Day 21 and ready to quit

Background: 

I’ve done two whole30s before, originally 3 years ago to heal a leaky gut and it has worked wonders. I’ve eaten mostly paleo then, until about the last six months when I started consistently adding grains back into my diet. As a marathon runner, this felt great. I definitely noticed that I had more energy. The problem was with more grains came more sugar and more stomach problems associated with running. Needing to scale back, I went whole30 again. 

I’m feeling really discouraged. I’m noticing some good effects (better sleep, and just feeling better mentally knowing I’m putting all nutrient dense clean foods into my body) but I am SO. BLOATED. It’s so uncomfortable to the point of feeling my stomach is distended. I feel like it’s preventing me from knowing when I’m full and when I’m actually hungry. I’m also definitely more tired, especially in the afternoons. I’m positive I am eating enough, and I’m trying to get a good amount of carbohydrates in there. I’ve tried taking digestive enzymes but those haven’t helped. Can anyone help me figure out what’s going on? I don’t want to throw in the towel on whole30 but I’m really struggling. 

Thanks!

I've been having the same problem for the past few days, but mostly after I eat. It seems like proteins are the culprit for me because I can eat veggies and fruits with no problem. I had really severe pains on Thursday and Friday last week and now even thinking about chicken or eggs or any other protein (I generally don't go for red meat, but I do eat fish) makes me extremely nauseous. 

I don't know if this will help you, but Saturday I tried some espresso and it helped me pass a bowel movement and released some of the gas (gross, I know, but it was such a relief). I felt a lot better after that.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, samianne724 said:

Background: 

I’ve done two whole30s before, originally 3 years ago to heal a leaky gut and it has worked wonders. I’ve eaten mostly paleo then, until about the last six months when I started consistently adding grains back into my diet. As a marathon runner, this felt great. I definitely noticed that I had more energy. The problem was with more grains came more sugar and more stomach problems associated with running. Needing to scale back, I went whole30 again. 

I’m feeling really discouraged. I’m noticing some good effects (better sleep, and just feeling better mentally knowing I’m putting all nutrient dense clean foods into my body) but I am SO. BLOATED. It’s so uncomfortable to the point of feeling my stomach is distended. I feel like it’s preventing me from knowing when I’m full and when I’m actually hungry. I’m also definitely more tired, especially in the afternoons. I’m positive I am eating enough, and I’m trying to get a good amount of carbohydrates in there. I’ve tried taking digestive enzymes but those haven’t helped. Can anyone help me figure out what’s going on? I don’t want to throw in the towel on whole30 but I’m really struggling. 

Thanks!

Can you list out what you've been eating and the quantities so we can see if anything stands out?  Are you eating a lot of raw veggies or lots of crucifers? Drinking lots of sparkling water, eating lots of nuts and dried fruit?  Those are all things that can contribute to bloating but if you list out your meals maybe we can see what stands out.

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for your response. I didn't write down the quantities of what I ate, but after looking at my notes from past whole30s and thinking about it again, I'm pretty sure its a FODMAP intolerance, specifically to fructans! I've had a lot of broccoli, garlic, onion, pistachios, dates, and grapefruit seltzer (double whammy), and had trouble with FODMAPs and specifically fructans in the past, too. Could it be that whole30 brings out my fructan sensitivity? If so, why and how? I love all of these foods and don't want to have to give them up, but it's looking like I'm going to have to...

Archived