New Paleo Moms' Whole30 Log!

MommaMawby

Start of Day 9. Hanging in there.

The usual hectic morning. I had breakfast later than I'm supposed to, but what's new? I really enjoyed the sweet potato "fritters" I made with grated sweet potato, onion, egg and a wee bit of coconut flour, fried in coconut oil and topped with two over easy eggs. Yum!

I bought Sarah Fragoso's books yesterday, (Everyday Paleo and Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook) and I'm going out this morning to pick up ingredients to try making my own ketchup and BBQ sauce. I'll let you know how they turn out....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AndiD

I believe you can buy ghee online or at Whole Foods but it is a lot more expensive than making your own. It is a pretty simple process if you have access to pastured butter (unsalted). I buy the Kerrygold brand at Trader Joe's. I believe there are specific instructions on the Nom Nom Paleo website. One block of butter makes about a half pint of ghee for just a few dollars. I go through a lot of it, soi it is worthwhile to me to make a batch once a week!

Day 10

Tonight for dinner we had simple baked chicken legs sprinkled with garlic powder and "ras al hanout," a spice blend from Well Fed. Also made zucchini noodles and fried plantains with lime juice. A 100% w30-approved meal, enjoyed by all.

I'm hanging in there, but I am definitely in a danger zone. My problem with programs I have tried in the past was that, beyond about 10 days they became tedious, AND I began to feel sick/hungry/depleted. Well, I feel great. And I think if I can keep my spontaneous, impulsive, boredom-prone self interested for a few more days, I'll be past the danger zone. At this point, I have already stuck with this -- fully 100% committed -- longer than anything I've ever tried before.

I'm right there with you! In the past I have tried changing the way I eat and last a week or so before something gets in the way. It's usually finding myself unprepared that does me in, so I have made an extra effort to really plan out meals or have compliant ingredients on hand so I have no excuses.

I feel like the paleo way of eating really works for me but the W30 has been much more of a challenge. So far so good though but feeling really tired today. Probably has more to do with being back at work full time this week after a long holiday break than anything though! Three kiddos and their homework & sports doesn't help either ðŸ˜

The difference this time is that I haven't been reaching for comfort food to ease me out of the slump. I know now that would only add to the problem...so happy to feel in control! Reading a few chapters everyday of the book ISWF helps keep me on track too.

Day 11

Spinach-stuffed omelet for breakfast with black coffee. Then did a lot of grocery shopping and prep cooking, and grazed my way through a "lunch" of sorts: about 4 slices of compliant bacon, 6 baby carrots, a half handful of almonds... Hey, it pretty much worked out.

Tonight I am making Nom Nom Paleo's "World's Best Braised Cabbage" with pork chops and maybe a green salad.

Currently I am looking for recipes/suggestions for 1) packable lunch foods and 2) easy quick snacks. I am planning to make some jerky. I have a dozen hard-boiled eggs and some homemade mayo, so devilled eggs! Etc. But would love to know your ideas. :)

If you already have the eggs boiled and you have mince/sausage meat around scotch eggs are a great/easy/compliant protein and fat for a packed lunch.

I make mini frittata things ins muffin tins with sautéed meat and veg and then scramble eggs and coconut milk, pour over the top and bake.

End of Day 14. I can't believe I have made it this far! This is the best and longest I have ever stuck to a program. And it's working!

So tonight the family wanted spaghetti. I had compliant tomato sauce. I made compliant meatballs. I let them have their noodles (for now,) but I had mine over leftover Nom Nom Paleo's World's Best Braised Cabbage.

World's Best Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls. YUM!!!

Still struggling with what to pack for hubby's lunch. The Scotch eggs suggestion rocks, and I will have to get right on that! Yesterday I gave him homemade chicken veggie soup and a salad, and he liked it. Today he got leftover meatballs and a salad. It's an adjustment.

Start of Day 16. Can that be right? Is this for real? Wow!

Yesterday I went to my grocer, to the deli, and asked them to show me the labels on several varieties of lunch meat I have purchased in the past and liked. They were really nice about it, and I discovered that one of them seems to be compliant -- no sugar, no nasty stuff. Hooray!

So, today hubby's lunch contained sliced turkey rolled up around shaved carrot, a spear of cucumber, a slice of avocado, a spear of asparagus and a smear (or is it a schmear? :) ) of homemade mayo. He is going to love that

He says he is going to start a spreadsheet of his daily blood sugar readings, weekly weigh-ins, etc.for his next doctor appointment, hoping it will give him ammunition in the fight over taking him off of certain meds. :wub: What a geek! :wub::lol:

Start of Day 17.

Nothing interesting to report food-wise. Made a chicken curry with roasted veggies for dinner. Turkey sausage and butternut squash/turnip hash with eggs for breakfast.

Note, however, that I am feeling better every day. Today, for instance, I am simply energetic and happy. I plan to have some fun at the local downtown farmer's market today and "harass" some vendors: how do your animals live? are they happy? can I come visit your farm? etc. I also plan to start volunteering at the market about once a week as soon as I do some required training. So those vendors are going to be seeing a lot of me! :)

I also know that I am losing weight. I don'r need the scale to tell me that. My pants are telling me every time they start slipping dangerously low. :lol: And I can feel that my stomach is flatter, especially when I am sleeping on it.

And I am pretty sure that my hormones are getting back to normal. No TMI -- let's just say that some things that were not feeling right are happily back to normal. Hell, let's just say this old lady is feeling younger and friskier. But that is saying enough. :ph34r:

Oh, and my skin is BEAUTIFUL!

That is my interim report. Just over the halfway point of my Whole30: Nan is a happy camper!

Glad to hear everything is going so well! Volunteering at the farmers market sounds fun.

I have also noticed the biggest difference for me is my stomach is flatter! Feels great not to have that bloat.

The last few days I have been feeling tired but then I realized I have not been drinking enough water. I think that makes a big difference for me. I truly never get thirsty so I have to remind myself to drink water. I always get my morning/evening tea in because it's a comfort but getting enough water in between is my challenge. It has made a big difference in my energy level. I love how this challenge really makes us look at the details of our habits and how they affect us. I also love not feeling the need to snack! 😊

I hear ya, junelily! I had breakfast before 8:00 this morning, and I was off on my mission. Didn't get home until after 2:00, and I was hungry, but not out-of-control starving. That, too, is the new normal.

I talked to my daughter about all this today,how much I like this "diet" and how great I feel. She did not inherit my love of cooking, eats a really lousy diet, struggles with depression and other serious health issues... Her response? She asked for this website's address, could she borrow my copy of ISWF, and would I help her start making some of the same changes? :wub:

Start of Day 18.

Had my first all-out battle with one of my dragons last night -- the previously-undefeated diet Pepsi dragon. The baby was really sick, (SO much vomiting!) and I was tired, worried, stressed... and grossed out! That cold Pepsi Max was calling my name, and I came very, very close to answering the call! But I didn't. And what do you know? Today is a whole new day, he feels better, and I'm glad I didn't cave.

Day 19.

Two significant things happening: First, the dragons have been circling. Right on schedule, eh? I've had mostly minor cravings for sugar, carbs and pop for the first time since starting my w30. (As an aside, I enjoy picturing them this way. I'm not fighting myself or my body or cravings that just come at me from some mystical sphere. I'm fighting ugly, evil, crafty dragons that think they take me down. That sound you hear is me putting on my battle armor and drawing my big old sword! :angry: )

The other thing is the dreams. I'm having the weird, vivid eating dreams everyone talks about, but in mine, all the things I have dream-eaten were compliant! :lol: I had one dream where I was a nurse who lives in a big hospital, and I was cooking a meal of chicken and broccoli for my sick patients. Don't need Dr. Freud to tell me what THAT means!

Oh, this is an adventure!

Like you, I had been doing pretty well in the cravings department until the last 2 days. Last night I had the worst craving for buttered popcorn! Don't know why since it's not exactly my favorite snack, but it just sounded so good for some reason. I managed to just say no. I had some tea and went to bed. So glad I didn't cave! Today it's dark chocolate calling my name...

On the up side I made the most amazing chicken salad for lunch. I definitely am not lacking for good whole 30 food. I actually love eating this way...it's weird the cravings are hitting so hard now.

I had a day like that last week. At breakfast I just couldn't bring myself to eat a big breakfast even though I knew I had a long work day ahead. All I could eat was a couple of eggs. Even though I filled up later at lunch, it really affected the rest of my day. I had no energy! I knew I was setting myself up but just couldn't face a big breakfast. I guess we can't expect perfection everyday. But super proud to have had no slip-ups in my food choices so far 😀

Hello everyone -

Glad this forum is here - learning so much from reading your posts! I am on my first W30, (actually had to reset after my first 5 days). I'm considering today to be my first day after caving (and realizing how deep my issues are!) over the weekend (major dysfunctional relationship with food). Wow. Now THAT was a major head trip.

I've looked into Paleo before but didn't think I could handle the amount of meat (was mostly vegetarian before), and promptly looked the other way. Then I started a bootcamp program 6 weeks ago (which is kicking my butt in an awesome way), and one of the women there started telling me about her W30, which she started first of January. I was intrigued, and decided that this is the time to try something new and see if it helps me get rid of some of the stubborn stuff around my middle, as well as just give me more energy and vitality overall.

Re-started this morning, had a yummy breakfast of eggs cooked with red and yellow bell peppers, onions, and a big salad of greens with some avocado on the side.

I think my biggest concern is not knowing if I'm eating the right foods/amounts, especially when it comes to fats. It's really hard to reverse the mentality of removing fats from your diet to actually incorporating them, and knowing how much is enough vs. too much or too little.

I really hope being a part of the forums is going to help me stay on track! You ladies are awesome, I hope I make it as far as you have without caving again.

It's a cool problem to have -- to go from being voraciously hungry and snacking and grazing at all hours of the day to being content with 3 (maybe 4) nutritious meals a day. And I suppose if you find yourself really hungry at some meals and not so hungry at others, it's probably fine as long as your overall balance for the day is in line.

This morning, for example, I did not want to eat anything at all. I coerced myself into having a slice of turkey wrapped around some fresh veggies and a little homemade mayo. And it was nice, actually. When lunchtime came, I still had a low appetite, so I warmed up a roasted sweet potato and topped it with a bit of ghee and some compliant pumpkin butter. That was really yummy, and I ended up following it up with some meatballs and tomato sauce. At this point, I suppose I am light on veggies for the day, but my appetite is correcting itself, and tonight I can have a bit of steak and a big veggie-ful salad for dinner.

Anyway, welcome halas1! Lots of information, inspiration and support on these boards. Good luck!

Well, I was not planning to extend my first w30 past 30. I really want to do a controlled reintroduction and get the most information necessary -- my personal science experiment as suggested in ISWF.

However...... turns out I have a blood draw scheduled on Feb. 13. I want it to be a clean blood draw, so as of now I'm planning on a Whole43. (I think.)

Archived