SchrodingersCat doing the thing diary!

SchrodingersCat

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wowsa! Great news on that. I know what you mean that some docs aren't down with something being fixed by diet - I think that tide is changing but there is still a breed of practitioners that want all the credit for their mad prescription writing skills. But to be without vertigo - amazeballs. I feel the same way about the magical disappearance of my plantar fasciitis in my right foot. After its unwelcome companionship for 6 years, to not have it is some kind of miracle!

2 more days and you can join me in the scary reintro part - which I'm not doing very well at since I'm basically not really reintroducing anything out of fear and anxiety. Need to go find my big girl panties and get on with it. maybe your experiences will pave the way for me???

12 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Wowsa! Great news on that. I know what you mean that some docs aren't down with something being fixed by diet - I think that tide is changing but there is still a breed of practitioners that want all the credit for their mad prescription writing skills. But to be without vertigo - amazeballs. I feel the same way about the magical disappearance of my plantar fasciitis in my right foot. After its unwelcome companionship for 6 years, to not have it is some kind of miracle!

2 more days and you can join me in the scary reintro part - which I'm not doing very well at since I'm basically not really reintroducing anything out of fear and anxiety. Need to go find my big girl panties and get on with it. maybe your experiences will pave the way for me???

I wish I could join you in 2 days!! The sulfites I had on day 1-4 mean I'm on a whole 34! I probably don't 'need' to be, I read the "Do I need to start over?" post and the answer is "probably not" but I've had it in my head that I was going to for so long that I'm not mentally prepared to reinto on Thursday LOL

We do have people over on Saturday, and there is potential I will split the difference, do a W32 and reintro a couple of sneaky vodkas on Saturday.

DAY 29!!!! I'm really chuffed at making it this far, and surprised how easy it has been.

Breakfast: Poached egg, The Goods spicy kraut

Lunch: Slow cooked brisket, roasted veggie medley, baby spinach and basil chimmichurri

Dinner: Orange and ginger glazed salmon, sauteed asparagus, baby leaf, radish and cucumber salad with balsamic and oil

2 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Oh - I just remembered you were extending because you got yourself into something non-compliant early on - is that right?? Darn it all - I was hoping you'd be sharing your reintro experiences as I was struggling through my own. Reintro is WAY harder for me than I expected :( 

Okay - carry on Schrod.

Snap! I posted just as you posted!

No salmon tonight, work ended up crazy and I missed the markets. Fish will have to happen Thursday!

Instead we had steak, sauteed asparagus, garlic mushrooms and mixed leaf salad with radish, flaked almonds and lemon tahini dressing.

I've now run out of lemon tahini and home made mayo, though I made basil chimmichurri yesterday, 

Busy busy day today, and it's my Day 30! That day that should have been my WOOT DAY 30!!!!!! but isn't lol.

I am wearing a dress to work I haven't been able to wear in months, and got my first "OMG you've lost weight!" comment, so that was nice :)

We have a friend over tonight, so I'm brainstorming easy ideas for dinner - IF, and its a big if, I manage to get out at lunch I might buy some butter chicken spice and make a curry with rice for the fellas and cauli rice for me.

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, The Goods spicy kraut

Lunch: Slow cooked brisket, roasted veggie medley, baby spinach and basil chimmichurri

Dinner: Probably butter chicken and cauli rice with a side salad.

Day 31!! You know, I'm not even sorry this isn't reintro? I'm not ready. I'm quite happy eating how I'm eating. The weekend will be a challenge, because plans were made before I knew I'd still be fully compliant and not reintro-ing alcohol. So as I've said, I'm open to Saturday being maybe a day 33 reintro to alcohol.

Today:

Lunch: Hot smoked salmon, slaw with chimmichurri

Dinner: Orange and garlic salmon, sauteed asparagus, lemon and herb potato bake, baby leaf salad.

Day 32!

So glad it's Friday. 

Lunch: Hot smoked salmon, slaw with chimmichurri

Dinner: No idea! It's Friday so I have a little more time to make something. I do have prosciutto in the fridge, maybe some chicken thighs with sage wrapped in proscuitto in a tomato sauce, with sauteed veg. 

7 hours ago, megbeveridge said:

The time difference between us is wild! It's 10:00 here on Friday and I'm at work! You're dinner sounds so good. I can't get into cauli rice, but I think with that combination it would be divine. 

halloooooo from the future! LOL :D

I'm picky with the cauli rice, it needs to be with something saucy, and it's not my favourite but I'll eat it. 

Today is my biggest challenge to date - my BFF is coming over for movie night and she's good with the peer pressure. If her GF isn't drinking, I'll have some solidarity, but we shall see! 

Brunch: Omelete with mushroom, asparagus , baby spinach and gravlax

Dinner: Because it's movie night I'm doing a 'load your plate' platter:

• Crispy pork belly bites with apple sauce
  • Lamb and rosemary meatballs with garlic and lemon tahini dipping sauce
  • Wings, 1/2 with Frank's Red Hot and Ghee, 1/2 with lemon pepper seasoning
  • Crispy Skinned duck breast bites with mandarin segments and mint
  • Roasted duck fat potatoes
  • Baby spinach and arugula salad with baby beetroot and toasted pine nuts

Last night was great, and no temptation to drink! We had a great meal, watched a movie and it was just fun. 

DAY 34!! My official final day before reintro.

Confession: I don't really want to reintro. I don't want legumes. I haven't missed grains. I'm not even dying for dairy, and last night proved I'm not really hankering for a drink. I know, and have read Melissa's post on slow reintro and I might go that way, but right now I'm just like "eh". I have to plan and make lunches for the week, and I don't feel like messing with them.  I was sorely tempted to weigh myself this morning but didn't. 

Anywho, today's food... absolutely no idea. I'm not hungry. Last night's meal was compliant but I ate more than I usually would and there was certainly way more meat than veg!! A salad is definitely on the cards. 

Well, I did it! Whole 34 complete, 30 days completely compliant, first 4 days compliant save for the sulfites (additive 233) in the lemon squeeze I added to my soda water (maybe 2 tsp a day of 99.9% pure lemon juice).

Verdict?

Chronic vertigo for the last 18 months GONE.
Sleep AMAZING.
IBS symptoms GONE.
Heartburn ALMOST GONE, MANAGEABLE WITHOUT MEDICATION.
Weight 9.3kg (20.5lbs) GONE.

My skin isn't amazing, i hoped the redness and dry skin on my face would go, and i never got Tiger blood, and i still wish i had more energy, but the plus sides are overwhelming!

I'm not really keen to start reintroducing. I don't eat a lot of legumes, or rice or corn, I love cheese but haven't missed it yet, and I'm not missing gluten grains either. I made my lunch for today, and it's compliant. I just couldn't think of anything I wanted to add to it. So, it looks like I'm on the slow roll.

I have to say, as a lifelong calorie counter and yoyo dieter, the fact that I've lost so much weight and did not weigh, measure or count a thing (this log is the only place I've journaled what I've eaten) has completely blown my mind. I don't want to change a thing. 

I have a BBQ at a foodie friend's house this weekend, the plan is to avoid legumes, grains and dairy but not sweat whether there is sugar in marinades or dressings, and to have a few adult beverages, then get back to 100% compliant immediately after. Between now and Wednesday, I plan to reintro something if I feel like it, but not force the issue, and Thursday and Friday will be 100% compliant in preparation for Saturday's BBQ.

So anyway, today's food:

B'fast: 2 poacked eggs, hot smoked salmon and Spicy Kraut

Lunch: Za'tar crusted chicken thighs with wombok, carot and celery slaw and lemon garlic tahini dressing

Dinner: Pork chops with roasted sweet potato rounds and broccolini, baby spinach, beetroot and cucumber salad with chimmichuri mayo

On 2/17/2019 at 12:04 PM, SchrodingersCat said:

Last night was great, and no temptation to drink! We had a great meal, watched a movie and it was just fun. 

DAY 34!! My official final day before reintro.

Confession: I don't really want to reintro. I don't want legumes. I haven't missed grains. I'm not even dying for dairy, and last night proved I'm not really hankering for a drink. I know, and have read Melissa's post on slow reintro and I might go that way, but right now I'm just like "eh". I have to plan and make lunches for the week, and I don't feel like messing with them.  I was sorely tempted to weigh myself this morning but didn't. 

Anywho, today's food... absolutely no idea. I'm not hungry. Last night's meal was compliant but I ate more than I usually would and there was certainly way more meat than veg!! A salad is definitely on the cards. 

Where's the WOW button? 20lbs? AWESOME!!

I know this feeling well! Hubs and Gee were eager to get on with introducing right away - I was completely okay with 7 more compliant days (even though the airport/travel was tough). So far I've slow rolled with wine (jury is still out on that one after 3 tries and 3 poor night's sleep!), gin and tonic (once - was okay), corn -also once and was fine, sugar as it shows up in deli meat and my homemade salad dressing (no raging sugar dragon) and wheat bread (also fine - yeah) but, other than when (rarely) those are just in front of me and part of a meal, I've stayed compliant so, my diet is still 90% W30 and I'm okay with that! I have also released the prohibition on store bought chips - I like chips so I have bought some high end, no additive ones a few times and enjoy the break from making homefries. Have not yet reintroduced regular grains, legumes, soy or dairy or a "sugar first" kind of food - no plans to do so at this point.

Good luck - welcome to reintro!!

1 hour ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Where's the WOW button? 20lbs? AWESOME!!

I know this feeling well! Hubs and Gee were eager to get on with introducing right away - I was completely okay with 7 more compliant days (even though the airport/travel was tough). So far I've slow rolled with wine (jury is still out on that one after 3 tries and 3 poor night's sleep!), gin and tonic (once - was okay), corn -also once and was fine, sugar as it shows up in deli meat and my homemade salad dressing (no raging sugar dragon) and wheat bread (also fine - yeah) but, other than when (rarely) those are just in front of me and part of a meal, I've stayed compliant so, my diet is still 90% W30 and I'm okay with that! I have also released the prohibition on store bought chips - I like chips so I have bought some high end, no additive ones a few times and enjoy the break from making homefries. Have not yet reintroduced regular grains, legumes, soy or dairy or a "sugar first" kind of food - no plans to do so at this point.

Good luck - welcome to reintro!!

I was genuinely shocked when I stepped on the scale!!!

I think I'm going to stay compliant until the weekend - there's just not anything I'm dying to reintro! 

Was still super nibbly after dinner so I had a small handful of pecans. I think there wasn't enough fat in dinner. It's actually the first time I've "snacked" since I started. It was only a few, and not looking after dinner, so i guess it was part of the meal. Hope I'm not "slipping" since I'm supposedly "done". 

CONGRATS!!

20 pounds and no urge to eat non-compliant foods is a super big deal! You are amazing!

Do you think the remaining dry/red skin could be a water thing? Otherwise it's probably just genetic and you'll need to keep treating it :/ 

I think the only real up-side to reintroducing is the cheaper groceries. Not having to buy the simplest, most whole foods is much less expensive. All the meats that have no added sugar are marked up. I don't have to buy a gazillion eggs. I can eat less meat, which is an expense in itself, but still stay full. For me, the increase in fresh produce was also costly since it's winter here and everything is out of season. 

If your budget allows you to continue Whole30, definitely go for it! But if not, don't worry too much about the little things. Like you said, a little sugar in a marinade isn't going to be a huge deal in the long run. 

Congratulations again! I'm so happy for you!!

6 hours ago, megbeveridge said:

CONGRATS!!

20 pounds and no urge to eat non-compliant foods is a super big deal! You are amazing!

Do you think the remaining dry/red skin could be a water thing? Otherwise it's probably just genetic and you'll need to keep treating it :/ 

I think the only real up-side to reintroducing is the cheaper groceries. Not having to buy the simplest, most whole foods is much less expensive. All the meats that have no added sugar are marked up. I don't have to buy a gazillion eggs. I can eat less meat, which is an expense in itself, but still stay full. For me, the increase in fresh produce was also costly since it's winter here and everything is out of season. 

If your budget allows you to continue Whole30, definitely go for it! But if not, don't worry too much about the little things. Like you said, a little sugar in a marinade isn't going to be a huge deal in the long run. 

Congratulations again! I'm so happy for you!!

Thank you so much!! 

I think the skin thing is totally non-food related, I have many and varied reactions. It's probably my face deciding it hated my makeup (again). 

I'm really lucky on the grocery front - I have access to huge fruit and veg with amazing, cheap variety and the same with meat. My work is walking distance to the markets, and home is close to multiple F&V shops and great butchers (including sale to the public butches which do great bulk deals). The budget doesn't really bother me, we actually ate pretty much W30 for meals before, but with lots of snacks, treats and takeaway. 

It's day 36 today! I've gotta say - I wish I hadn't stepped on the scale. I used to be a daily weigher and the urge to weigh again this morning was bad. I didn't, and got in the shower straight away but I feel like I kind of broke the spell, if that makes any sense?

Anywho:

B'fast: 2 poacked eggs, hot smoked salmon and Spicy Kraut

Lunch: Za'tar crusted chicken thighs with wombok, carot and celery slaw with chimmichurri mayo dressing

Dinner: Currently uninspired. Maybe chicken.

Dinner was chicken thighs grilled with Gewürzhaus Bavarian Roast Chicken Salt (OMG, so good!), roasted cauliflower with chimmichurri, roasted broccolini and yellow squash and seasoned potato wedges. 

I'm still 100% compliant, but my stupid brain is doing that thing it always does where it tries to convince me I've stuffed it up. Illogical, inaccurate, but there it goes, telling me I'm eating too much fat to lose more weight, I'm eating too many carbs etc etc... It's not even like I'm trying to sabotage myself into going off-plan, its actually like my brain is trying to get me to restrict more, which is silly, and counter-intuitive and not going to help anything.

I wish I'd never weighed myself, to be honest, but now that I have I need to remember that's nothing but a signpost and keep remembering that I'm doing this for health, for well being, for no migraines, for no IBS. Weight loss isn't even in the top 3 reasons (although its sorely needed).

Archived