New Paleo Moms' Whole30 Log!

MommaMawby

So, as I wrote on the FB page here is our forum log.

Chat, grumble, whine, forgot things, learn things, anything goes as long as we keep it related to the Whole30. Post pictures of food, post pictures of kids refusing said food (have one, it is awesome), rantings are more than welcome too. Recipes, links to blogs, or whatever....just Whole30 related.

Think of this as a safe place to just allow all those sugar detox thoughts roam free....or write half a sentence and forget where you were going, it's all good, no judgement.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah! I found you guys:) Day 4 for me! I am a...I was a sugar-addict in terms of: drinking a soy chai everymorning. Every. morning. Then eating high carbs to manage my swing from one sugar high to the next...lovely! It is day 4 and I am really craving and missing my chia and carbs....BUT I am in it for the long haul! I am hoping it gets easier with time! I definately do well when I have a community of peeps who are in the same boat as me. So good to encourage one another!

Oh a mothers group : ). Also day 4. Really struggling, not sure if I actually getting sick or if this is just normal, totally flat and no energy.

I am the only one in my house whole30ing. Is anyone else in this situation? How are you coping?

I'm just finishing Day 3. So far I haven't had too many problems. Not feeling ill, no really strong cravings. While I have been very AWARE of the triggers for mindless eating, I haven't given in to any yet.

Day 4 seems to be a challenging milestone for just about everyone. I will know for myself tomorrow...

Hang in there, everyone.

I would love to join in also! I am on day 4. Mother of 3: two girls ages 7 and 9, and a son who's 14. I have been eating Paleo for about 6 weeks but this is my first W30. It all began with trying to see if cleaning up my youngest daughter's diet would help her moods/concentration. She is such an awesome, funny kid but tends to go off the rails with too much sugar/gluten/proceessed food. She is doing awesome with the Paleo but I am not expecting her to go whole 30 with me...she loves her dark chocolate in her lunch box 😊. The other 2 kids eat what I make and have at home, but do have outside influences such as friends' houses etc.

I have to say that eating Paleo really changed things for me. I have always been an emotional eater...always thinking about food...always hungry. I have never been overweight but about 15 pounds have crept on the last few years, making me very uncomfortable for my frame. After going Paleo, I have dropped weight, feel satiated without snacking, and am no longer constantly bloated. I feel a lot of this comes from the protein and fat. It's amazing to break all the conventional "rules" that we are bombarded with (avoid fats, eat lots of small meals throughout the day, fill up on beans and grains) and feel great! I hope this W30 just bumps it up even more. Good luck everyone!

Ugh, tonight is going to be tough. We have a pizza party. I offered to bring salad, with the intention of also bringing some grilled chicken. But, the chicken got a bit overdone (my fault for multitasking) and I don't have time to make more. I guess I'm eating plain salad for dinner.

Well I am back from my three stop grocery shopping....400 dollars later I have two fridges bursting with fresh veggies, a fruit bowl overflowing, a chest freezer that is packed to the brim...and I bought myself a treat....macadamia nuts. If I am taking away every snack I enjoy I am going to devour raw macadamias as my "treat". Now, given that they are nature's little fat bomb, I know that I will need to exercise some restraint but while the hubs is eating popcorn and having root beer (real A&W root beer, the good stuff, I could have killed him when I saw it in the fridge) I am going to have some herbal tea (probably valerian because I am so strung out on the detox bends I could .... well, either scream and yell at everyone or just fall asleep) and nuts.

Meanwhile for dinner we are making....chorizo style meatballs (courtesy of Practical Paleo), some herbed cauli-rice (The Paleo Mom), and baked asparagus! I had some the left over shrimp and pork for lunch along with 2.5 cups of mixed greens. That, my friends, is a huge salad.

Tonight we are roasting red peppers so we can make a big ol' batch of Red Pepper soup from PaleOmg. We are also fully stocked to make what looks like a bomb chilli from The Civilized Caveman's site tomorrow. Oh and turkey "burgers" shall be cooked on the bbq tomorrow with some as yet undecided sides, there will probably be a salad involved because salad and bbq seem to be permanently linked in my mind.

My kids are mad at me for removing most of their fun treats....I had to explain that sadly they live under the rule of a sugar starved tyrant right now and they will eat what I make or they will wait until the next meal. I then read out the ingredients on one of the five year olds "fruit gummy" candies. When I stopped he asked me where the fruit was. Point. Set. Match. He asked for an apple. Score.

And that is my day.

Hi Tam, Glimmer, AndiD and Junelily....welcome to the crew. We are on Facebook too...if you are like me and find yourself whiling away the hours in cyberspace....feel free to join that group too.... just search New Paleo Moms....then request to join :) I love fb for that split second brain dump you just have to get out. And sharing pictures.

Glimmer - I am the only one in my house that is Whole30ing it but, I have converted the hubs and beans to paleo although, not without some drama. My beans are 3 and 5.

So I have been trying out a new app I bought for my iPhone a few days ago called Weight Snap. It is a pretty simple format, you can take pictures of your meals and it will keep a record by the day. You can even rate it by highlighting it green, yellow, or red. I really don't like food journaling (I feel like i start becoming obsessive) but I like the idea of being able to keep track of those great meals or combinations. I figure when I get stuck or need some inspiration I can look back and remember a great salad combo or recipe.

Today is Day 5, and I am going strong!

Last night I made the mistake of eating less at dinner than I should have. I didn't mean to, but the pork chops were thinner than I thought, others were hungry so I passed on second helpings, etc..... typical mom moves, right?

Anyway, an hour or so after dinner I was wanting a little something else. I decided to nosh on 4 pineapple spears, and they were good, but.... still not satisfied. So I checked out my munchies stash, and I found a handful of pistachios left in an almost-empty bag. Seemed like an ok choice, can't overdo it because there are only a few left, and they were yummy, but.... still not satisfied.

So (finally) I asked myself THE QUESTION: Would you eat steamed fish and broccoli right now? And the answer was, "OMG YES! SOMEONE BRING ME SOME OF THAT!" And then I knew: You are hungry, dummy! :rolleyes: I nabbed a grilled chicken thigh from the fridge, heated it up, and it did the job. I will try not to make the mistake of undereating again, and if I do, I'll go for real food instead of pointless snacking or (as would have been the case pre-w30) indulging in desserts.

Today is Day 5, and I am going strong!

So (finally) I asked myself THE QUESTION: Would you eat steamed fish and broccoli right now? And the answer was, "OMG YES! SOMEONE BRING ME SOME OF THAT!" And then I knew: You are hungry, dummy! :rolleyes: I nabbed a grilled chicken thigh from the fridge, heated it up, and it did the job. I will try not to make the mistake of undereating again, and if I do, I'll go for real food instead of pointless snacking or (as would have been the case pre-w30) indulging in desserts.

That's great! Good for you for knowing the difference and seeing you really needed something. One of the best things I've found about this plan is that it really makes us look at our food choices before we make them. I have found that the time I really feel hungry is around 8:00 or 9:00pm. Normally I would have just had a snack but now I ask myself if I really need something...so far I haven't. A little peppermint tea and I'm good. Goes to show that all these years I probably didn't need those nighttime snacks I was dependent on!

Found you guys on FB. Yay. Day 6 here, day of cooking. Fridge is packed full of containers of cooked chicken, mince meat and mayo.

I did stuff up with the shopping (note to self, don't shop with the kids)'and grabbed a jar of olives without reading the label...got home and yep sugar in them...sigh. Back to the shop they go.

Glimmer, isn't it amazing what they put in our food? Who needs sugar in their olives? I wanted to buy some canned clams and was amazed at the ingredients in the brand I used to buy. I found a brand from Maine that had just clams, salt, and water. I paid 4x as much for them.

I used to wonder why in the world it costs more money to leave something out. Fewer ingredients, less processing should mean less expensive, right? I have come to realize that the sugar and other additives are needed to disguise a poor quality product, and leaving them out means the product itself has to be good.

Too bad you have to pay so much more, AndiD, but it really is the good stuff -- it has to be, or you would know. And you are worth it.

Start of Day 6.

Last night I made Bora Bora Fireballs (meatballs made with pineapple and coconut flakes; got the recipe off of Callan's w30 log.) for dinner along with baked sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli/cauliflower/asparagus. Everyone enjoyed it.

I'm sporting a bit of a head cold today, but I won't let that get me down. I am going to try treating it with chicken bone broth.

My sugar dragon is still cowering under a rock somewhere, waiting to catch me off guard. Not. Going to. Happen.

Gooding morning ladies!

Well yesterday was another successful day. My dinner was delicious (roast beef, cauliflower rice and salad) I was going strong all night until the hubs brought out a cheese, pickle, pepperoni plate for himself to nosh on if front of the tv. Then I wanted a cookie, in a "I would sell my first born" kinda way. Downed two cups of Relaxing Blend tea - it was delicious.

I am looking forward to a super easy day today, food wise, as we went on a cooking bender this weekend. Which is awesome. I love it when I can mindlessly throw a meal together of pure food.

How is everyone else doing this monday?

MommaMawby - Doing well today. Scrambled eggs with veggies and a banana for breakfast. I have a grilled chicken breast with salad packed in my cooler for lunch, along with some baby carrots in case that is not enough. We will be having a pork roast for dinner. The kids and hubby wil have mashed potatoes, I'll have a baked sweet potato. We'll also have brussel sprouts with that. I plan on hitting the gym while the pork is roasting. I need to get a food processor so that I can try that cauliflower rice.

I also find that drinking tea will cure the nighttime munchies.

AndiD - you can grate the cauliflower with a box type grater if you have one. The pieces are bigger and it can be a bit messier but it works really well (we only just invested in the processor to make soups and sauces). In fact, in Practical Paleo (or the Balanced Bites web page) the recipe there actually uses a box grater rather than a food processor :)

Towards the end of Day 8. I'm not feeling too great, mostly because of the head/chest cold I have had for 2-3 days, but I don't feel like quitting, either.

I screwed up today and didn't take anything out of the freezer for dinner. Luckily, I had some frozen wild shrimp from Trader Joe's (recommended in another post) that defrosted in no time. I sauteed them in ghee with a bit of garlic and lemon juice and served them with some steamed veggies and a simple salad. It was a light dinner, but no one complained. In fact, everyone raved about how good it was.

Right now I am entering a danger zone. The last time I tried following a specific nutrition program (South Beach diet) I lasted for about 10 days. I don't want that to prove to be a pattern; I don't want to lose my mojo this week. I want to do THE WHOLE 30! I am on my guard.

Archived