Day 15 and having issues since Day 6

Since Day 6, I have had constipation and/or constipated BM's. Constipation was something I struggled with before starting this 2nd round. I completed my 1st round about 2 years ago and have made many attempts at a 2nd round since. I am on Day 15 now, furthest I have gotten! But this round, I am having far more issues than the first. I'm sure due to the fact that before starting the first round, I had already been eating pretty good and exercising regularly. The past couple years have been rough, I have tried to eat well, and exercise but was not doing it enough. Anyways, trying to work towards that again, change this new year up!

So since Day 6, I have been having issues. And since Day 14, I haven't been sleeping well. So that and constipation, slight stomach pain and cramping at times. According to my BC, I am getting my period in 3 days. So maybe that could have something to do with it? But since Day 6?!?! I remember during the first round, I got my period the last week of the round, and it was kind of awful. Periods and Whole40 don't mix well! So well no I feel worried and discouraged bc what is next week going to be like?! Worse than the last 9 days?!

I have read in other posts that veggies might help with the constipation? I thought that a lot of veggies contribute to constipation too? I probably haven't been eating enough veggies though...besides lettuces for salads. I feel like I might be eating too much fruit? I've been drinking smoothies a lot with dinners. And having mandarins at night for a snack. I know, you're not supposed to "snack", but I did during the first round too, which fruits and homemade nut bars, and I never had issues! And lost weight too. 

I am bad about drinking enough water but have been rrrrreeally trying to be better about that now. I know I need to drink half by body weight in ounces, which is 77 ounces of water a day. I think I drank that much yesterday, and am shooting for that today. Hoping it helps once I get a few days of the appropriate amount of water in me. Also I don't eat THAT many nuts really. I have ate a handful a few times in the last 9 days though, should I stop that maybe? 

One other thing, my chin is breaking out. That could be from the fact that I am about to get my period though...

I think I have covered all my bases here besides what I've been eating which I will post below now. 

Breakfast: 2 eggs, potatoes, avocado, salsa - I eat this pretty much every single day.

Lunch: Leftovers (Soup-whole30 chili, pot roast, spaghetti squash pasta, porkchops/potatoes/veggies, etc., and other similar meals), or salad with chicken breast (salads usually just lettuce, cucumbers sometimes though lately haven't been buying them bc they taste gross rn, sometimes I throw cabbage in there too) and compliant dressing of course, or I will do lettuce wraps, or I buy frozen patties from Trader Joe's (turkey burger, chicken burger, beef burger etc.) and eat those with some cauliflower rice, or by themselves with Whole30 ranch.

Dinner: Meals I listed above as leftovers (My roommates are doing this with me so we've been taking turns cooking: Pot roast, white chicken chili, cabbage rolls, spaghetti squash casserole, steak/chicken/pork/fish and cooked veggies, stuffed acorn squash.

Thanks in advance for any great feedback I receive!!!

• Moderators

Sorry you're not feeling well.  You've pretty much outlined what I think is going on... you're not eating nearly enough.  A turkey patty with ranch dressing is not a meal... but I think you know that ;)

Greens chew down to almost nothing so you'd need to eat a wheelbarrow full to get an appropriate amount of veggies in a meal if that was the only veggie with your meal.

I think you could be constipated from lack of veggies and it could also be that if you're actually not eating enough there's not as much waste generated so your movements are going to be smaller and spaced further apart.  Take a look at the meal template and really try and strive for matching it at every meal.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein would be as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping so unless you want to add additional eggs to your breakfast, add in some leftover protein - and a couple cups of non starchy veg as well.

It looks like starchy veggies appear quite often in your meals which is fine but when you're not eating enough green veggies (non starchy), the starchy ones can cause constipation.

If you're generally dehydrated and you're only on day two of drinking an appropriate amount of water, that's going to take some time to get your body rehydrated to the point where the liquid is going to start softening things up.  It's great that you're trying to up your fluid intake but really make it a priority to drink that much, especially since you're not eating a ton of veggies.

Also, yes, remove the nuts and nut butters for now, they probably aren't helping the situation and besides maybe exacerbating the constipation, you need to be getting the meals down before you start adding in the snacks.

Also, please remove the smoothies from your dinners.  Smoothies are not recommended for a variety of reasons and pushing veggies off the plate is one of them that is clearly affecting you at this time.  

Start bumping up your meals to match the template and get you 4-5 hours between so you don't need to be snacking at night and prioritize water and veggie improvements and I think that will start to help.

Thank you for the feedback! Next grocery shopping trip, I will definitely be buying more veggies, and cutting back on my fruits and nuts. It's weird bc I feel like I am eating too  much food sometimes, but you're saying I need to eat more. Well, hopefully adding in more veggies will help! 

For water, I would highly recommend buying a 40oz water bottle and making sure you drink two of them a day. It's so much easier to monitor your water consumption when you can break it down in an easy way (i.e., just make sure to drink this one bottle twice a day). 

Hydroflask makes a wonderful 40oz water bottle, but they are pricey. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Carolinelovrr said:

Thank you for the feedback! Next grocery shopping trip, I will definitely be buying more veggies, and cutting back on my fruits and nuts. It's weird bc I feel like I am eating too  much food sometimes, but you're saying I need to eat more. Well, hopefully adding in more veggies will help! 

So that's actually an interesting thought... do you feel like you're eating too much food because you're full all the time or because society tells women that they're not supposed to eat very much?  If it's because you're full all the time, it could be due to the way your meals are composed or it could be because if you're constipated, often that will cause a decrease in appetite.  If it's because it 'looks like too much food based on what a magazine tells us to eat' then shove that thought out the window - you deserve to properly nourish yourself and eating a moderate amount of protein, a bunch of veggies and an added healthy fat is the way it's SUPPOSED to be :)

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Carolinelovrr said:

Not bc of society for sure!

I feel hungry a lot actually, so I eat. I have seconds at dinner, or eat snacks - regular & dried fruit, nuts, deviled eggs. 

Yep, that's due to meal composition so lets try and get those meals matching the template and you'll find within a couple days you won't need to snack as much

Just now, Carolinelovrr said:

What template are we talking about here? :)

The meal planning template link above?

Also another thing I have noticed - Not sure if it's brain fog? But I have held a lot of pressure in the front of my head, top of my nose bridge...like sinus area...I am not sick, nor does my head actually hurt....that could be cause from Whole30 too you think?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Carolinelovrr said:

The meal planning template link above?

Also another thing I have noticed - Not sure if it's brain fog? But I have held a lot of pressure in the front of my head, top of my nose bridge...like sinus area...I am not sick, nor does my head actually hurt....that could be cause from Whole30 too you think?

Yes, the meal planning template - making your meals match those recommendations is going to help you get the most out of the program.

Not sure about the sinus pressure - it is cold and flu season so it might be from that or it could be a detox symptom if your way of eating prior to the Whole30 was particularly bad.  If it gets worse, I'd go to the doctor.

And no, you can eat cooked or raw veggies, bearing in mind that some raw veggies can cause some people significant digestive distress... (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc).

4 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Yes, the meal planning template - making your meals match those recommendations is going to help you get the most out of the program.

Not sure about the sinus pressure - it is cold and flu season so it might be from that or it could be a detox symptom if your way of eating prior to the Whole30 was particularly bad.  If it gets worse, I'd go to the doctor.

And no, you can eat cooked or raw veggies, bearing in mind that some raw veggies can cause some people significant digestive distress... (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc).

The best veggies raw of course;) Maybe I'll grab some carrots then haha, thanks so much for your input!

Archived