs

compliant bacon

breakfast potatoes

Almost halfway there! I definitely need to find my water bottle and get a stand-in in the meantime. I do not drink water if I don't have a constant reminder. For now I'm using a pint glass at work and a travel coffee mug at home. It's just not as effective.

Day 14 Lunch:

One and a half chicken sausages cut up over salad

Romaine salad with cherry tomatoes and lemon dressing

Fresh strawberries

Day 14 Dinner:

Whole30 white chicken chili

Mood:

Generally neutral, definitely unfocused at work

Physical:

No headache! Some muscle soreness from walking in snow (it is definitely harder, especially for over 4 miles!). No digestive problems.

Day 15! 

Of course my halfway point would end up being kind of a fail. Not in terms of being non-compliant, but in terms of preparation. I intended to prep my lunches every night before and just have to pack them up in the morning. Last night I completely forgot to put anything together after dinner and the morning was so chaotic with the ice and a slight wardrobe issue that I never had time. I'll have to go out and buy lunch somewhere. I was rushed for breakfast so I didn't get to finish everything before I ran out the door. 

Day 15 Breakfast:

2 eggs, omelette style

half avocado

green beans (started with about a cup, probably ate half)

I'm working on getting my water bottle back! Hopefully I'll have it soon and it wasn't taken by anyone! 

Day 15 Lunch:

Greek salad (no feta, compliant dressing)

Mediterranean kabob chicken

Unsweetened hot tea

Fun time getting lunch today! I ordered over Grubhub from a restaurant near my office. I asked for no cheese of course because of the program. What came scattered and crumbled all over it? Feta. So as it serves me right, I had to walk over to the restaurant with my receipt in hand and ask for a new salad, fully acknowledging that yes, this place is a block from my office and yes, I did have it delivered like a total bum. In the end it was made right and the salad was delicious!

Day 15 Dinner:

Mahi mahi fillet

Sauteed kale with sea salt

1/2 avocado

Mood

Generally content. Got some good news so I was happy most of the evening. 

Physical

Nothing really to report. I've been breaking out for the past week, but I think that's more hormonal than food related. I also got a big rash on my face from a scarf I wore last week :(

On 1/11/2019 at 2:12 PM, Emily Carveth said:

Hey Megan!

I'm about to start Whole30 and I am glad to see your post! I'm also an indoor climber and I would love to hear how Whole30 is affecting your climbing. I can't wait!

Climbing update! Last night I went to a different climbing gym and did some really difficult climbs. I was tired and it was strenuous, but I was able to think and power through them better than I would have expected, especially the ones with crimps (small, shallow holds that require a lot of finger strength) all over the place. The only big problem I had was low blood sugar. I had no fruits all day so I didn't have enough sugar to really get me through. I left a little early and ate an Rx bar that I had with me just in case. Tonight I'm bouldering, so there should be another update coming!

Day 16 Breakfast:

Two slices bacon (fat)

One large chicken sausage (protein)

One cup steamed green beans (veggies)

Day 16 and officially over the hump! I haven't really succumbed to food boredom yet, but I'm ready to fight it when it comes. Eating green beans for breakfast seems weird even now. I never really liked sausage before I went vegetarian, but this chicken apple sausage from Whole Foods is so good! It has just enough sweetness to feel like breakfast (to me) and it's so convenient. I also cooked it with the bacon so it's extra tasty!

Lunch should be a salad with grape tomatoes, strawberries, and lemon with a chicken thigh, but I'll officially update that later.

3 minutes ago, Emily Carveth said:

@megbeveridge so headaches are normal? I'm on Day 3 and I feel like crap! Both head and body aches. I figured it is because I am detoxing off all the sugar I've been eating. I have zero appetite! Definitely going to keep going through, I want to get ALL this bad junk out of my body!

Headaches are totally normal! It's most likely the sugar as you said. I haven't had headaches in a couple days now, but I've been reducing sugar day by day and now I think my body is used to it. After the first week most of my headaches were from lack of water. Definitely drink a ton of water and take medicine if you need it! There's no reason to be miserable.

Day 16 Lunch:

Romaine salad with tomatoes, strawberries (3), and lemon (veggie)

Chicken thigh (also cooked in the morning with the bacon) (protein + fat)

Clementines: 2 small (fruit)

Day 16 Dinner:

2 chicken thighs (protein)

Yellow potatoes mashed with ghee and garlic (starchy veggie and fat)

Steamed broccoli cuts: about 1.5 cups (veggie)

Day 16 Snack:

Rx bar for heavy workout recovery (fruit, protein, and fat)

Mood:

Pretty positive all around. Not very high or low in emotion, but stable. Definitely distractible.

Physical:

Felt pretty good, but a bit groggy in the morning. No headaches or body aches. Went climbing in the evening and did a post-climb workout. I felt a little weaker, but that was probably due to the heavy climb the night before. Wide awake when trying to go to sleep, poor sleep quality.

Day 17 Breakfast:

I didn't want to eat much before going to the dentist at 9, so I had a banana with almond butter as temporary fuel.

Day 17 Lunch:

2 leftover chicken thighs (protein)

Steamed green beans (veggie)

Sweet potato (starchy veggie)

Dill pickle slices (veggie)

Mandarin orange sparkling water (hydration)

So I fell off the wagon for a bit because starting the evening of day 17 I've been feeling extremely sick. By off the wagon I mean for logging, not for food. The lunch I was supposed to have, and recorded, was never eaten. I had a meeting that ended up being four hours long and didn't get to eat. All I had was green beans and a few bites of sweet potato. For dinner I ended up eating the two chicken thighs I had meant to eat and a chicken breast I was thawing for dinner. I had a huge serving of veggies to go with them. About two hours after eating I started getting crippling pains in my stomach, which continued to be severe through Friday night. Saturday I gradually improved and by this morning I was barely noticing the effects - until I tried to eat chicken or eggs. I can't even think about eating them without getting severe nausea. For lunch today I brought chicken, pasta sauce, zoodles, and fruit, but all I could eat was the fruit. My body has no problem with fruits and veggies. I really don't know what's going on, but I need something to change so I can eat my protein!

Day 21 Breakfast:

Apple and sweet potato hash in coconut oil

Low sodium roasted almonds

Day 21 Lunch:

Strawberries and raspberries

Mood:

Generally steady and positive except about food. I'm really having trouble staying positive about eating at this point. 

Physical: 

Hunger, nausea, fatigue. Had my second allergic reaction to something I was wearing in a week and a half, which left me dizzy and unfocused. Definitely more productive than when I started.

Okay. So.

I'm getting a little frustrated because one of the mods seems to only answer in a passive aggressive or patronizing manor. She doesn't actually help with anything, just states the obvious as if you didn't know. I hope I'm the only one experiencing that, because it's really making me hate asking questions on the forum. I just want to know how to fix the things that are going wrong for me, I don't need to know how many kinds of proteins there are!

Just had to get that out. I wish I had better experiences with the mods.

Day 21 Dinner:

Chicken zoodle soup!

That's right, you read it correctly! I was able to get chicken down in soup form! The little pieces probably helped for digestion and broth is calming for the tummy. I'm so happy that I was able to eat it without pain! Can't wait for the digestive enzymes to come in tomorrow and see what kind of change it makes. 

Day 22 Breakfast:

Turkey bacon (protein)

Banana (starchy fruit)

Almond butter (fat)

Day 22 Lunch:

Chicken zoodle soup (protein, vegetables)

Half avocado (fat)

Berries (low sugar fruit)

Mood:

Pretty good, a little more focused. I've been kind of irritable since yesterday afternoon, but I think it's my anxiety and hormones making me need control over everything. As long as I'm on my own, I'm generally positive.

Physical:

Some stomach discomfort and fatigue. I think finally getting a substantial meal last night helped and I have a large meal for lunch. Body-wise I feel lean and strong. I'll be climbing tonight so hopefully that goes well!

Day 22 Dinner:

Sheet pan meal with turkey tenderloin (protein), fingerling potatoes (starchy veg), and green beans (non-starchy veg) with an olive oil drizzle (fat)

For lunch I actually didn't end up having the avocado. I kind of forgot that I even had it with me! Definitely loved that soup though, it was perfect for the cold winter day.

Mood:

My mood worsened as the day went on. Anxiety and depression gripped me in the evening and while I was trying to sleep. Part of this was work stress, part of it was money stress, and part of it was the stress of water infiltrating my basement from the meter outside. I definitely just felt defeated. This definitely has nothing to do with Whole30, but it does put a damper on my enthusiasm.

Physical:

Exhausted. I got a small burst of energy after eating, but after that it was just seeping out of me.

Day 23 Dinner:

Sheet pan dinner with cubed chicken breast, green beans, and carrots with an olive oil/garlic/coconut amino drizzle

Mood:

Definitely stressed out! Until around 6pm I was anxious and unhappy. Work sucked, my basement still has water in it, and I just didn't know what to do. After that, I made dinner, cleaned a bit, and watched a movie with my dog and I relaxed a lot more. Ended the day feeling good!

Archived