Whole 30 OUTLAWS

Nicole M

Hi :ph34r:

Welcome to the logs for the participants in Outlaw CrossFit's Whole 30 beginning January 7, 2013. Obviously, I am a few days early, but wanted to make sure I have it set up for Monday. If there are any outlaws present... say HI!

Only a couple more days!!!! :D

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All!

Chris and I started on the 1st and I was just telling Nicole that I woke up drooling from dreams about ding dongs (which I don't even like)!!!

Anyhow, my favorite meal so far was green chile hamburgers with sweet potatos. Yesterday I made 12 egg muffins (which are really easy and will last us the Monday-Wednesday mornings-eggs, chicken sausage, mushrooms, and bell peppers) and a roast to have for dinner two nights this week. We had lettuce chicken wraps today for lunch and they were surprisingly filling!

Our biggest challenge so far are our cravings for sweets (cobbler and soda to be exact)! But I've mashed up a half (semi-frozen) banana and canned pumpkin with a little cinnamin in a bowl, which has been a life saver!

I look forward to reading everyones recipes!

Nicole I used this recipe

Paleo Butternut Squash Soup

2 tbs. olive oil

1 diced onion

4 cups diced butternut squash

1 apple, peeled and chopped

32 oz. container of vegetable broth

salt & pepper, to taste

1 tbs. curry powder

1 can coconut milk

diced spicy chicken sausage, cooked & crumbled (optional)

Heat oil on medium in a large sauce pot. Add onion and cook until brown. Add squash, apple and broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, until squash and apple have softened. Puree with an immersion blender, then pour in coconut milk. Season with salt, pepper and curry powder. Stir in crumbled sausage, if including.

I also made this pumpkin chili

Ingredients:

1 medium sweet onion, diced

1 red bell pepper, diced

4 tsp fat of choice (coconut oil, ghee, olive oil)

1 lb ground turkey (93% lean works best)

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 28oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes (no salt added)

1 15oz can pumpkin puree (make sure only ingredient is pumpkin)

1 Tbs chili powder

1 Tbs cinnamon

1 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp ground ginger

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. In a large stock pot heat your fat of choice over medium high heat.

2. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper to taste, and saute until soft and translucent.

3. Add the turkey and saute until browned and cooked through.

4. Add the chicken broth and bring to a low boil. Allow the liquid to reduce by 1/2. *This step is very important, so be patient! If you do not reduce the chicken broth enough before continuing on, you will end up with more of a soup consistency than the creamy thick chili this is meant to be.

5. Reduce heat to simmer and add the tomatoes.

6. Stir in pumpkin until smooth.

7. Add all of the seasonings and stir.

8. Simmer covered over low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, stirring every 20 minutes or so.

As always, I doubled this recipe in order to have leftovers. If you want to try this in the crock pot, brown the turkey and drain the fat before throwing all your ingredients into the crock pot. Cut the chicken broth in half and you will have similar results. 8-10 hours on low did the trick.

and for breakfast cause im sick of eggs already (although today i had my soup) I am going to make these

Zucchini Apple Spice Muffins

Prep time: 10 mins

Cook time: 20 mins

Total time: 30 mins

Serves: 9

Ingredients

• 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup worth)
  • 1 apple (I used gala), shredded (less than ½ cup worth)
  • 1 cup almond butter
  • ¼ cup raw honey
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon ground allspice
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • â…› teaspoon ground cloves
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. So you first need to shred your zucchini. Use the shredding attachment on your food processor or take the long and boring route using a cheese grater. Whichever works.
  3. Once your zucchini is shredded, you need to remove the excess liquid. What I did was place a couple paper towels down on the counter, throw the zucchini on top, then place another paper towel on top of the zucchini then squeezed. The more you squeeze, the more liquid will come out. Genius.
  4. Use more paper towels as needed, but be sure to squeeze until the zucchini feels water-less.
  5. Place zucchini in a bowl.
  6. Now shred your apple. I left the skin on the apple and zucchini, but you don't have to if you're not a fan.
  7. Toss together your zucchini and apple in your bowl then add the rest of your ingredients and mix well.
  8. Place muffin mix in a greased muffin tin or with muffin liners or silicone muffin liners like I used!
  9. Bake for 15-20 minutes of until your toothpick comes out clean after you poke them!
  10. Top with a bit of coconut butter and you got heaven on your hands.
  11. Makes 9 muffins

Kerry, make sure you omit the sugar in the muffins. But, they do sound good!

Sharron, I am not sure about the gum... check around the forums, someone may have asked the same question. Or just post it in the "Can I have..." section :)

Day 1: I work from 12:30- 9 on Mondays, so my eating schedule is always sorta screwed up and I generally only end up eating 2 meals... I need to work on this.

1: 3 fried eggs; raw peppers and carrots with guac; coffee with coconut milk (at about 10:30)

2: Well Fed's Cumin-Lime Carnitas, on mixed greens with peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and guac (YUM!) ( at about 5:15)

Also snacked a bit in the afternoon, cashews and some sliced peppers with guac. Also drank about 2 Brita pitchers of water.

Also, forgot to add this into the last post: I am 30, 5'10, 150 lbs. I am not really concerned about weight loss, just want to change body composition and be healthier (Historically, I have a HORRIBLE diet). I CrossFit roughly 3-4 times per week, and coach a high school volleyball team.

My goals:

1. Make sure that I keep myself accountable by posting every day.

2. DO NOT give in to sugar cravings... this is my downfall, for sure.

3. Follow the meal template every meal-- making sure I eat VEGGIES at every meal, this will be harder for me.

4. Try not to snack in between meals.

Hello everyone,

I started on the 2nd and I must say that I think I finally rounded the corner as far as sugar cravings go. I am starting to have more energy when I first wake up and still have the same amount of energy at 4pm. Keep it up!

My favorite website is called is called www.health-bent.com. It is full of yummy and amazing recipes, my favorite one so far is

The cowboy scramble

http://www.health-bent.com/pork/paleo-cowboy-breakfast-skillet

DAY 1 MEALS

BREAKFAST -

FRITATA W/ EGG TOMATO ONION AND BACON PIECES (MADE ENOUGH FOR 4 DAYS)

BRUSSEL SPROUTS

AVOCADO

1/2 A GRANNYSMITH APPLE SLICED UP

WATER

BOILED WATER W/ LEMON SLICE

LUNCH-

SPAGHETTI SAUCE (CLEAN) MADE W/ LEAN GROUND BEEF OVER CABBAGE NOODLES (MADE A BUNCH FOR A COUPLE DAYS)

MACADAMIA NUTS

1/2 A GRANNY SMITH APPLE SLICED UP

EARL GREY TEA

PREWOD-

EGG WHITE ONLY (HARD BOILED BUT YOLK WAS NOT HARD YUCK)

MACADAMIA NUTS

BOILED WATER W/ LEMON SLICE

POSTWOD

EGG WHITE ONLY (HARD BOILED BUT YOLK WAS NOT HARD YUCK)

MACADAMIA NUTS

DINNER-

SPAGHETTI SAUCE (CLEAN) MADE W/ LEAN GROUND BEEF OVER CABBAGE NOODLES)

EARL GREY TEA

I didnt get enough sleep last nite, so i was tired during strength and WOD. i was also tired today right before lunch, not sure if it had to do with my diet or lack of sleep. i've been trying to paleo for a week before this challenge. i have found my BIGGEST challenge seems to be GUM. i havent found a solution yet... its driving me nuts.

Hey Guys, Started today with the same goals most of us have. Not worried about wieght but want to get healthier and become a better athlete. I am 5'7" 207lbs so losing a few pounds would be good anyway.

Day 1 meals

Bfast - 3 Hardboiled eggs, 1 apple

Lunch - 1 Chicken breast, mixed vegetable salad

Dinner - Power Supply Chipotle Chicken

I need to add some food, so probably more eggs and fruit.

Good luck all!!

Cheers

Cesar

Archived