Day 23, Second trimester, still exhausted

Hi, this is my fourth Whole 30 but my first while pregnant. 

This Whole 30 I never got my Tiger Blood. I'm really frustrated, too, because I am having a hard time finding any NSVs at all! I know I am growing another human, but second trimester is supposed to be the easier part and all I want to do is sleep. I having trouble staying focused at work, and after eating dinner at night, I go to bed. Sometimes as early as 6:30!

I am taking a prenatal vitamin, and my normal meals look something like this:

• Meal 1: 2-3 eggs, leafy green vegetables, sweet potato or white potato, fruit such as half an orange or berries, and bacon, avocado, or pesto. 
  • Meal 2 (Mini-meal): An orange and an Epic bar or meat stick
  • Meal 3: Soup from the slow cooker cookbook, half an avocado, hard-boiled egg
  • Meal 4 (Mini-meal): Larabar
  • Meal 5: Some kind of meat, some mix of veggies, and a fat source, recipe usually from Whole 30 cookbook or a website. 

I am pretty sure I am doing this right. Again, this is my fourth. I am keeping the journal this round, too. 

Anyways, again, I am very frustrated and feel like maybe I need to incorporate grains or something for more energy. I don't feel too hungry, and overall the food is good. 

• Moderators

Your meals look like they may be on the small side. Are you following the Meal Template portion recommendations? Keep in mind these are the minimum recommended amounts. I'm especially looking at your fat intake. 

Another thought, if you can make your meals bigger, you may not need two snacks a day. We recommend not eating Larabars except in the case of true emergencies (stuck in traffic or hours late at work). 

5 hours ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

Your meals look like they may be on the small side. Are you following the Meal Template portion recommendations? Keep in mind these are the minimum recommended amounts. I'm especially looking at your fat intake. 

Another thought, if you can make your meals bigger, you may not need two snacks a day. We recommend not eating Larabars except in the case of true emergencies (stuck in traffic or hours late at work). 

I’ve always used the meal template and add extra fat when needed. I also use fat to cook everything. Should I be eating a whole avocado instead of a half?

• Moderators

Half an avocado should be enough, but if you are still hungry in less than 4 hours, maybe try increasing your protein at each meal. 

I mentioned fat because you aren't including fat in your mini-meals. We suggest making mini-meals a combination to inclued protein or fat (try to avoid just carbs as they are the least satiating).

Keep on experimenting and see if you can get to 4-5 hours between meals. 

Have you been pregnant before? If yes, how does this compare? Fatigue is a natural byproduct of pregnancy - and it's different than the post-partum fatigue caused by the baby's schedule. All of my pregnancies requires afternoon naps on my days off and more hours of sleep at night. By baby #4, I was exhausted all the time. I'm wondering if Tiger Blood is even possible during pregnancy? Desired, yes but possible? I don't know.

Good luck with completing your W30 - your baby will be loving all this amazing quality protein and nutritious veg! Bet s/he is growing like a weed in there :)

Archived