Oils in seeds

_kiragreer

I came across a thread where a moderator had said that oils such as canola oil or sunflower oil are banned unless outside of home when there's no other option (ie dining out) ?? I am having a hard time understanding this. I just purchased pumpkin seeds roasted in canola oil and ate these during my entire round of w30 last time and thought that was fine? I am allergic to tree nuts which is why I've always turned to pumpkin seeds as a go to snack since other nuts are off limits for me. 

I lost 7 lbs when I did whole 30 in the summer and at 5'5, 124 lbs I really do not want to lose any more weight this round! So I need denser snacks with high calories. I am a little confused why something silly like this oil is only "allowed" out of the home in emergencies. little things like this question this program and the intention of it - as some people are just doing it to reset their gut and not necessarily fix a relationship with food/ lose weight or anything of the sorts. Which brings me to the point of the no snacking rule - my digestive system truly cannot handle 3 big meals throughout the day. I cannot force myself to eat that or I will get sick;, 4-6 small meals is what works for me (and many other people) and I thus never understood that rule of the program. 

Any insight is appreciated thank you!

• Moderators

The ruling about the seed oils is actually to provide people an option if they are eating out as we know that it would be nigh on impossible to eat out at a restaurant during the Whole30 should we completely ban these common oils.  We made the ruling solely for eating out which is why it is still not allowed for items purchased to eat in your home or for cooking with.

Not snacking is a recommendation, not a rule and if you find that snacking works best for you, then that's totally fine.  We still suggest instead of hand to mouth snacking that it's more of a mindful mini-meal type situation, but if that's how you want to eat, that's fine.

We can't change the rules based on the reason why people are doing the program.  It would be impossible to have rules for people who are 'just' doing it to reset their gut and alternate rules for people looking to fix a relationship with food so the rules are concrete for everyone and the recommendations are just that - recommendations that for the majority of people are going to allow them to get the most out of the program.

If you're the type of person that wants to understand the "why" behind the rules, I cannot recommend the book It Starts With Food enough! When I first started learning about the program, these little inconsistencies drove me nuts. I didn't understand them and I was immediately thinking of ways I could change things to better suit my needs. But, once I read the book and understood that there is a very sound reason behind every rule, I fully embraced the program and all the rules and recommendations! And I had some wonderful results!

Also, note that you should be able to find pumpkin seeds that don't have unnecessary ingredients such as canola oil. They'd be better for you anyway! 

• Moderators

Yes, limit them at home but not specifically excluded so you can eat out - If you choose to eat those things at home, of course we can't stop you but the post I made above with the why they are not offlimits entirely is accurate in the reasoning so based on that, 'limit at home' would mean to me - don't use them at home but in the event of eating out, go ahead.  Of course your body doesn't know if you ate that item at home or in a restaurant so if you take the amount that a person may occassionally consuming if they ate out and ate it in products in your house, that would be much the same... for someone that eats out frequently, I'd say don't eat this stuff at home... for someone that eats out never, I'd say some pumpkin seeds aren't the end of the world if there's a bit of canola oil on them - this rule with this isn't prescriptive like 'no sugar' or 'no dairy' so you're free to interpret it as you see fit to most fully get the benefits of the program, knowing it's not your best choice.

Archived