Intestinal issues

Brb47

• Moderators

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. It's hard to say what might be going on here without more information. If you give us an example of a day or two of typical meals, including specific vegetables and portion sizes, we can see if anything stands out that might be causing this.

In general, are you eating 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal? Starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes may help with the diarrhea, and in general, cooking vegetables rather than eating them raw can be easier on the digestive system.  

Are you drinking plenty of water? Salting your food? These things are important anyway, but especially if you're having bouts of diarrhea you don't want to get dehydrated.

For now, try to stick to fairly bland foods until you feel better. Baked potatoes or sweet potatoes with a little oil or ghee and salt, baked chicken, broth, maybe scrambled eggs or egg drop soup. If you need to take something like Imodium, do -- you don't need to be miserable.

• 2 weeks later...

My digestion has improved tremendously on Whole30, but I have had major stomach problems three times (Days 19, 21, and 27). Oddly enough, these issues always occurred the morning after we ate out. At each restaurant I ordered simply grilled salmon and specified no butter and just olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then I ordered either steamed vegetables or grilled vegetables with the same specifications. The two things in common for all three occurrences are the salmon and eating at a restaurant. Could it be something that the restaurants are adding? Or could it be the salmon? I grill salmon at home and have no issues. I really wish I could pinpoint what it is. 

Hi I have been on the whole30 for 8 days.  About 3 days into it I started throwing up each night.  And have continued throwing up 1 to 3 times a day.  I do not feel like eating and am only able to eat one meal a day.  Is this normal?  My stomach feels bloated and gassy.  A doctor recommended the whole30 to help reduce inflammation in my spine for a pinched nerve.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Easter said:

Hi I have been on the whole30 for 8 days.  About 3 days into it I started throwing up each night.  And have continued throwing up 1 to 3 times a day.  I do not feel like eating and am only able to eat one meal a day.  Is this normal?  My stomach feels bloated and gassy.  A doctor recommended the whole30 to help reduce inflammation in my spine for a pinched nerve.

Throwing up is not a normal side effect of the WHole30 and we would strongly recommend you go back to your doctor.  

Could you be pregnant?  If not, definitely off to the doctor, throwing up 1-3 times a day is not normal

Hi - I hate to be "TMI" but I too have been intestinally challenged this round of W30.  Specifically, my poop is lighter colored and not as hard.  Sorry for being graphic but I'm really stumped as to why.  I'm eating more nuts and avocados...?

Let me know any insight you can provide.

Thanks.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jorge's Mom said:

Hi - I hate to be "TMI" but I too have been intestinally challenged this round of W30.  Specifically, my poop is lighter colored and not as hard.  Sorry for being graphic but I'm really stumped as to why.  I'm eating more nuts and avocados...?

Let me know any insight you can provide.

Thanks.

Nuts can cause digestive distress so I would cut back on those... we recommend them to be limited anyway - consider a closed handful every other day at most to be the type of limit we're talking about.

Overall, if your poop is lighter colored and softer but it's not impacting your ability to go about your tasks, you're not running to the bathroom hoping it's not too late and it's not a fairly awful experience, our poop will change color and consistency depending on what we eat... you can google the Bristol Stool Chart and see where you fall on the scale...

Archived