High Oleic Oil

1of3isme

Actually, in ISWF I was referring to high oleic (and not sunflower oil) they mentioned specifically to not be good. Not arguing, just curious. I didn’t feel as though the link specifically addressed that, but did address why the dressing was changed.

1F9372B1-0CCE-4537-A85F-2DEF5F26496F.jpeg

• Moderators

I did not remember that from ISWF. I'm not sure if this is a change in the understanding of the science, or just a place where they acknowledge that sometimes you choose things that aren't necessarily the very best option and this is an acknowledgement that this option is okay. It does seem clear from a paragraph in this article about Rules vs. Recommendations that they still don't think the high oleic oils are the best option, but have said they are allowed on whole30. 

"In Chapter 9 of It Starts With Food, we discuss all the reasons that seed (vegetable) oils like soybean, peanut, canola, corn, or grapeseed violate our Good Food standards and should be off your everyday plate. However, if we eliminated all vegetable oils from the Whole30 program, you’d never be able to dine outside of your own home! All restaurants use some form of vegetable oil in their cooking. A ban on all oils would mean you could never have a business lunch, grab a compliant burger at the airport, or enjoy a date night at your favorite bistro. And that would make the Whole30 plain old impossible for most of you.

So, we ban the seed oils specifically off-limits according to the Whole30 “no grains, no legumes” rules (corn oil, rice bran oil, soybean oil, and peanut oil), and encourage you to limit your use of the others (like safflower, sunflower, canola, grapeseed, or sesame) at home, while not specifically excluding them on the program. That means don’t use canola as your primary cooking fat in your own kitchen; there are much healthier choices outlined in our shopping list. But don’t stress about using high-oleic safflower or sunflower oil in your homemade mayo, or eating eggs fried in canola while out to brunch with your friends. See our Guide to Dining Out for more details on how to navigate your way around a restaurant menu (and their cooking oils)."

(Article here:  https://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/)

Archived