Prolonged/abnormal period (on BC) & fatigue

Rachel Hall

Hello, 

This isn't so much of a question, more of just an observation. I have been using birth control (intra-vaginal ring, not a pill) for about 6 months, and it's taken a while to get regular periods on this type of BC (not really sure why - maybe because it's more localized than the pill?). Anyway, I started Whole30 on Jan. 3rd and have basically been on my period ever since, and I am not "supposed" to start until next week. I've read lots of posts about hormonal weirdness during Whole30, but I can't seem to get the better of my tiredness, and I think it might be tied to the same hormonal weirdness that's causing my period issues. Does anyone else feel this way? How do you combat the tiredness? As a side note, I know that I'm not anywhere close to anemic, but it's sort of how I'm feeling right now. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance! 

Rachel H.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Rachel Hall said:

Hello, 

This isn't so much of a question, more of just an observation. I have been using birth control (intra-vaginal ring, not a pill) for about 6 months, and it's taken a while to get regular periods on this type of BC (not really sure why - maybe because it's more localized than the pill?). Anyway, I started Whole30 on Jan. 3rd and have basically been on my period ever since, and I am not "supposed" to start until next week. I've read lots of posts about hormonal weirdness during Whole30, but I can't seem to get the better of my tiredness, and I think it might be tied to the same hormonal weirdness that's causing my period issues. Does anyone else feel this way? How do you combat the tiredness? As a side note, I know that I'm not anywhere close to anemic, but it's sort of how I'm feeling right now. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance! 

Rachel H.

You may not be actually clinically anemic but you could have low iron anyway... consider taking an iron supplement (Feramax150 is good) or really up your dietary intake of iron rich veggies and proteins (a quick google search will get you some options).  You can also give us a run down of what you've been eating and see if there's something that stands out - one thing to make sure is if you're eating at least a fist size serving of starchy veggie every day

Thanks for the quick reply! 

I've been eating either sweet potato or rutabaga most days during 1-2 meals. Other veggies include some cabbage, spinach, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and sugar snap peas in various recipes. My main protein sources are eggs, chicken, turkey, and beef. I've been trying to limit my nuts/seed and fruit intake and increase how much water I'm drinking. I do drink 1-2 mugs of coffee per day, but I haven't needed it as much as I did before I started the Whole30. I've been playing with the idea of a very slow re-introduction or extending my Whole30 by a few days if my body doesn't regulate to "Tiger Blood" level by the end of 30 days. Thanks for the feedback; I really appreciate any advice you have, as I'd like to continue a balanced lifestyle after the 30 days are over! 

Thanks, 

RH

Archived