Day 9 and Tempted to Quit

Hi, I started Whole 30 9 days ago. I had a mild cold but no other issues. 3 days into it, the flu pounced out of nowhere. I ran a fever with headache, developed a sore throat and lost my appetite. From then on I've been only grazing. The thought of a hot meal according to the template makes me nauseated. This was further exacerbated by a bad gut reaction to an antibiotic the dr prescribed. 

I'm coughing and feel unwell, fatigued, dizzy and weak. My mini-meals (5-6 x daily) consist of a combination of 3 of the following: bananas, berries, apples, homemade dried fruit, almond butter, carrots, hardboiled eggs, cold chicken, cauliflower rice, pecans, small amount of veggies, small serving of cooked gr beef, and larabars and I'm sipping bone broth throughout the day.

I'm not sure if this diet is helping or hurting my recovery or if it plays a part in how unwell I feel. I have a chronic autoimmune disorder and am 65, which is why the dr prescribed an antibiotic to help my immune system even though I have the flu. Tonight I'm starting a new antibiotic.

I hate to quit since this is my first time and I've invested a lot of time and money into preparation. But I just feel rotten and would kill for some comfort carbs! Advice and wisdom are appreciated!

• Moderators

Whole30 is unlikely to be hurting your recovery, but it is understandable that when you feel unwell, you want the foods you are used to using to feel better. It is ultimately up to you whether you choose to stop whole30 now, but if you do I hope you'll try again when you're feeling better.

For now, foods that might be easier to eat and may help you feel better would be things like baked potatoes or sweet potatoes with ghee or oil and salt, grilled or baked chicken seasoned simply with salt and pepper, broth or soup, maybe some scrambled eggs or a simple egg drop soup. Peppermint or ginger tea may help with nausea. While we still don't think you shoul be eating tons of fruit, bananas or unsweetened applesauce might be good. 

I would avoid nuts and products with nuts, like the Larabars, because they sometimes are hard to digest. 

Archived