Day 9 and feeling groggy!

howellerj

Hi All,

I really didn't have many side effects on my last Whole30, except a little tiredness at the very beginning and feeling unusually cold.  This time around, it has been pretty classic, according to what the book says may happen on the different days.  Except, it mentioned on day nine that, although we may be feeling bloated, we also may be peppy, which I am definitely not!  My body feels weak.  Is anyone else experiencing this on day 9.  Any insights on why I may not be feeling peppy yet?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, howellerj said:

Hi All,

I really didn't have many side effects on my last Whole30, except a little tiredness at the very beginning and feeling unusually cold.  This time around, it has been pretty classic, according to what the book says may happen on the different days.  Except, it mentioned on day nine that, although we may be feeling bloated, we also may be peppy, which I am definitely not!  My body feels weak.  Is anyone else experiencing this on day 9.  Any insights on why I may not be feeling peppy yet?

Usually it's because you're not eating enough, drinking enough water, salting your food.  If you would like some feedback, please feel free to post specific meals, portion sizes, veggies, fat, protein, water consumption and anything else that might be relevant.

I'm following the meal/plate template, with a palm or two of protein, lots of veggies and a fat (two thumbs usually).

Yesterday I had more potatoes than usual, though. 

My meals yesterday were:

Breakfast: Leftover Asian lettuce wrap filling (ground turkey/coconut aminos/spices, etc) with some mashed sweet potato with ghee and black coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch: Leftover sausage, potato & kale soup with a banana

Dinner: two scrambled eggs with onion, bell pepper, spinach and half an avocado

Other than my coffee, I had 2 16 oz containers of tea, and a glass of water.

I have been salting my food, but with sea salt.  Wondering if I should be using regular table salt, which has more iodine.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, howellerj said:

'm following the meal/plate template, with a palm or two of protein, lots of veggies and a fat (two thumbs usually).

Yesterday I had more potatoes than usual, though. 

My meals yesterday were:

Breakfast: Leftover Asian lettuce wrap filling (ground turkey/coconut aminos/spices, etc) with some mashed sweet potato with ghee and black coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch: Leftover sausage, potato & kale soup with a banana

Dinner: two scrambled eggs with onion, bell pepper, spinach and half an avocado

Other than my coffee, I had 2 16 oz containers of tea, and a glass of water.

I have been salting my food, but with sea salt.  Wondering if I should be using regular table salt, which has more iodine.

It actually looks like you’re undereating… Starting with breakfast, the starchy carb is recommended to be a fist sized serving – where is the rest of your plate full of veggies?

Lunch, unless you ate a vat of soup, it’s unlikely that there was enough Kale in there to make up 1-3 cups of veggies (also no fat??)

Dinner – eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping – for veggies that wilt like greens, you need to eat a massive amount of them to make an impact due to the water content and unless you ate an entire onion and one or more peppers, you were likely lacking veggies there as well.

You could try using regular table salt to get the iodine but it’s more than likely that you’re just a bit undernourished.

Thanks, SugarcubeOD!  I was, mistakenly, counting my starchy carb as my vegetable! 

I just had a big green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado and turkey, and will have chicken with Brussels sprouts tonight.  Hopefully, I'll begin to start feeling more pep in my step, soon!

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, howellerj said:

Thanks, SugarcubeOD!  I was, mistakenly, counting my starchy carb as my vegetable! 

I just had a big green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado and turkey, and will have chicken with Brussels sprouts tonight.  Hopefully, I'll begin to start feeling more pep in my step, soon!

You should still have the starchy carb - the recommendation is to start with one fist sized serving a day, more if you are an athlete, especially active, a person on or near their period or a person with mild mood disorder.  The REST of the veggies should be the non starchy and you've got a good selection there for today!  Great!

Hi there! I’m on day 10 and feel like a zombie. Most of my life I’ve had plain oatmeal for breakfast so switching up that meal is the hardest. Coffee w coconut milk is easy enough. Lunch is a protein over salad and I’ll snack on some almonds or a banana. Dinner is also chicken or fish with plenty of veggies, usually broccoli and a tiny sweet potato. 

I’m def having sugar cravings but managing with some berries. 

I just feel so off...

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Robyn H said:

Hi there! I’m on day 10 and feel like a zombie. Most of my life I’ve had plain oatmeal for breakfast so switching up that meal is the hardest. Coffee w coconut milk is easy enough. Lunch is a protein over salad and I’ll snack on some almonds or a banana. Dinner is also chicken or fish with plenty of veggies, usually broccoli and a tiny sweet potato. 

I’m def having sugar cravings but managing with some berries. 

I just feel so off...

Are you eating enough? The meal template calls for 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, that's the length, width, and height of your palm, or if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, probably 3-4. Then, pick one or two of the fat options listed in the template, generally in addition to the oil you cook in. Then fill up the rest of your plate with vegetables, 2-3 cups, probably more if it's raw leafy greens since they break down to nothing. If you're working out, you'd also have pre- and post-workout food, in addition to your three meals. If you have fruit, have it with meals, not on its own.

Also be sure you're drinking plenty of water and salting your food.

Archived