Found at Family Dollar

nvj4

Freeze Dried Fruit is not allowed?  This would really suck for me as I've been using the freeze dried Trader Joe's fruit combined with Chomps for my long hikes.  Fresh fruit bruised isn't very appetizing.  Or is it because these particular ones are called "Crisps"?  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, pags98 said:

Freeze Dried Fruit is not allowed?  This would really suck for me as I've been using the freeze dried Trader Joe's fruit combined with Chomps for my long hikes.  Fresh fruit bruised isn't very appetizing.  Or is it because these particular ones are called "Crisps"?  

Freeze dried fruit in itself is not called out - I would personally put these in the same category as apple chips and kale chips... round, crunchy, snack sized bag - they can be easily over eaten without even realizing it.  There are no Whole30 police tho and since freeze dried fruit is not specifically called out, if these hadn't been labelled 'crisps' maybe I wouldn't have been so quick to say no... kind of a gray area and altho fruit is always a decent choice, one should be careful with things like this as they can prop up a sugar dragon and push veggies off the plate.  

Okay good.  I use them very sparingly and really only the freeze dried mango or blueberries from Trader Joes.  I love both but they are not conducive to any movement (and I still haven't figured out how to properly cut a mango!!).  Good news is they're too expensive to buy a lot to overindulge in and the packs are only sold as individual serving options. Even at TJ they're like $3.00/$4.00 a bag.  

On 1/18/2019 at 5:33 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Freeze dried fruit in itself is not called out - I would personally put these in the same category as apple chips and kale chips... round, crunchy, snack sized bag - they can be easily over eaten without even realizing it.  There are no Whole30 police tho and since freeze dried fruit is not specifically called out, if these hadn't been labelled 'crisps' maybe I wouldn't have been so quick to say no... kind of a gray area and altho fruit is always a decent choice, one should be careful with things like this as they can prop up a sugar dragon and push veggies off the plate.  

They are labeled as 'crisps' but look more like banana chips. I'll have a add a picture of them so it's better to judge.

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, nvj4 said:

They are labeled as 'crisps' but look more like banana chips. I'll have a add a picture of them so it's better to judge.

Ya, banana chips would not be allowed the same way plantain chips are not allowed... these might be best left until after your program is done.

They're essentially chips. It's a crunchy, bag-to-hand-to-mouth food. So, something else to think about with these: Serving size. On the back of the peach bag, it says that each bag has 2 peaches in it. I'm presuming the apple says the same. 

If you're going to sit down and have some fruit, are you going to sit down to tuck into 2 whole apples or 2 whole peaches? Probably not. But in a little bag of sweet crunchy yumminess, 2 apples goes down pretty dang easy. 

Archived