Vegenaise

ibwright

Is Vegenaise  a legal mayo on Whole 30? I've been a vegan for many many years and am now going to try the Whole 30 plan.  It seems to have many good (vegan/legal) recipes.  I am going to incorporate meat/chicken/fish into my diet plan.  I will make my own mayo, but I'm just curious if Vegenaise will work as a subsite.  Thank you.

Thanks. I already have it and that's why I'm curious.  Since I'm starting Whole 30, I am buying products that are "legal" on that plan.  I already have Vegenaise and was just wondering if I could use what I have. I'll read the ingredients closely.  Since I haven't actually started (I plan to start Feb 1st) I'm gearing up so to speak.

It probably has at least one of the following: soy, pea protein, brown rice syrup, canola oil.....any one of which would rule it out.   (Canola oil is not for home use, although technically compliant since you'd never be able to eat out otherwise....)

I think there's a egg-less mayo recipe involving coconut butter in one of the Whole30 recipe books.

I'm going to try Whole30 all in (meaning I'll eat meat and eggs/fish & poultry.  I got the book (and all the delicious recipes) from the library. Can I just use this forum for specific questions?  Like where do I get compliant tomato-basil sauce, etc.  I am going to try and get to a Whole Foods store as my coop doesn't carry everything.  I think I'll be fine if I just buy grass-fed/pasteurized food and broil, bake (crock pot) cook.  I'm used to eating and cooking veggies!!  I don't really want to use on-line due to qty, etc. Thank you so much for all your help.  I'm excited about getting started (2/2/19).  I'm gradually cutting out all bread/starches/SUGAR......

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ibwright said:

Can I just use this forum for specific questions?

Definitely

1 minute ago, ibwright said:

Like where do I get compliant tomato-basil sauce, etc.

You have to go to the store and read labels for these types of things.  We dont' know where you live, what is available to you in your area as far as stores etc... so you just go down to the store and look on the shelves. :)

On 1/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, ibwright said:

Is Vegenaise  a legal mayo on Whole 30? I've been a vegan for many many years and am now going to try the Whole 30 plan.  It seems to have many good (vegan/legal) recipes.  I am going to incorporate meat/chicken/fish into my diet plan.  I will make my own mayo, but I'm just curious if Vegenaise will work as a subsite.  Thank you.

I would love to hear more about why you're willing to abandon your vegan lifestyle in favor of eating meat on the Whole30.

I would advise that you consider reintroducing animal proteins FIRST before starting on the Whole30. Start by adding small amounts of eggs or fish to your diet, then add in poultry (starting with lean meats like skinless chicken breast and gradually working your way to fattier meats). That way, your digetstive system has time to adjust. 

Going from ordering a burrito bowl with rice, beans, and guacamole to one with chicken and guacamole [I know the chicken  at Chipotle isn't compliant; this is just an illustration since going from veganism to eating pork is likely to be a slower transition] is likely to be more difficult on the digestive system than going from eating a burrito bowl with rice, beans, chicken, and guacamole  to one without the rice and beans. 

There are a few resources out there on transitioning out of veganism. I would definitely look into those, but the general concensus seems to be that you should add in the meat and THEN cut out the other stuff rather than just replacing all of your beans and grains with meat. 

Oh, if you're interested, Primal Kitchen DOES have a Whole30 approved vegan ranch dressing. There are also recipes out there for compliant mayonaises without eggs. Before anyone attacks me for sugestion vegan subsititutes, I just want to point out that it may help make the transition easier and there is also a chance that your body will not be able to tolerate eggs. (This also gives people with egg allergies an alternative to some Whole30 staples).

Archived