Hard time with proteins

Starting Thursday night, my body has completely decided to reject all things chicken related. Thursday night I got severe stomach pains and cramping that continued through Friday and Saturday. Sunday was a little better. I actually stayed home from work Friday because every time I moved it got worse. Now, I can barely get down eggs or chicken and I get nauseous immediately. I don't know what to do! I'm on day 21 and I don't want to quit, but I literally cannot eat my proteins. Help!

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, megbeveridge said:

Starting Thursday night, my body has completely decided to reject all things chicken related. Thursday night I got severe stomach pains and cramping that continued through Friday and Saturday. Sunday was a little better. I actually stayed home from work Friday because every time I moved it got worse. Now, I can barely get down eggs or chicken and I get nauseous immediately. I don't know what to do! I'm on day 21 and I don't want to quit, but I literally cannot eat my proteins. Help!

Chicken and eggs are not the only source of protein?  Pork, beef, fish, shellfish... 

16 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Chicken and eggs are not the only source of protein?  Pork, beef, fish, shellfish... 

I am aware of this. I had fish last night and that was easier, but my body still didn't like it. I was previously vegetarian so going for red meats doesn't seem to be in my best interest in terms of digestion. I may have to bite the bullet and try it though.

Since my last post seemed unclear, I'm making a new one. Starting Thursday night, my body has completely decided to reject all things protein. Thursday night I got severe stomach pains and cramping that continued through Friday and Saturday. Sunday was a little better. I actually stayed home from work Friday because every time I moved it got worse. Now, I can barely get down eggs or chicken and I get nauseous immediately. I was previously a vegetarian so I've been avoiding red meats as they will be hard on my stomach. I got turkey over the weekend, but it seems to be the same as chicken. Thinking that it might be my gut biome, I also started probiotics over the weekend and I've now ordered digestive enzymes to see if they help. I don't know what to do! I'm on day 21 and I don't want to quit, but I literally cannot eat my proteins. Help!

• Moderators

So, the meal template is a recommendation, it is not a rule. In general, most people do best following it most of the time, but you can do a whole30 without following it.

Perhaps try something like a soup -- chicken soup with lots of vegetables, fresh ginger to help with digestion, with the chicken in small pieces hidden in with everything else? 

Ouch! That sucks. I know a few people who's gut just doesn't like meat proteins.

I saw in your Log thread that you used to be vegetarian, have you had a lurk around the Whole 30 for vegetarians forum and the resources for veggo W30 to see what they're subbing out, maybe try a few vegetarian days to let your gut settle?

2 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Ouch! That sucks. I know a few people who's gut just doesn't like meat proteins.

I saw in your Log thread that you used to be vegetarian, have you had a lurk around the Whole 30 for vegetarians forum and the resources for veggo W30 to see what they're subbing out, maybe try a few vegetarian days to let your gut settle?

I got the idea for digestive enzymes from the recommendations for vegetarians in the W30 book. I've been eating little to no meat since Thursday now, so that could be why my stomach has been settling. Just the idea of chicken should not make me want to vom though! It's also just weird that it started in the third week. I would have expected this kind of reaction earlier. 

I'll definitely go check out the vegetarian thread to see what I can find. Thanks!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, megbeveridge said:

I am aware of this. I had fish last night and that was easier, but my body still didn't like it. I was previously vegetarian so going for red meats doesn't seem to be in my best interest in terms of digestion. I may have to bite the bullet and try it though.

I wasn't aware you're a previous vegetarian from your post.  Have you considered trying a probiotic or digestive enzyme to help with protein digestion?  Sometimes when you start adding something that's a bit harder to digest like protein, it can create some difficulty and a digestive enzyme can help.  There are compliant ones on the market - if you google 'whole30 compliant digestive enzyme' you should be able to find something you can get online or in your area.

Thanks @SugarcubeOD and @SchrodingersCat! I ordered a digestive enzyme that should be coming tomorrow (fingers crossed). I also make myself a cup of ginger tea every once in a while. I have fresh ginger so I just boil water and pour it over a couple of cut pieces. Yesterday I was able to eat some chicken zoodle soup so that's progress!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, megbeveridge said:

Update: my enzymes came in and I feel completely better! Had chicken zoodle and some turkey tenderloin yesterday and had a little bit of a reaction, but with the supplement today I feel great!

Wonderful! :) 

Archived